Blog updates

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Can we have a blog update interval like once a week. Like Yahtzee has new stuff on Wednesdays. Can we have Pandora Thursday's?

I am looking for ANY information. There is just SO much conjecture going on in the forums that I find it actually makes me MORE impatient because I only see hollow answers from people that don't know 1/4 of the truth.

Yahtzee isn't building the world's most powerful handheld. -_-

We'd all love regular updates, believe me. As soon as they've got new stuff to show, they'll show it. :) In the meantime, search for posts by MWeston and craigix, on this forum and on gp32x.de. Also check the Dev Team Updates sticky on gp32x. Then you'll have all the information that everyone else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I don't care as much about getting regular updates as I do substantive ones. Seeing a completed Pandora (this month they said?) and the polished GMENU are at the top of my list. The sooner the better, of course, but given the current preorder debacle and manufacturing starting, we may have to wait a bit longer for the team to find their bearings again. :p

Official updates, whenever they occur, are added to this list. They average about two per week.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do have a good list there, Chip. I'll turn my impatient level down a few notches, forceably.

I guess their is a lot of things this month to keep me occupied anyhow. Getting my new camera tomorrow. Casio EX-FH20. When I get my Pandora I am going to take A whole bunch of Slow-Motion video of it... :ph34r:

If this thing is due to be released to the wild by end of Nov I would imagine there will be plenty of updates in the next 6-7 weeks! We still have yet to seen the final PCB or any kind of case, nothing about the gmenu yet etc. Craig mentioned the final PCB should be with them sometime very soon so once that's completed I would imagine the real work begins are far as the devs go...

I hope they dont try to add every little feature before its release. e.g. I would rather get the unit on time with a basic but working OS then more features/stability added later on.

DynaMight said:
If this thing is due to be released to the wild by end of Nov I would imagine there will be plenty of updates in the next 6-7 weeks!

I would agree with you, but the pattern so far suggests not.

Proove me wrong guys, proove me wrong...

:wink:

Craig has said he will have an update when he recieves the first batch of MK2 boards next week, along with the new nubs, there should be something to put in the blog.

I believe Craig said he'd have photos of the MK2 board around this Sunday, right?

A small blog update has been posted :)

It has been a while since you got a blog update - I KNOW you were waiting for one.
Well, that problem with PayPal and your MASSIVE preorders including hundreds of eMails to reply to did take some time, so we did not have much time to do blog updates.
As the Pandora is coming close to a release now, we also had to do a lot of organization work so that everything will come together nicely.

Still, we were working on other stuff for the Pandora, too, so here is a brief update:

- We did some font tests for the GUI (gmenu2x - and another one is in development, so you should have two GUIs soon :)). The gp2x font was way too small on such a high resolution screen, so we did some testings and found out what font size is readable and what not. With the font fixed, gmenu2x is now fully working on the Pandora the same way it is on the gp2x. Now we can focus on improvements. I'll post a video soon - but I'm out of the office until October 19th, please be patient until that time :)

- The last components and fixes for the prototype case are being applied at the moment. That includes the keyboard mat and the hole for the stylus. Shouldn't be too long now until the case is finished.

- There will be pictures of the FINAL boards here soon. Together with the case, that will mean we can finally show you pictures of the final prototype unit!

- Thanks for all your suggestion you made regarding the PXML file format. I'm currently enhancing the format, making it XML compliant and will post an updated version until the end of the week. Thanks goes to you guys :)

[youtube]VYzi8gziC7E[/youtube]

Thanks for the update tag. Looking great.

What has been happening lately, you might ask...
Well, while craig and Michael have been organizing a lot (all the different parts have to be ordered from different companies and shipped to mass production), me and the devs have focused more on the default OS.
Ångström Linux is running very well already, with a lot of nice apps like Abiword, Pidgin, Gimp, ... Check out the Ångström site for information about what the distribution is all about and does feature.
I hope I can get the latest images soon, so I can show you some videos running.

In the meantime, I have a very very small video for you to show: The current, still early status of gmenu2x on the Pandora. Colors do look ugly at the moment, as the Kernel I have on my Pandora currently only supports 16bpp while gmenu expects 24bpp. The icons are still very small - but as you can see, it works!
On the video I move the pointer around with a USB mouse, clicking through various sections and finally starting PicoDrive Pandora!

also notas posted some more pictures of the PCB;

pboard0.jpg

pboard1.jpg

pboard2.jpg

pboard3.jpg

more;

pboard4.jpg

pboard5.jpg

pboard6.jpg

pboard7.jpg

TaG said:
You're welcome lee, shame there's no one else here to read it...

Yeah it's a bit of a ghost town, I would have to agree with locking the forum like you have suggested. I can't see the forums merging as they are two completely different systems phpbb and IPB. More used to phpbb, which is why I like these forum more but at the end of the day using IPB wouldn't really be a problem.

TaG said:
You're welcome lee, shame there's no one else here to read it...

Hopped on the blog just a few minutes ago and was greeted with a wonderful update - glad to hear they got the OS up and running. Great to see some more progress on this device, looking forward to the public reception

nice. populated board looks quite chic.

funny how the wifi+bt package seems to be the largest occupant among all chips : )

Not every picture is worth thousand words, but this one is. :)

It looks almost complete. :D

...and a beauty in the making. :)

I'm longing to get mine. :wink:

Back