My Greatest Gp2x Wish Is.... And A List Of Must Have Games According T

garethp1745

Still Fresh
All emulator producers to have customisable favorites as I hate having to search though all the games for one I want to play.

Each month retro gamer focuses on an old computer or console and prints a list of 10 games that you should play so for all us retro freaks....

Snes

Super Mario Kart
Super Meteriod
Legend of Zelda a link to the past
Contra 3 the alien wars
Axelay
Super mario all- stars
Chrono Trigger
Street fighter Alpha 2
Pilot wings
UMUHARA KAWASE

Amiga 12000

Worms directors cut
Fighten spirit
Alien Breed
T Zero
Simon the Sorcerer
Deluxe Galaga
On Escapee
XP8
Star trek 25th anniversary
Payback

Megadrive

Sonic 2
Devil Crash
Gunstar Heros
streets of rage 2
strider
desert strike return to the gulf
thunderforce 4
shining force 2
ecco the dolphin
shinobi 3 return of the master ninja.

Spectrum

Star quake
ant attack
head over heals
the great escape
atic atac
Quazatron
back to skool
jet set willy
rebel star
elite

Atari 2600

Space invaders
berserk
adventure
ms pac man
river raid
hero
ice hockey
defender 2
pitfall 2 lost caverns
thrust

CPC

north and south
guild of theives
spindizzy
gryzor
prince of persia
fantasy world dizzy
head over heals
get dexter
chase hq
total eclipse

Lynx

Paper boy
Roadblasters
lemmings
klax
blue lightening
rampart
chips challenge
battle wheels

Neo geo pocket

snk vs capcom card fighters clash
puzzle bobble mini
Snk vs Cap com Match of the millenium
Neo Turf masters
Metal slug first mission
Sonic the hedgehog pocket aventure
falele!
ganbare neo poke kun
the last balde
pocket tennis colour

Gameboy colour

Legend of Zelda links awakening DX
super mario bros DX
Metal Gear solid
Pokemon gold/silver
Tetris DX
R-type DX
Resident evil gaiden
Stranded kids
Legend of zelda Oracle of seasons/ages
Wario land 3

I don't entirely understand what the list is about. You want all emulator authors to put those games at the top of the list or something because they're 'favorites'? Good luck getting them all to comply with that; no one even shares a common button scheme right now. At any rate, an emulator really should set its 'favorites' based on which games the USER plays the most.

Nice list although a top 20 for each system would probably give people a bit more of an idea of what to look out for and not just a handful of classics for each system.

How about neo geo?

You mentioned Payback for Amiga 12000, you're in luck there Payback is getting ported and released commercially for the GP2X :D

Any list not containing Puyo Pop Fever is by definition incomplete. Heck, I even put it on my grocery list on the off chance some Puyo might be hiding between the grapes and the carrots... ;)

I have a lynxII, there are no good games for it besides klax + a bad limited port of rygar. :) better just to remove lynx from your list.

besides how can you list speccy + cpc and not list trs80 or the giant C64! :)

Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
I don't entirely understand what the list is about. You want all emulator authors to put those games at the top of the list or something because they're 'favorites'? Good luck getting them all to comply with that; no one even shares a common button scheme right now. At any rate, an emulator really should set its 'favorites' based on which games the USER plays the most.

I wouldnt exactly say they're just his favorites per se. Most of the games he has listed under each console are the known top games of the each system.

I think most people would agree with his selection of games more or less. I dont think it would be unreasonable to just *request* if these could be made to work well first. If not then hey, the emu guys are doing a great job anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
YakumoFuji posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:01 PM said:

Quite Easily as retrogamer hasn't covered those machines yet when they do I'll post another list up.

What I was asking for in the original post was the ability to choose favorites just like the new mame menu enables me to do as that would be dead useful as I have a 4GB card and lots of roms installed on it.

Gareth

Why would you want to play Elite on the spectrum? Bizarre...

And YakumoFuji, there are some excellent Lynx games: Rampart (most playable version of any console, including arcade, IMHO), Joust (Arcade perfect), Lemmings, Scrapyard Dog, Todds Adventures in Slimeworld, etc...

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:01 PM said:
I have a lynxII, there are no good games for it besides klax + a bad limited port of rygar. :) better just to remove lynx from your list.

I had a Lynx II back in 1992, first game i got was xenophobe or something like that. That wasnt bad iirc (although if i played it now...i might change my mind).

TRS-80 i had one of these with one game 'Phantom Slayer' - The Scariest game i have ever played (again.. if i played it now....i may change my mind.)

There was a dracula adventure game on the Lynx aswell, it lasted like 2 hours. Real value for money. :)

Favourite games - yeah, right. Everyone has their own favourite games, it depends on what they like. My favourites aren't mostly on that list, for example (although some are). There are many, many QUALITY games, ie ones with good graphics, keep-coming-back gameplay, decent length and last the age of time; and there are many with shite graphics, shite gameplay and extremely short gameplay. For example, many consider Scramble (MAME) a sheer classic; newer gamers would think it sucks. On tennis games, Snoopy Tennis on the GameBoy Color is, I believe the best tennis game available, in terms of gameplay and fun - yet it is unlikely to appear on a list. One of the worst games I played was a tanks game on the GameBoy Color - had about 2 minutes gameplay (at most), then it just repeated itself.

Hunt for the screenshots of all the games on all the platforms - it is not hard to find such sites, and it is good research anyway. You then decide which ones you like, and hunt for the games in question. You then end up with YOUR favourite games to play...

I'm on the hunt for snoopy tennis to validate that opinion :) I do agree with you though, you cant argue taste, its a pointless discussion without conclusion. For example, snoopy tennis may well be the most fun tennis game out there, but if i dont like tennis or even sports games, i will not like it, regardless of how well made or designed the game is.

The same applies to all game genres. I've played many great RPGs which my mate would consider 'shit or boring' because he is into fighting games..

I think there is probably a general list you could mash together though, including all genres to keep everyone (kinda) happy.

A favourites list isn't a bad idea.. especially when you've got 100's of roms to scroll through each time. There's another solution though, for those emus that allow command line options anyway, just make a section in gmenu2x and add direct links for your favourite roms.

Where's Ecco 2 and Vectorman on that MD/Genesis list? :(

Ecco 2's sound has been screwed up in DrMDx for a long time, but the exact reason for things like this can be tricky to track down, I can imagine. The game's background scrolling is messed up badly in some places too, like the "New Machine" and "Dark Sea" levels especially. But it did use the hardware in new and unique ways, and most emulators for PC didn't get it right until 2002ish ... DrMDx behaves more like the mid-90s MD emulators like Genecyst which exhibited similar behavior. It'd probably take a lot of work to get some games like that up to speed. Not sure on how well PicoDrive handles that, I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet..

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 19 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
Why would you want to play Elite on the spectrum? Bizarre...

And YakumoFuji, there are some excellent Lynx games: Rampart (most playable version of any console, including arcade, IMHO), Joust (Arcade perfect), Lemmings, Scrapyard Dog, Todds Adventures in Slimeworld, etc...
I agree. Stun Runner is my favorite! :)

Couldnt agree more, the Lynx is one of my favorite systems of all time and has a load of really good quality games and some of the best arcade converstions around.

Long Live The Lynx, I say B)

Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
Where's Ecco 2 and Vectorman on that MD/Genesis list? :(

Yes, they should be on the list, as they are well known classics. I'm also missing Comix Zone (one of my all time favorites)
And Micro Machines :p

I'm impressed of the compatibility of PicoDrive, haven't found a game that doesn't run.. some games are a bit slow though, but still very playable

gavie posted on Sep 19 2006 at 12:53 PM said:
I'm impressed of the compatibility of PicoDrive, haven't found a game that doesn't run.. some games are a bit slow though, but still very playable
We'll see how it stands up to a 305 MHz overclock ... PicoDrive! Have at you!

Back