Boards, LCD Cables and Nubs (2010-09-11)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as promised, some more news from various companies.

It's not yet the breaking through we were hoping for, but at least things are going forward and not on hold, which is a good thing.

As said, the board company set up the machine and started producing boards.

They will ship 300 LCD cables to my place so I can solder the speakers onto them and about 100 boards to Craig.

We were hoping for more, but they are still in the process of cablibrating the boards properly.

Just some background information in case you don't know how board populating works (well, I hope I do explain it correctly).

Basically, a machine that populates board does this using multiple heads. Each head populates a part of the board. One head, for example, puts all parts for the audio stuff onto the board, etc.

To make this work properly, each head first has to be programmed to place the parts exactly on the right spot on the board. This is saved in a computer and has been done long ago.

But that's only half the work: Every head has to be calibrated properly when boards are being produced - each time you do a mass production run.

If the heads don't start populating at the exact area of the board, parts of the boards fail (depending on the tolerance there is).

If that happens, the boards have to be fixed manually and the miscalibrated head has to be calibrated more properly.

So after a few test runs, production works fine and spits out reliable boards.

At the beginning however, it goes slow, as a lot of boards need to be manually fixed. This was also the reason the board production was so slow during the last month - besides a lot of nubs failing, they only produced when they found time and therefore had to setup the machine each time they wanted to produce some boards.

They are stil positive they can do the rest of the boards until October 18th. Let's hope that's true.

Next, the nubs:

Tests were proving way better results, but they still think they're not reliable enough.

However, they expect the next samples to be good enough.

As usual, I'll keep you updated - and yeah, we're as eager as you to get new good news. We're struggling with those companies, but we surely will not give up :)

Thanks for the update.

At least the cases are on their way. Hopefully when those nubs are sorted out, the board company will be able to dedicate more time to the Pandora and keep the production going, especially if they've got this new machine dedicated to Pandora production.

The cases are on its way and the boards will hopefully be finished by the 18th of October. Great news!

18.Oktober 2010, here whe go again.. :lol:

God news, Mey the Boards be whit us.. :p
Groan! :p

May the ParcelForce* be with Craig. * - replace with actual carrier.

Regarding your signature. There is only one Matzesu whit hes uneek version of English. :p

Back