Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

Ok, so i will ad myself, allthough im wonder why i dont be Admin , on Pyra i am Admin.. ..
Unless there's something that I'm missing, on Linux the "Admin" is the user "root", but it's never a good idea to use it as the main user.

The purpose of the "sudoers" list is to grant temporary "root privileges" to a normal user.
Once you have added your user to that list, every time you use the command "sudo" you are able to launch things with the same powers of the "root" user (but without using it).

Just as a comparison, on the last versions of Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10) there is a similar function called "run as administrator", because even there it was better to make people stick with a normal user with temporary powers instead of letting them use always administrator users.

Yes, I think you're right, although you're using weird terminology for things. On linux the superuser is the user 'root', and indeed I'd never use anything that opens a networking port as root. Sudoers is a config file that defines the actions that various user groups are allowed to do, and you add users to those action groups by adding them to user groups, using 'usermod -a -G <sudo group> <username>' (which you generally need to do with root privs.

I think Matzesu misspoke if we assume admin means root. Perhaps he means a user that's already in a sudoers group, so that he can access superuser privs without knowing the root password, but I don't know how debian is set up on the Pyra.

Whit Admin i dit mean the Guy wo have the Root Rights, yes,
I tryed the Sudeors command yesterday but it ditnt found the file..
On the Sudoers Directory, there is just a Readme File..

I downloaded the last Wine tzg Ptitseb postet yesterday but then there was a few minutes bevore 10 pm, and as my Parents go to sleep at this time, and i had to shower, i was ending my Try to get Wine.. ;(

Maybe i try to make a new attempt today afternoon, but maybe its better to move this to the weekend..

The Pythian is allready quite usefull: Youtube (1080p), Office work etc,
My Plan for this Afternoon is to make a bit order in my ROMS on Pyra, which will be made whit the Big Computer ^^

To get Debian working was allready a big step forward, so i dont be in a hurry..

Installing the 7.0 wine 64bits version I linked before is not really complicated:
Code:
cd ~
wget https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/7.0/wine-7.0-amd64.tar.xz
tar xf wine-7.0-amd64.tar.xz
rm wine-7.0-amd64.tar.xz
mv wine-7.0-amd64 wine
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wineserver /usr/local/bin/wineserver
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wine64 /usr/local/bin/wine64
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wineboot /usr/local/bin/wineboot
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/winecfg /usr/local/bin/winecfg
And you are good to code.
You can also do
Code:
wineboot -u
To do a proprer initialisation of your wineprefix. It will ask if you want to download and install mono and gecko (I suggest you answer Yes to both).
Once it's done, you can alter you settings with
Code:
winecfg
You launch you exe files with
Code:
wine MYPROGRAM.exe
or
Code:
wine64 MYPROGRAM.exe
If it's 64bits (but it will end up calling the correct one anyway if you use the wrong one, so no worries here)
finaly, you can use
Code:
wine explorer
If you want to have thhe old "windows" file manager...

Reactions: rSl
Might be i have now the issue that i allready made this installing, but not the right way, so i wonder how to deinstall the old installations..

Might be i have now the issue that i allready made this installing, but not the right way, so i wonder how to deinstall the old installations..
I have no idea what installation you have done, and what error you have made, there is no way I can give you a universal recipe to fix everything.
You need to tell me what error you have, or at least what kind of installation you already done.

As I don’t have any clues what I have done, and this Installation was anyway not to the best, I decided to just make the whole Debian new,
So this means when I just make everything what you dit Post new, it should now work ..

Ok, i got a small sucess: Box and Wine seems to run, but as i have only synaptic, i need to get my Graphics Driver, so i try now to install also KDE, get use the Package Manager of this Window Manager to hopefully be able to get also nonfree Packages,
then i hope, Rigs of Rods and the Steam Stuff should work as i was allready able to install exe Files ^^

Ok, i got a small sucess: Box and Wine seems to run, but as i have only synaptic, i need to get my Graphics Driver, so i try now to install also KDE, get use the Package Manager of this Window Manager to hopefully be able to get also nonfree Packages,
then i hope, Rigs of Rods and the Steam Stuff should work as i was allready able to install exe Files ^^
do
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add a ligne like this (if you are on bullseye - debian 11-, adapt if it's not the case).
Code:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
exit nano with Ctrl-X
than
Code:
sudo apt update
finaly
Code:
sudo apt install firmware-amd-graphics
to install the AMD firmware if I remember correctly.

Thanks I found a not that professional solution as I don’t read your post bevor: there is allready a User „Root“ which got these rights, and whit his help, I was able to get the non free stuff,
I don’t got something to run , maybe I need Internet for steam (after install the firmware, I went back to matzesu ), and to install Direkt X 9 on Wine if this works like this , at least I should now have the graphics driver..
Next evening is for bring my Computer to the software I need ..

Thanks I found a not that professional solution as I don’t read your post bevor: there is allready a User „Root“ which got these rights, and whit his help, I was able to get the non free stuff,
I don’t got something to run , maybe I need Internet for steam (after install the firmware, I went back to matzesu ), and to install Direkt X 9 on Wine if this works like this , at least I should now have the graphics driver..
Next evening is for bring my Computer to the software I need ..
I told you already to add yourself to sudoers....

The problem was that I didn’t understand how sudoers worked, in the end I used „ su , Passwort, sudo suduers, and came to the file, but ditnt understand where to put my name and what ^o which is used to save was for a key on my keyboard..
and as I don’t wanted to make another 3 gb Download for a different Window Manager where there was no problem typing in my root password for getting acces to the packet sources, I tryed this way..

But I will put me on the sudoers list on the next Pythian Session tomorrow evening..

As fast as this computer is, it’s got its disadvantages over the Pyra ^^

Like I say there is no list of sudoers users. The sudoers file (in /etc/sudoers) works by defining actions for a user group, and you define the actions there, then add the user to the group. As most sudoers file says, don't edit it raw, use visudo to edit it.

The problem was that I didn’t understand how sudoers worked
I have still Debian 10 but the procedure should be the same, so I'll try to put a step by step example:
  1. su (to become root)
  2. nano /etc/sudoers
  3. check if there's a line similar to this "root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL"
  4. put the cursor at the beginning of that line (on the "r" of root)
  5. press CTRL+SHIFT+^ (this will start a selection)
  6. keep pressed the right arrow till the entire line is highlighted
  7. press ALT+SHIFT+^ (this will copy the entire selection)
  8. put the cursor in a blank line after the one you copied (if there is no blank like you can add one with ENTER)
  9. press CTRL+U (this will paste the line you copied before, so you should now have 2 identical lines)
  10. on this new line, substitute "root" with your username
  11. press CTRL+O and confirm with ENTER (to save the changes)
  12. press CTRL+X (to exit the editor)
  13. type "exit" and confirm to return to your normal user
Now you'll have no need anymore to use the root user.
Every time you'll have to do something that needs root permissions, you'll just run it from your user by adding the command "sudo" at the beginning.

Example:
nano /etc/sudoers --> tells you you have no permission
sudo nano /etc/sudoers --> asks for your password and then opens the file

apt-get update --> tells you you have no permission (most probably)
sudo apt-get update --> asks for your password and then updates the system

And as a last note, "sudo" will ask for a password only if it's the first time in a while you used it, for example if you use it to launch two commands one after another, only the first will require it, while the second one will consider your temporary elevated permission still valid from before.

sudo apt-get update --> will ask for a password
sudo apt-get upgrade --> will just run immediately

Reactions: rSl
Thanks for the Answers to all that help getting Box86 and Wine to work, could be i my Linux Knowledge Level might be still a bit too low..
I ditnt expect to get box and wine to run on my System that early, my Plan was first to have it usuable like a Office and Multimedia Computer, odt Documents, Emails, Youtube, Boards .., Wine where Luxus ^^

EDIT : When i need Direct X, (i allready do), is it just Clicking on the "Install Direkt X .exe" or do i need something else?

And i try to install the Windows Version of Firefox, but it refused to start, maybe it was because i ditnt had the Grapics Firmware at this point?

Dont worry, i might be still a noob, even after 10 Years Pandora Experience, but i know that i should not deactivate the Password..

Now to the Graphics Driver in Box86:
Do i only need to install Direct X9 whyle im still on the "Wine Windows"? Or is there more to do?

Weekend will get used to test some games if this works..

Dont worry, i might be still a noob, even after 10 Years Pandora Experience, but i know that i should not deactivate the Password..

Now to the Graphics Driver in Box86:
Do i only need to install Direct X9 whyle im still on the "Wine Windows"? Or is there more to do?

Weekend will get used to test some games if this works..
You don't have to install directx stuff, wine already have many, but you can if you want.
I strongly suggest you install winetricks (using wintricks install info on its giithub page), and than use "winetricks dxvk" for even better wine Direct3D performances.

I got the Windows Zoom now running via Box and Wine, allthough i think as long as the Firefox Plugin works out of the box whit OpenGL, and i ditnt had luck whit Direct X yet, i will use the Debian 11 Firefox on Sunday more likely..

One Question: When i want to shoffel Game Data on Pyra for the Ports, par exemple for Theme Hospital, will i need Direct X, or could i just install the Game whit the Files from GOG via Wine Explorer and copy and paste the Needed Data?

And i couldnd open Wine CFG yesterday, i dont know why, i allready changed something on the Library for Direct X (D3D or something), nothing else..
Maybe tomorrow i will post the Log File when i found out how..
And i ditnt found out how to install wine Tricks yet....

Back