Release BORG Calendar

Neelix

Insecticidal Maniac
I recently packaged up Michael Berger's BORG Calendar and uploaded it to the repo.

The repo link is here.

Description from the Borg Calendar web site:

BORG is a combination calendar and task tracking system. The calendar supports all sorts of appointments and also a simple todo list. The calendar functionality is similar to that of other PIMs, such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Calendar, Palm Desktop, Yahoo Calendar, etc... The Task Tracker goes way beyond todo's and might better be called a project tracking system.

BORG is basically meant to be a small self-contained Java application that you can run locally (i.e. without a network). Many users run it from a thumb drive.

BORG actually stands for Berger-Organizer. Unfortunately, the name BORG seems to be a popular choice for software products, probably due to the number of Star Trek fans that write code. The fact that BORG calendar also seems to refer to the Microsoft Outlook calendar makes things even more confusing. Oh well....

This is a Java application so it requires the Java PND installed to work.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Neelix, I would like know how you packaged this into a PND. I wanted to do it earlier but my understanding is that BORG comes with a jar-installer file only -> how did you manage to get around this issue ?

The installer lets you specify where to install it to, and it puts it's collection of jar files there.  I just directed it to my working directory,  then modified the run script slightly.

-  Neelix

Interesting program might try it out. I assume you will always need to start the program to use it and it is not possible to have the calendar service working in the background? 

The "about the author" page on the Borg Calendar web site is pretty entertaining :)  

"Besides programming day and night, I like to read sci-fi. I can't think of anything else that I do. Well, there's eating and sleeping...but nothing else of interest. Actually, most people would find the programming and reading pretty uninteresting too.

FYI - the IM name "i_flem" means nothing at all, just some random id I picked for hotmail - no reference to James Bond.

The nickname "quiet" describes how I am at parties. Actually, I don't go to parties, but if I did, the name would apply. And besides, the nickname "non-social introverted geek" was getting to be too much to type all the time."

Interesting program might try it out. I assume you will always need to start the program to use it and it is not possible to have the calendar service working in the background?
Actually it does stay resident as a tray icon if you close the window, so I think it could in fact be used that way.
- Neelix

By the way BORG is not really usable in the current state. 

when you add a new entry in the calendar the input window is messed up since its too small. Of course it is possible to open it in a different window and then to unmaximize it to see all the contents but thats very cumbersome, unfortunately.

Damn...   I haven't been able to find an easy workaround for it yet either. 

I have a couple of ideas to explore but I don't know if there's much I can do about it. 

- Neelix

hi,

I like the look of this calendar, unfortunately when i try to launch the pnd nothing happens (a folder is created in app data and then promptly deleted)

not sure of the problem seems to be looking for a file that is not there

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/PANDA-GAMES/pandora/menu/BORGCalendar.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/PANDA-GAMES/pandora/appdata/BORGCalendar

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run_borg.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/BORGCalendar"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDA-GAMES/pandora/appdata/BORGCalendar=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/BORGCalendar=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/BORGCalendar"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run_borg.sh ) ----------

./run_borg.sh: line 1: cd: /media/DEVTOOLS/pandora/desktop/BorgCalendar: No such file or directory

Found java.pnd at /media/PANDA-GAMES/pandora/menu/java.pnd

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop2,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop2,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so

/usr/bin/java: line 31: /mnt/utmp/java/sunjava.sh: No such file or directory

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( run_borg.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/BORGCalendar': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 5

any help is appreciated

CJ

ps i have got java installed

Back