Blair Wars - Post 16 Day Update

Hi wub,

I've just checked out the updated version, and after a few more plays, I like it!

I think you need to add a title screen that says about the red / blue / grey powerups otherwise you kinda treat it like a conventional shooter and don't last long.

The main gripe I have is that the asteroid field is so hard to see especially when they sneak up behind you. I'm on a FLU and they tend to merge with the background rather too much. Hows about adding a brightness / gamma control somewhere?

Does the L+R buttons do anything other than rotate your ship? Nice touch btw

The animations are lovely and make it shine, especially the baddies bullets. Hows about some more interesting graphical effects to jazz it up a little? maybe some sparks out of the ship when you shoot or something. or the odd bit of debris floating among the baddies.

I apologise if I didn't test it enough when I first tried it, I'll definately give it some more time now, and I plan to do a full review at some point

cheers

Thanks Frolik!
I really appreciate you taking the time to give it a try and give me some feedback :)

EDIT: actually, more importantly, thanks for liking it as well!
someone just told me that the problem here may be that the theme has turned people off and that the project has been looked at like a joke, an unfunny one, and that the fact it was a game may have escaped like 99% of everybody. whoops.

"blair wars" is just what I put together from bits I had made while working on the engine(I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by using this word)
The real project for me is to try and recreate as much of radiant silverguns gameplay as I can.
As I'm not a "real" coder this has been, and I'm sure will continue to be, fucking hard :lol:

so anyway, the rules as they were for blair wars prolly won't hold for the next "release" and that's why I left all the details of the gameplay in the readme.

The asteroid field was a quick way of putting "something" in there to make it more challenging as I had very little time left at the end of the competition to put a game together. That's also why they still look like pebbles, which is what they are, and not asteroids ;)

"Does the L+R buttons do anything other than rotate your ship?"
There were going to be/will be levels that need you to squeeze through tight gaps and whatnot.

I can't work on this again till December but I'm hoping that by then I can find someone with passion enough to work with me on making a proper hommage to radiant. I know that I can't code well enough to make it some kind of amazing effort but I intend to continue having fun with it all the same. :)

wub.

Back