1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Best TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine games

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Poem58, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Poem58

Poem58 Member

TurboGrafx was one of my favorite systems. I once had 95 games for my Express. I was dumb and sold it all!!

However despite North American failure, and my lack of more than a couple imports, there were some great games.

My favorites include,

Blazing Lazers

Silent Debuggers (hard game!)

Soldier Blade

World Sports Competition

Falcon

Devil's Crush

Alien Crush

Time Cruise

Galaga '90

Legend of Hero Tonma

Street Fighter II Champion Edition (Import)

Tricky Kick

and many more.

What are your favorites/recommendations?

2. Exophase

Exophase Exophase is bad. Nothing good will ever come of hi

HuCard only:

Bonk's Revenge

Dragon's Curse

Photograph Boy

Bomberman '93 and '94

Twin-bee

Air Zonk

Legendary Axe I & II

Atomic Robo Kid Special

3. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

Ooho, I've been waiting for this one. [​IMG]

Shockman - Platform - A brutally, brutally difficult game in the Mega Man sort of vein, albeit without weapons to take from the bosses. This is actually the sequel to a game called Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman, translated into English, but it doesn't make any direct references to the original game. Play as Arnold or Sonya, two androids created by a scientist known only as Doc. Doc has been sending them on wild goose chases, believing there to be an alien threat soon to invade the Earth, and it turns out that he's right - but the two Shockmen don't find that out until they get to the lab to find that Doc has been kidnapped by a group of invaders known as The Ryo Empire. You have to fight through a collection of difficult levels, with even more difficult bosses (which mostly look almost as if they were rejected from some sort of space shooter - many of them are quite scary, and a real contrast to the cute playable characters) at the end, and you have to contend with a pair of mysterious Dark Shockmen, too. The soundtrack is excellent, and the theme from the sewer stage is particularly haunting.

4. Zor Prime

Zor Prime Member

The TG16/Duo was / is my favorite system of all time. It also had the best DPad (IMO) of any system I've had since. I am being hopeful the Pandora DPad is comparable.

Anyway ... My list includes a mix.

Gates of Thunder (awesome graphics, awesome kick-ass sound track, just fun) I actually recorded bits of the sound track to tape in the 90's because I liked it so much.

Lords of Thunder (insane graphics for any 16-bit gfx title, kick-ass sound track, not /quite/ as fun as GoThunder IMO)

Bonks Revenge

Cosmic Fantasy 2

Dragon Slayer

Galaga '90

Parasol Stars (I think that's the title, it's basically Bubble Bobble)

Dungeon Explorer would be fun multi-player, sorta like Gauntlet. There's a part 2, never had it.

Falcon was fun for its time

Ghouls n' Ghosts (SuperGrafix) would undoubtedly be fun. Supposed to be a perfect port with exception to the color palette.

Alien Crush (I actually like this more than Devils, I'm a minority)

Devils Crush

I haven't touched my Duo in so long that I forget many titles. I have a box full of games in hibernation.

You can find ISO's of some of these games if you dig around hard enough ... I own the CD's though.

5. Prometheus

Someone else who likes Alien Crush more than Devil's Crush? Glad to see I'm not the only one! :D

Also, I completely forgot one. :D

Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 3 - Ikai no Princess - Platformer - The follow-up to the earlier two Shubibinman games, the androids Tasuke and Kyapiko (known as Arnold and Sonya in the West) have their summer vacation interrupted by the attack of a giant flying ship from another dimension. This game is less Mega Man-like than the previous installment, with a bit more focus on using swords (as in the first game), and a bit less focus on platforming (unlike the second one). It's a CD-ROM2 title, so also has a really great soundtrack, if you happen to like early 90s CD-based game music (the composer of this soundtrack later went on to work for Inti Creates, and did some of the music for Mega Man ZX Advent for the Nintendo DS).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  6. yoshi41dragon

yoshi41dragon Active Member

I still have a Turbo Duo and a GT handheld with a total of 64 games :D

There are so many good games on the PC Engine B)

My favorites on HU Card

Aero Blasters

Air Zonk

Bomber Man 94

Bonk

Bonk 2

Bonk 3

Final Soldier

Gunhed

Magical Chase

Military Madness

Neutopia

Neutopia 2

Parasol Stars

Parodius

Soldier Blade

Super Star Soldier

My favorites on CD ROM

Cotton

Crest of Wolf

Dracula X

Dragon Slayer

Gate of Thunder

Gradius 2

Image Fight 2

Lords of Thunder

Pomping World

Rainbow Islands

Star Parodier

My absolute top favorite is GATE OF THUNDER !

Gate of Thunder is also available on the Wii Virtual Console.

7. Prometheus

Argh... I cannot resist.....

Does Gate of Thunder really have the ARCADE FEEL? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  8. yoshi41dragon

No, the music is too good for an arcade game ;)

Read the comment on the PC Engine Software Bible. It's simply a masterpiece.

9. Prometheus

Oh, I know. I just had to link to Johnny Turbo before someone else did. :lol:

10. UberDub

UberDub Still Fresh

Keith courage. Everything else has been said already. Wait...splatterhouse.

11. GunPei2X

GunPei2X Still Fresh

Ordyne.

12. Exophase

Exophase Exophase is bad. Nothing good will ever come of hi

In NEC's defense, Sega's advertising was really sleazy too.

13. Prometheus

Oh, I'm not taking a shot at their advertising. Fact is, I absolutely love the sheer amount of quoteables that Mr. Turbo so kindly gave the world, no joke. :lol:

14. Poem58

Poem58 Member

I had to hold back when I started the thread as I would have listed so many games that it would have taken too long.

I'm actually surprised to only see Military Madness to show up only once, but then again I had to discover it in emulation as I never came across the Hu-card. Also never had the Duo so I missed all the CD based games. I hope to get to find and play some of those on my Pandora.

Of course by the time I was ale to collect the Turbo at all it was already a discontinued system. There was definitely a charm to that system and I would have loved to see some sort of Turbo Express Advance system, but alas it was not to be. I love the idea of the Home Console and Hand held sharing the same games. Too bad no one else wanted to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  15. bzar

bzar A Commando

Pics please :) . One picture is worth a thousand words.

16. yoshi41dragon

Military Madness

My game list is actually a collection of links.

17. bzar

bzar A Commando

I know, I meant pics embedded in the thread :) . I'd rather scroll through one page than click through several :p

EDIT: See some (not all) of the other similar threads for example ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  18. mvickers03

mvickers03 Active Member

Really loving these best of threads, It helps guide through old classics that I somehow missed, Keep it up guys.. I'm running through some and making ROM packs on my Pandora

19. Zor Prime

Zor Prime Member

So, I've been ripping my Super CD's and find out Pandora Hugo doesn't have CD support.

Is there an emulator around that has CD support for the PCE/TG16?

Most of my interest is playing my SCD's ... and I can't, which sucks.

20. abeaver

abeaver Still Fresh

Neutopia I and II - The most blatant ripoff of Zelda ever. I'm not exaggerating one bit either. People live in caves and holes in the ground, pushing a block opens doors, bombs are used to uncover hidden pathways, and the list goes on. However, they ripped it off so well that it's almost just as good as Zelda. The second game does add a lot of improvements that make it a bit more original and fun to play than the first.

Bloody Wolf - The coolest overhead shooting game I've ever played. Enemies reach for their bloody chest as they are shot, killing someone on a motorcycle rewards you by allowing you to STEAL THEIR MOTORCYCLE and plow people over, and hostages that you rescue give you information and extra equipment. A very well made game.

Raiden - A vertical shmup. There's versions for the Genesis and SNES, but for some reason I prefer this version over the other two.

Ninja Gaiden - This port of Ninja Gaiden features improved visuals, but other than that it's the same game as the NES version.

R-Type I and II - These are the best console versions of R-Type. If you've never played an R-Type I highly recommend you do.

Darius Plus - A shmup that has you collecting tons of power-ups and puts you up against an army of robotic cyber-fish. Also very challenging.

Shinobi - Rescue hostages and kill things with shirikens.