Synchronising Data With Desktop

Windy

Still Fresh
A quick thanks to all those involved – it is so close now and am getting very exited about the immanent delivery. I am particularly impressed by the community support such as those producing graphics which help move a functional program to a very professional looking product

One of the things I am keen to do is synchronise information with my desktop PC

Could anyone advise/comment on the following.

** Firefox Add-Ons: I know Pandora will run Firefox. Will it support standard Firefox add-ons, or do they need to be Arm specific. The one I am most interested in is Xmarks for synchronising bookmarks

** Netvibes: Will Firefox on Pandora work with the Netvibes website which I use to provide a custom home page consisting of various RSS feed information, and some organisational gadgets and therfore gives me access to key information instantly from any PC (assuming I have web access) – but I believe this needs Java so am not sure if it will work on the Pandora Firefox browser

** Thunderbird and Lighting and Synchronisation: I believe Thunderbird will work, but again will standard Thunderbird add-ons. In particular, I use ‘Lightning’ calendar add-on which I synchronise with Google Calendar using the ‘Provider for Google Calendar’ add-on and synchronise with Don’t Forget the Milk for task/to-do lists using the ‘Remember the Milk Provider’ add-on.

Are there alternate options for working with locally stored info from Google Calendar and Remember the Milk for when internet access is not available and synchronising with my Desktop PC .

** Evernote: Will Evernote work. I suspect the ability to create notes won’t work but if I use their web page to review existing notes. Not sure if this has same implications as Netvibes

Many thanks – and I look forward to finding ways for me to contribute to the project

I'm not 100% sure, but when Apple had G5 processors it could use Firefox plug-ins so I think the Pandora can use all the plug-ins that work for Linux. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Firefox is coded so as long as you make a plug-in it will work on any OS as long as any requirements outside of Firefox will work. You'll notice that some add-ons are either OSX, Windows, or Linux only but that is because it uses a second program. For instance, a plug-in for Firefox that switches tracks of Windows Media Player is obviously Windows only. Beyond situations like that plug-ins probably are cross platform.

Firefox-Addons encompass both Plugins and Extensions. Plugins are for multimedia, such as Flash, and they are ARM-specific. However, Extensions, such as AdBlock, are written in JavaScript, and will work out of the box, flawlessly.

Never heard of NetVibes. It's unlikely that it uses Java, nobody uses Java anymore. It might use JavaScript, which will be supported out of the box on Firefox. If it uses Flash, that could be a problem. I'll check after this post.
Wikipedia says NetVibes uses AJAX, which is just a special kind of Javascript, so that will work fine.

If the add-ons are in Javascript. I've never used Thunderbird, though, so I can't say. They probably are.
Edit: Wikipedia says that Lightning is partially in C++, but since Thunderbird already runs on Linux, and all Mozilla stuff uses their silly XUL code, it should be ported easily.

Dunno what Evernote is...
Wikipedia doesn't say there's a Linux version, so I'm afraid you may be screwed on this one. There are competitors such as gnote, but I don't know how they compare on features. Like I said, never used any of them.

The wiki actually had answers to the first two questions.

Evernote is a closed-source piece of software. Evernote Corporation (the company that produces it) offer premium (read: you have to pay for them) versions of their software, so it is unlikely they will ever release the source of it. Your only hope on that front is that they decide to port it to the Pandora themselves (unfortunetly, not that likely.)

However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There are many open-source alternatives to Evernote that could be ported to the Pandora!
Look at this site: alternativeto.net. Anything there that says "open-source" could be ported to the Pandora. Have a browse, experiment and then come back to us to talk about porting your favourite.

Side-note- alternativeto.net is the best non-Pandora site ever!

Back