Unofficial Openpandora Community Blog

mazza558

The official blog's been irritating me ever since I started following the project in September - no RSS, and minor updates only available in obscure threads lurking in the forums...

Well, no more will people complain, for I have established a blog on Wordpress!

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/

A clean, simple URL, and I'm quite happy to hand over power to the devs if they want the address and blog for whatever reason.

As I posted when I first started it:

It’d be daft to put the task of reporting every small bit of news on one person’s shoulders, so other people in the community can put their names forward if they want to participate. They can then take up the mantle of responsibility for one particular category, like [hardware].

So, let it begin! :D

If you'd like a free domain transfer rather than having to pay $15 for it, I'd be happy to host this on my Wordpress MU install. :)

Firefox Update Scanner extension is a very good way to get updates on webpages without rss. I use it to get detailed pirate bay search results updates (sorted by date) as they and most other tracker sites don't have search resutls feeds. Very useful.

nimnimnim said:
Firefox Update Scanner extension is a very good way to get updates on webpages without rss. I use it to get detailed pirate bay search results updates (sorted by date) as they and most other tracker sites don't have search resutls feeds. Very useful.
That's the best way I have found. Then you can track all the different pages/sites, like MWeston's. Just don't set it to refresh too often...

Last edited by a moderator:
All credit to you mazza for creating this. I don't want to take anything away from you doing this, but am I the only one that finds it a little sad that there is even a perceived need for an 'unofficial' information source in the first place?

TaG said:
All credit to you mazza for creating this. I don't want to take anything away from you doing this, but am I the only one that finds it a little sad that there is even a perceived need for an 'unofficial' information source in the first place?

I thought Chips Big List Of Official Dev Team Updates was the official source of all updates, and the OpenPandora blog is the official source of all major updates if you want less traffic.

Seems a little daft to copy all those updates to another site just to get RSS capability when most people wanting news visit the forums anyway at least once a day.

As explained previously in this thread - you don't have to search. The are apps and extensions to browsers that search for the updates for you. It's not like you need to know the exact second something new has happend, a 24 hour delay is acceptable in most cases (and you'll probably visit the forum several times within that window anyway).

Squidge said:
TaG said:

I thought Chips Big List Of Official Dev Team Updates was the official source of all updates, and the OpenPandora blog is the official source of all major updates if you want less traffic.

Seems a little daft to copy all those updates to another site just to get RSS capability when most people wanting news visit the forums anyway at least once a day.

The problem is, it's not in one place. People have to trawl through several threads to find this info, and only want to read one page or website. It's just more efficient to have one source of all Pandora info.

Squidge said:
As explained previously in this thread - you don't have to search. The are apps and extensions to browsers that search for the updates for you. It's not like you need to know the exact second something new has happend, a 24 hour delay is acceptable in most cases (and you'll probably visit the forum several times within that window anyway).
But why should people have to get apps and extensions just to find out info that should be easy-to-find? I've personally found that if I don't follow every single new thread, I miss important bits of information from the developers. The blog format's a lot more efficient and prevents the information from being distilled by thousands of posts from community members. Not only that, but stuff made by the community itself isn't really talked-about on the official blog.

Kyosys said:
i like it. Had some info I didn't even know yet. Keep up the good work.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Squidge said:

Didn't Chip start compiling the list (at least mentally) way before being part of the "dev team"? If so, I'd hardly consider it an "official list", at least not in its inception. Although the list is very informative and concise, its not in a news-friendly format. Would you make that list your homepage? I doubt it. But this wordpress blog, I'd seriously consider making it my homepage if it got updated frequently enough.

I hope the WP blog gets updated by Chip, dev team members and forum members. Good on you mazza, and good luck.

quartercast said:
Squidge said:

Didn't Chip start compiling the list (at least mentally) way before being part of the "dev team"? If so, I'd hardly consider it an "official list", at least not in its inception. Although the list is very informative and concise, its not in a news-friendly format. Would you make that list your homepage? I doubt it. But this wordpress blog, I'd seriously consider making it my homepage if it got updated frequently enough.

I hope the WP blog gets updated by Chip, dev team members and forum members. Good on you mazza, and good luck.

I'd be happy to invite Chip and the other dev team members to post stuff themselves.

Something you might want to add to the blog:
EvilDragon said:
Thema Bedruckung: Wir sind am Überlegen, ob wir eine individuelle Bedruckung (Deutsch, Englisch, Türkisch, Spanisch) machen sollen - und da schaut es im Moment recht gut aus, da die Bedruckung NACH der Mattenherstellung stattfindet, also von den Kosten her durchaus möglich ist :)
free translation said:
Regarding the key-printings: We think about making individual printings(German, English, Turkish, Spanish) - it looks good at the moment, because the printing is done AFTER the fabrication of the mat, so it would be possible regarding kosts :)
Reference link:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&am...;p=75273#p75273
Edit:
mali said:
mali said:

Back