Best Nintendo Game Boy Games

Put me down as another vote for Revenge of the Gator - one of the best pinball games ever.

I used to love GB Tennis too.

Shantae is pretty impressive on the GBC!
I was soooo addicted to GB Tennis! I daren't even pick it up again now :p

Super Mario Land 1-2: More classic Mario action, I especially enjoyed #2.

I thought those games were the worst, more horrifically butchered mario games I had ever played. They aren't created at all by the team that brought you the original NES Super mario, EVERYTHING in the world is disproportionate to the size of mario, the physics are just complete garbage... It's just bad. Everything about it is bad and it makes me wonder if you've ever actually played ANY Super mario game EVER.

I thought those games were the worst, more horrifically butchered mario games I had ever played. They aren't created at all by the team that brought you the original NES Super mario, EVERYTHING in the world is disproportionate to the size of mario, the physics are just complete garbage... It's just bad. Everything about it is bad and it makes me wonder if you've ever actually played ANY Super mario game EVER.

Disagree mate, I really liked the first Mario Land on GB (never played the second). Sure, it wasn't the "same" but it was fun anyway.

Yeah I really liked the first Mario Land as well. Played through it many, many times as a kid. The second one was fairly decent I think, don't remember it too much now.

I've played them all up through Mario 64. I'll have to revisit these games once I get my Pandora, but I do have fond childhood memories of both. I think we just have different tastes when it comes to side scrollers, although we both like the Wario Land series.

Megaman Xtreme 1 & 2 - Basically Megaman X 1, 2, and 3 put in a blender with some extra elements from the 32-bit games.

Metal Gear Solid/Ghost Babel - Like the MSX games, but with elements from the Playstation game.

RC Pro-Am - Fun isometric racing game with weapons and power-ups

Legend of Zelda - There are three for the Game Boy: Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons

Batman: Return of the Joker - An example of a good Batman game.

Bionic Commando - Identical to the NES game

Mario Bros. DX - Port of the NES game with tons of extras

I know I have a ton more games, but I can't think right now.

Metal Gear Solid/Ghost Babel - Like the MSX games, but with elements from the Playstation game.

I really loved this game. It was almost identical in gameplay to the Playstation game. It wasn't quite as hard as the MSX Games, though.

Donkey Kong

this game is epic and no one knows about it. its where mario got his back flip. 100 levels in the fashion of donkey kong and donkey kong jr. but mario has a few new moves. best gameboy only mario game.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D8G0mVmvxdo?feature=oembed

mario land 2: 6 golden coins was awesome. you could save your game and there where different themed regions and hidden levels. most franchises that had/have games on gameboy where not made by the core group of developers. hell super mario bros 2 is a good example of why your developer source and physics similarities points are null and void http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2 . at least 6 golden coins had enemies and power ups that where in the original. bowser isnt even the bad guy in mario bros 2. (i loved mario bros 2 btw just making a point)

::EDIT:: i didnt care for mario land 1 but i played it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah I dunno, I've played SMB1-3 extensively (but, only the FDS version of 2, don't like Super Mario USA very much) and I've played SML1-2 and I think your criticism is way off target. I also disagree with you completely about things being disproportionate to Mario in SML1, they just happened to make everything smaller (Mario, enemies, everything) in terms of pixels than on the NES games because of GB's lower resolution. In SML2 they decided to go with a smaller viewport instead. I don't think the small size of things hurts SML that much. I don't see much difference in physics, unless you're referring to the different choice of enemies and play mechanics in SML. SML2's enemies and power ups are more conventional.

Maybe SML's team wasn't the same as SMB's, but they were still talented developers. Satoru Okada worked on Metroid and composer Hirokazu Tanaka worked on some of the best soundtracks for several NES games.

I don't see much difference in physics, unless you're referring to the different choice of enemies and play mechanics in SML.
It's been a while since I last played Super Mario Land, but could it be the difference in Mario's speed of movement and lesser "weight" in how he moves and jumps (the inertia feels different), that's being referred to?

(I quite like the game, myself. :p I also remember when Super Mario Land by The Ambassadors of Funk Featuring M.C. Mario would get played on the radio. Good stuff.)

I dunno, it doesn't seem that different to me. If you want a side-scrolling Mario game that really changed the physics look at NSMB.

Don't get me started on that game. :lol: (I do love NSMBWii, though. For some reason it works there.)

Project S-11 on Game Boy Color is a great space shooter ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_S-11

S11coverart.jpg

Tetris

Mario Land 2

Mole Mania

Kirbys pinball

Pokemon

Zelda: L.A.

Kirbys Dreamland

TETRIS ATTACK!

Tetris attack was so great...

Im sure Ive missed some but those are the ones that spring to mind.

If we're counting gameboy colour then Mario Bros. and the Zelda Oracles.

Super Mario Land 1-2: More classic Mario action, I especially enjoyed #2.

I can kinda see your point about sml1. I enjoyed it but it wasnt that great and its main attraction was that it was mario on a handheld device. As far as sml2 goes, your wrong.

It seems all my gameboy favorites have been listed already. :p

If we count gameboy color, then I have two to add, Dragon Warrior Monsters (probably my favorite game on the device) and Pokemon Trading Card Game. :p

Back