Mister Block

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes
Website
Visit site
Since everyone else seems to be doing it...

Mister Block is my hastily-coded GBAX 2007 competition entry! The idea is very simple indeed - to get all the blue blocks - but I am assured that it is somewhat enjoyable. It is loosely based on some Japanese game I found on the internet once. I may introduce saving, level select, high scores etc. eventually, but I don't want to detract from the simplicity of the game.
The levels are not hardcoded, and an editing guide is included in the readme, so should anyone want to show off their level-making skills, the ability is there - I would love to see some interesting ideas to improve on my frankly uninspiring level design.

Download
(As I understand, the version included in the GBAX2007 torrent may crash on some GP2Xes on the level with the fork. If this is the case, grab the above updated version, which should solve the problem)

Post bugs, suggestions, feedback and new levels here please :)

Oh, and I'd like to thank Johann Sebastian Bach for the wonderful music.

I love this game, excellent job! I was dissapointed when I reached the end :(

Reminds me a bit of abe's odyssey :)

This is another one of my favorites. I love the simple mechanics, and the "physics" based gameplay.

I don't know if it's my GP2x or not, but I did have some problems moving left or right. It seemed that if I didn't hit exactly left or right, my dot wouldn't move at all. Is this just me, or are others seeing this?

Pete

satacoy said:
I don't know if it's my GP2x or not, but I did have some problems moving left or right. It seemed that if I didn't hit exactly left or right, my dot wouldn't move at all. Is this just me, or are others seeing this?

Pete
i did notice this a bit... but my game does it too lol. I think it is probably just the dodgy gp2x stick.

I was going to try to make a quick level editor for the gp2x, unless you already have one nickspoon? were you just editting the text files? does the game only read the level files that are already present? (wud make it easier if that is the case ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
mrsnature said:
satacoy said:

Pete
i did notice this a bit... but my game does it too lol. I think it is probably just the dodgy gp2x stick.

I was going to try to make a quick level editor for the gp2x, unless you already have one nickspoon? were you just editting the text files? does the game only read the level files that are already present? (wud make it easier if that is the case ;) )

I don't already have a level editor, no. I was going to make one, but I suppose this is easier :)

The game reads files whose names are in data/level/level-list so you'd have to add the name of the file to it.

nickspoon said:
I don't already have a level editor, no. I was going to make one, but I suppose this is easier :)

The game reads files whose names are in data/level/level-list so you'd have to add the name of the file to it.
Well i'll give one a quick go, don't have much time, but i'm lost now i don't have anything to program ;) and I don't have the energy to start anything major.

mrsnature said:
nickspoon said:

Well i'll give one a quick go, don't have much time, but i'm lost now i don't have anything to program ;) and I don't have the energy to start anything major.

Well, so long as you don't mind :)

If you like, when you're done - provided it's in C/SDL - I'll integrate it into Mister Block.

well, i made a start, but this is taking a bit longer than i thought, i am slightly less motivated than i thought, and i have a little less time than i thought :rolleyes:

I will continue working on it slowly, but if you want to make a level editor yourself i wouldn't be offended ;)

nickspoon said:
Well, so long as you don't mind :)

If you like, when you're done - provided it's in C/SDL - I'll integrate it into Mister Block.

I liked it, so you should get more features in it from the original flash game like the screen actually flipping around, or a timer for the invisible power ups.

I`d also like to see more levels and maybe a menu, where you can select the levels you finished to continue after a break.

Quiest said:
I liked it, so you should get more features in it from the original flash game like the screen actually flipping around, or a timer for the invisible power ups.

I`d also like to see more levels and maybe a menu, where you can select the levels you finished to continue after a break.
Every animation I've tried looks pretty rubbish. Any suggestions?

I'll get a menu done at some point, but it will be very simplistic, hopefully in the same vein as the game itself. Autosave too. And I will do more levels :)

nickspoon said:
Quiest said:

Every animation I've tried looks pretty rubbish. Any suggestions?

I'll get a menu done at some point, but it will be very simplistic, hopefully in the same vein as the game itself. Autosave too. And I will do more levels :)

Did you code that in sdl? I think I could try to make a screen flip animation...

Quiest said:
Did you code that in sdl? I think I could try to make a screen flip animation...
It is SDL, yes.

mrsnature has made a very nice level editor which I will include in Mister Block (once I have the source). I've written a level selector, so I'll do a couple of bugfixes then release a new version.

The idea of the game is great. But i only played maybe 10 screens and after that i only saw a black screen and the GP2X locked. Is it the end of the game? In such case we need more levels !!! :D

Franxis said:
The idea of the game is great. But i only played maybe 10 screens and after that i only saw a black screen and the GP2X locked. Is it the end of the game? In such case we need more levels !!! :D
If the black screen happens after you jump off the top of a level, update your game.

If it happens at the end of the game (after the You Win level) then that's odd, it should take you back to the menu.

Back