Best PS1 games thread

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
I felt this needed to be started, honestly. Here are my contributions:

Spyro The Dragon - Originally not too many older players took this game too seriously, but it's one of the best platformers for the playstation.

suikoden - Suikoden and Suikoden II are both amazing games. They have interesting plots And a battle system that will be familiar to you if you've played Final Fantasy. There are over 100 characters to collect, massive strategic battles between castles, and tons of side-quests. This is definitely an RPG you shouldn't miss.

Final Fantasy 9 - Final fantasy 7 and 8 both were good in their own right, but final fantasy 9 really brought the series back to it's roots. It has an interesting storyline, developed characters, great graphics, and wonderful music. This is one of the best RPGs on the playstation.

Tekken 3 - One of the best fighting games on the playstation. This game has tons of special moves, great graphics, and even a side-scrolling beat-em-up mode.

Grandia - Originally a sega saturn game. This game is great on the playstation, and has gameplay similar to the Lunar Series. The battle system is very good.

I always liked colin mcrea rally 1 and 2 (and 3 but thats for PS2)

I know cmr1 runs fine on the pandora with a small bit of overclock, did not manage to get past new sealand yet but I havent tried that hard :D

mcraerally_790screen001.jpg

(haha seeing this screenshot reminds me of how quick things get old :eek: I remember being amazed by this game after years of network Q rally on PC image of Network Q rally would that work in dosbox :) time to try it!! I will get the original cd from my brother soon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Fantasy 9 - Final fantasy 7 and 8 both were good in their own right, but final fantasy 9 really brought the series back to it's roots. It has an interesting storyline, developed characters, great graphics, and wonderful music. This is one of the best RPGs on the playstation.

Don't mean to disagree but Final Fantasy 7 is definitely the best Final Fantasy game for the PSone :)

Colin McRae was somewhat of a racing revelation to me at the time, much like Gran Tourismo. Which is probably the game I spent most of my PSX time with (screw you, FF7!). V-Rally was cool, too, but played quite differently, way faster and nearly unforgiving in the higher "levels".

V-RALLY.JPG

I also enjoyed Nightmare Creatures, nice and creepy 3rd person hack'n'slay.

Foto+Nightmare+Creatures.jpg

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was #1 in our local youth centre for ages, great multiplayer fun and it took ages to find all those gaps and stuff.

Something I recently discovered is Einhänder, a horizontally scrolling shooter by Square Ltd. It features polygon graphics, a cool soundtrack and somewhat fresh gameplay.

0.jpg

One largely unknown gem is Tomba! (there is also Tomba! 2; The games are called Tombi! in EU AFAIK) a sidescrolling platformer which offers different paths to take in a completely 3D surrounding. So much fun and stuff to explore in that game, I prefer it over Mario any day. *waits for the thunderclap*

tombips101mr1.jpg

Ooooh, there are so many great PS1 games... but I will choose a couple that people might have missed, and really really must play :)

Suikoden - The best RPG on any system, anywhere. Yes even better than Suikoden 2, all the Final Fantasies, Grandia, Chrono trigger/Cross and the Breath of Fire games... :p

It will break your heart, make you feel better than any game has ever made you feel, has a killer soundtrack, and adorable sprites. You will never forget this one... This game also features some of the most badass bad guys ever. Keep an eye out for Yuber... ;)

herohit.jpg
suikoden-1.jpg

Suikoden 2 - Yes I know I said number 1 was better, but this game is still a masterpiece, and still better than any other RPG ever released. Again, this game has the baddest badasses ever in a videogame. Luca Blight is my all time hero :p

suikoden_ii_2.jpg
jowyriou.jpg

Rollcage - Think Wipeout, think wheels, think driving upside down, think better weapons, think everything better. One of the best two player racers. Rollcage 2 was not so good...

Screen9.JPG

Tenchu Stealth Assassins.

To date the only Ninja game that feels like it might be based on you know.. ninja.

It's a stealth game. Set in Feudal japan, sneak past all the guards without being seen and kill your target.

It was really well done, has great atmosphere and amazing music. Unfortunately the dev team only made the one, the rest are all attempts at remaking the original and don't cut it.

bushidotenchuscreen014.jpg

Some random selections from my collection, in no particular order.

Parasite Eve 2

Galarians

Ghost In The Shell

Sheep Dog & Wolf (aka Sheep Raiders)

Tactics Ogre

Alundra

Persona

Harmful Park

Omega Boost

Gunners Heaven

Heart Of Darkness

Devil Dice

My all-time favourite game on PS1 :

CastleVania Symphony of the Night

sotn07.jpg

Let's see...

Mega Man 8 - Platformer - If you know the Mega Man drill by now, you'll probably love this one. It's a well-polished platformer with the usual Rock/Paper/Scissors boss-weapon-stealing setup, and some neat animated scenes here and there. Two mysterious alien robots fall from space, one good, one evil. Dr. Wily steals the remains of the evil one after it crashes to Earth in order to use it for his latest scheme, whilst Mega Man rescues the other, who survived the fall. It turns out that Dr. Wily wanted to extract Evil Energy (a substance that can possess a person's mind and multiply the bad thoughts in it until they go mad, unless it is quickly neutralised by someone who fights for justice) from the evil robot. This game is infamous for having terrible English dubbing, which actually has quite a bit of charm because those responsible were clearly trying quite hard, and some of it is not as bad as its reputation suggests (the Japanese version, Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes, is better in that regard).

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile - Platformer - A "2.5D" platformer, starring a long-eared flying cat (Klonoa) and his ring-spirit friend (Huepow), where the main cast are sprites, but the landscapes are polygonal. It has absolutely ingenious design, a fantastic story and beautifully-realised world woven into the game in such a way that they don't interfere with the game itself at all, and more maturity than the myriad of guts-and-gore-fests out there (I won't spoil any of it here - just play it). It also features some fantastically-realised fictional languages and dialects - Klonoa's speech isn't just random chattering, it's a proper language with its own grammar and syntax! Don't miss it.

My recommendations would be:

Silent hill - probably the best survival horror of all time

silent-hill-1-screenshot-big.jpg

Hogs of war - Great humour, great game play

crate_hogs.jpg

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Probably my all time favourite ps1 game.

s_3.jpg

Personal top ten:

1. Resident Evil Director's Cut

2. Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

3. Alundra

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Colin McRae Rally

6. Silent Hill

7. Resident Evil 2

8. Dino Crisis 2

9. Dino Crisis

10. Resident Evil 3

Notable mentions: Bushido Blade, Gran Turismo, WipEout 1/2097/3, V-Rally, Ridge Racer (NTSC version), Street Fighter Alpha 2&3, Tekken 3

Blaster Master: Blasting Again Sweet 3D remake of the original NES title. It mostly captures the best features of the original, adapted quite well to the 3D environment. A bit short (compared to the original) but quite good otherwise. For those of you who didn't have the pleasure of playing the NES one, it a "platforming" and "run and gun" game. You drive a tank and fight your way thru the mazes. At certain points you get off the tank and play with Jason going into areas the tank cannot go into (ie. small doors, small bridges) . The PS1 version incorporates the 3D aspect (there's some degree of auto aiming to shoot up/downwards) and side jumps (with jason and the tank) to dodge. As you progress you acquire powerups for your tank, from extra sub-weapons to a submarine mode. No wall-climbing this time though, but there's a pretty cool completely new powerup instead.

*accidentally clicks "reply" instead of edit*

Opps, sorry for double post. :p

s88368ba59c3ad3cb07de1eca4df54c8e.jpg
Silent bomber shooter game with a twist.Huge bosses that taunt you hard but brilliant.

Ahh Soul Reaver, what a blast from the past.

Another one of my favourites is MediEvil

medievil1lk2.jpg

Damn, all this reminiscence just makes me suffer harder for the lack of a decent portable saturn emu ):

I just finished Lunar and that's the only game I can say that I've ever finished on the PS1

I never owned one before...

Chrono Trigger

Abe's Odyssey / Exoddus

Metal Gear Solid.

Soul Blade.

And another vote for Suikoden - looking forward to playing through that one again.

Back