Caanoo / WIZ 100% Serious Things The Wiz Could Run

Re music player, there's room for major improvement over what's supplied with the Wiz. I'd like to see playlist support and an equalizer.

I would love to see the Amiga ported over from the GP2X. I'm surprised there hasn't been a quick port yet. Granted it's only been out a month now. I'm sure a decent one will be out before years end. I really want a NEC PC98 emu. The GP2X one was amazing speed wise. Something new I'd like to see is a Sharp x68000 emu. It's a pretty beefy system like the Amiga. So I don't know how well it might run. The only x68000 emus are for windows as far as I know. I also have no idea about source code either. I do know one of the emulators was very heavy on ASM. I have a feeling I'll probably have to wait for the Pandora to get a x68000 emu. Especially since it looks like there's a few Japanese devs that are really interested in the Pandora. Still I would love to see it on the Wiz.

The PSX doesn't even have full compatibility on todays new extremely powerful personal computers, don't expect a 300MHZ handheld to run it smoothly.
:"]
Umm i built my pc two years ago and pc's have gotten alot better i can run ANY psx game thrown at it full speed[/quote]Doesn't mean that there aren't games that have problems with all emulators. Not that I know of any off hand, but I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't still something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only tried a few emulators, but going by other people's forum posts when I was trying there isn't a PSX emulator capable of running Little Princess whatsoever. The closest I came was PCSX for the Mac and it could only play about five minutes into it before locking up completely--most other emulators couldn't even get to the main menu. Not sure what it is about this game that emulators won't play it, it could have something to do with the sound since to even use it on my real PSX with the swap disc trick I had to swap it with another game with several audio tracks. Either way, it's the only example I know of of a non-emulateable PSX game. These games are definitely out there, they are just fairly obscure.

I've only tried a few emulators, but going by other people's forum posts when I was trying there isn't a PSX emulator capable of running Little Princess whatsoever. The closest I came was PCSX for the Mac and it could only play about five minutes into it before locking up completely--most other emulators couldn't even get to the main menu. Not sure what it is about this game that emulators won't play it, it could have something to do with the sound since to even use it on my real PSX with the swap disc trick I had to swap it with another game with several audio tracks. Either way, it's the only example I know of of a non-emulateable PSX game. These games are definitely out there, they are just fairly obscure.
Don't forget that bleem! and connectix VGS, both commercial PSX Emulators, ran PSX games at full speed on a PII (or at least bleem! did.) It just goes to show that with the proper coding things aren't impossible, but the point I was trying to make is that those things wouldn't be very useful, either because their speed would be too low, they would be too difficult to code, etc. I'm pretty sure if someone spent the time on it they could get PSX and 3DO and sega saturn running, but the time and effort just doesn't seem worth it to me. How many times is PSX, N64, saturn etc. emulation going to be argued about. Here's what it seems like so far:

PSX Is doable, just not a full speed, and most games probably won't work well, and if they do they would be doing so without sound.

N64 is not really possible, and any small steps that are made to get it running probably won't yield anything very playable, or even interesting.

You can bring it up over and over again, but I don't think the hardware on the wiz is going to change to allow anything better than that (unless someone sucessfully hacks some ram onto it or something. =P)

I don't think anyone was arguing those points! Everyone's pretty clear that N64 isn't going to happen, Sega Saturn isn't even working on PCs very well, and that PSX isn't going to be too nice. My point is that the majority of 3DO games could probably be emulated to a playable point, especially compared to the SAME GAMES with current Sega CD emulation on the Wiz. Granted, the 3DO versions tended to be nicer, but with the PSX emulator capable of running simple PSX games without sound already and the Sega CD running many games near perfect, the 3DO is a middle ground that could be achieved. I don't know enough about the 3DO's hardware to be 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure its specs fell somewhere between Sega CD and PSX. I doubt anyone would ever be willing to put the time and effort into making such an emulator, but from a technical perspective I don't see why earlier, less advanced games wouldn't be playable.

Lets put some water on these flames and everyone chill.... These are Blues opinions on what wont be ported ok lets all calm down

Lets put some water on these flames and everyone chill.... These are Blues opinions on what wont be ported ok lets all calm down
Honestly, I think the psx is completely possible on the Wiz. All it'll take is a dedicated programmer(s).

Believe you me, if/when this is accomplished, it would be the Wiz's killer app.

Honestly, I think the psx is completely possible on the Wiz. All it'll take is a dedicated programmer(s"].

Believe you me, if/when this is accomplished, it would be the Wiz's killer app.[/quote]I certainly hope it can be done, but everything I know about emulation tells me that it will be an absolute bitch to do well. I honestly think that you may only really get PSX emulation working for a small subset of games which don't rely on framerates of more than 10/sec. I do understand that people are disappointed, especially as GP2X PSX emulation was showing such promise - but the Wiz isn't that much of an upgrade from the '2x unfortunately. One comment I saw was that someone was thankful that Picodrive could clock down to 300mhz and still run pretty much fullspeed. Picodrive runs at pretty much full speed at half that on my '2x. Literally half that, in fact.

And in any case, why bother? Leave it and let the Wiz shine in other areas. Homebrew games will be hitting your SD Cards in droves soon, and don't forget that the Wiz can run Flash - there's another avenue that it could really strut it's stuff in.

D.

Honestly, I think the psx is completely possible on the Wiz. All it'll take is a dedicated programmer(s"].

Believe you me, if/when this is accomplished, it would be the Wiz's killer app.
I certainly hope it can be done, but everything I know about emulation tells me that it will be an absolute bitch to do well. I honestly think that you may only really get PSX emulation working for a small subset of games which don't rely on framerates of more than 10/sec. I do understand that people are disappointed, especially as GP2X PSX emulation was showing such promise - but the Wiz isn't that much of an upgrade from the '2x unfortunately. One comment I saw was that someone was thankful that Picodrive could clock down to 300mhz and still run pretty much fullspeed. Picodrive runs at pretty much full speed at half that on my '2x. Literally half that, in fact.

And in any case, why bother? Leave it and let the Wiz shine in other areas. Homebrew games will be hitting your SD Cards in droves soon, and don't forget that the Wiz can run Flash - there's another avenue that it could really strut it's stuff in.

D.[/quote]Why bother?
Because my inner-child yearns for the days of Spyro the Dragon and Metal Gear Solid, thats why. T_T

Why bother?
Because my inner-child yearns for the days of Spyro the Dragon and Metal Gear Solid, thats why. T_T
Oh, I understand that one completely - even though I was far from being a child when those were released ;-)

You couldn't have picked less likely games to run at acceptable framerates though, I'm afraid - they will really, really push the Wiz to its limits just to get 10-15fps, if it is capable of that at all.

Would you rather the Wiz be known as the first machine to play native flash games and have a huge homebrew gaming community, or the machine that failed to emulate the PSX? I know which one would be more likely to attract new scene members, and when they've got the bugs ironed out in the 3rd or 4th revision of the hardware, there will be an enormous library of stuff to attract new users in with. As it is, a lot of people see threads like this and think the Wiz is underpowered.

D.

flash player isn't all that great, tried getting a couple .swf games and they run like utter shit. Like bloxorz, that game is so fun but it like watching flash cards

Why bother?
Oh, I understand that one completely - even though I was far from being a child when those were released ;-"]

You couldn't have picked less likely games to run at acceptable framerates though, I'm afraid - they will really, really push the Wiz to its limits just to get 10-15fps, if it is capable of that at all.

Would you rather the Wiz be known as the first machine to play native flash games and have a huge homebrew gaming community, or the machine that failed to emulate the PSX? I know which one would be more likely to attract new scene members, and when they've got the bugs ironed out in the 3rd or 4th revision of the hardware, there will be an enormous library of stuff to attract new users in with. As it is, a lot of people see threads like this and think the Wiz is underpowered.

D.[/quote]
So I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait for the pandora for that one eh?

Either way, I really wanted a portable playstation. I'm not giving up though, who knows what wonders some of these programmers can pull off! :D

So I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait for the pandora for that one eh?

Either way, I really wanted a portable playstation. I'm not giving up though, who knows what wonders some of these programmers can pull off! :D
I have my doubts about the Pandora being that powerful to be honest - it'll probably need a touch of overclocking to get all games running smoothly (50/60fps). I'm not terribly interested in anything other than R-Type Delta, though :)

Having had a Dingoo A320 for a couple of weeks now, I've really started getting into homebrew games, and making them. When you think of everything the Amiga was capable of, the Wiz/A320/Panda should be able to do that kind of stuff in their sleep :)

It's going to be an interesting year, that's for certain.

D.

One of the main reasons I bought the Wiz was for a ZX Spectrum emulator (it would have to have an option to configure keys for each game like Picodrive).
Also a Hexen/Heretic port would be nice, so would an Atari 2600 emulator.

Back