Black Or White

Quiest

I like turtles!
I thought, I take a little break from my minigame project and work on a game, I started some month ago. I could now finish a demo.

Here it is: Black Or White

It`s a remake of Polarium, a great puzzle game for the Nintendo DS.
It`s just a demo version, but it already features 50 puzzles!

1.jpg

Installation:
It`s a Fenix game, so put everything from the zip archive in the gpmm folder
and don`t forget to put the fenix runtime into the gpsys folder.

2.jpg

Gameplay:
Select "START" and select a puzzle with A. You now can control an orange dot.
You can move this dot around the playfield. Tap A to activate the paint mode, the move the dot around to paint lines.
Tap A to quit paint mode and check your solution or B to cancel paint mode.

3.jpg

Now, here`s is what you have to do:
The playfield is a 8x8 field white and black stones.
Every stone you paint on gets flipped, meaning black gets white and white gets black.
Now, to clear a puzzle, every line may only have one color. Then the line is cleared.
You have to clear every line at once to finish a puzzle and advance to the next puzzle.

I hope you get the gameplay, as it`s really hard to explain, but once
you get the idea, it`s really easy :D Just try it!

Feel free to ask, if you have any problems!
And don`t forget to leave suggestions and feedback :D

Things that are missing in this demo (and will hopefully be in next version):
+sound
+music
+level editor
+choosable levels packs
+ingame animations
+undo moves

try to find a better way to store the puzzles... the directory contains 172kb, and takes up about 1 Mb ^^
besides that great project :)

??? The puzzles al together are just 28k!

How would that take up 1mb? And how should I make them smaller?
Every puzzle is a two dimensional array saved in a file, and as I want to make a level editor and choosable levelpacks, how else should I store them???

And don`t tell me make them all in one file or whatever, as I would have to completely recode the gamesystem ;)

Quiest posted on Aug 21 2005 at 10:19 PM said:
??? The puzzles al together are just 28k!

How would that take up 1mb? And how should I make them smaller?
Every puzzle is a two dimensional array saved in a file, and as I want to make a level editor and choosable levelpacks, how else should I store them???

And don`t tell me make them all in one file or whatever, as I would have to completely recode the gamesystem ;)
ow, i looked only at tha bow directory, with that data it's about 1 Mb in total, so the impact of the puzzles is even worse (28kb of data takes up 800kb of space on the smc)
don't forget on an smc the minimum filesize is 16kb, any file smaller than that will take up 16kb, so making puzzles of half of a kilobyte makes them take up 30 times more space than the data they contain :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Moogle posted on Aug 22 2005 at 01:48 AM said:
21 now. Did you make all puzzles yourself? They are pretty awesome, well laid out and figures too.

Partly, I took some of the original and some I found at Gamefaqs, and resized/mirrored/changed them a bit. :D

Quiest posted on Aug 22 2005 at 12:42 PM said:
Moogle posted on Aug 22 2005 at 01:48 AM said:
21 now. Did you make all puzzles yourself? They are pretty awesome, well laid out and figures too.

Partly, I took some of the original and some I found at Gamefaqs, and resized/mirrored/changed them a bit. :D
are you sure puzzle 21 is correct?
up to 20 they were pretty easy, and i'm also stuck at 21, i can't find a way to complete it...

Quiest, you are a true champion!

Love Polarium sooooo much and now I love B+W too ;)

Here's an idea, stick it in the Minigame project?! Not everything has to be about Highscores!

dowboy posted on Aug 23 2005 at 12:24 AM said:
Quiest, you are a true champion!

Love Polarium sooooo much and now I love B+W too ;)

Here's an idea, stick it in the Minigame project?! Not everything has to be about Highscores!

B/W please :D

And I`m not sicking it into the minigame prject, cause I want everything there to be about highscores ;)
Besides that, it`s getting too big, and it`s a puzzler, no minigame, you normally sit much longer on these puzzle games than on minigames.

Oh, I`ll update the first post with screenshots!

Back