Where Should I Post A Black And White Fix Ive Found?

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
for those using a s-video to composite adapter, and who no matter what get a black and white output, i found a really simple little hack that got mine working after 2 months of black and white-- i just assumed it was the 2x tv out cable, and hadnt checked the s-video adapter...

but i know that this might already be covered? should i post it? not saying its the best solution, but its easy, and quick... would take about 3 min from start to finish..

thanks

d

If it's the hack where you join two pins of the Svideo together (Chroma + Luma) Then it's already been covered and it's in the Wiki.

I modded my Tv-out cable to have Svideo AND composite using this method. :)

figured it might have been... it was so easy...not that i read it anywhere... just i knew the difference between s-video and composite and took a shot...

is the wiki pinned anywhere? cuz i wouldve checked the darn thing if i knew where to look for it.--- things like that fix would be really helpful for new users, and they might not know where to look... plus would cut down on question/help threads, or threads like this one... where i wanna help, but dont wanna look like an idiot if its already been covered...

thanks for the info

d

If it's the hack where you join two pins of the Svideo together (Chroma + Luma) Then it's already been covered and it's in the Wiki.

I modded my Tv-out cable to have Svideo AND composite using this method. :)

Please link. I can't find it. I'm not enjoying my black and white much, either. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
man... i looked at that svideo hack... and i didnt really understand it at all... so im posting what i did, so that at least gnyffel can get color if he wants to...

remember... this is only if you are using an s-video to composite (like the yellow red white cables that come with a dvd etc) adapter

--what you need: copper wire (not sure if others work or not)..

or if you dont happen to have copper wire just laying around you can use scissors, a knife, and a pair of old headphones-- (thats what i used)... strip the wire of the plastic and cut off a decent chunk, and try to keep the ends from fraying...

now-- look at your gp2x s-video out connector... it should basically be a circle with a black peg at the bottom... and four small holes basically making a square above that black peg... all you have to do is stick one end of your wire in each of the two holes farthest away from that black peg...

1 2
3 4
peg

in this lame diagram... you'd put your wires into holes 1 and 2

--the technical reason is that composite puts those two parts together into one signal, while s-video keeps them seperate, which results in better image quality... for whatever reason, my adapter, and maybe yours isnt combining those sources correctly, so were gonna just do it ourselves...

btw... this worked for me... use at own risk... i take no responsibilty if it doesnt work...

anyway... once you've got your wire stuffed into holes 1 and 2... just connect your s-video to composite adapter as normal... if all works out, the wires shouldnt keep your adapter from plugging in as usual... (if not, you may need to make the wire smaller, or the hole bigger... i didnt do either, but i recomend making the wire smaller-- easier to replace...)

then plug it into your gp2x... and check the video out option... if it works... you should see the main menu in color... not black and white...

(you may need to mess with the brightness values either on the gp2x or your tv to make the picture look better)

if that doesnt work... i dont know what to say... this is what solved the issue for me--- i even bought another tv out from gbax... then i realized it was the stupid adapter, checked it with my dvd player... and yep.. that was black and white too... so, if you have a similar situation, try it out, cant waste more than 10 min...

good luck... and i hope this helps some people... (experts, feel free to explain this more clearly, or provide links to better explanations if you can)

d

Back