Best NES Games

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters. It's not as good as the SNES version, but it's the only fighting game of its kind (i.e. a Street Fighter II "clone") for the NES that I can think of. And if nothing else, the sound is awesome, not to mention the unintentional "1 PWN" and "2 PWN" that it looks like it says after player 1 or player 2 wins (it actually says "1P WIN" and "2P WIN", but because of the game's font and some pre-conditioning, it's easy to ignore the "I"). In fact, just for that, everyone should take a look at it, even if you don't like fighting games. Did I mention that this game was made by Konami?

Tetris (Tengen version). Also known as the "unlicensed" version of Tetris. This version is much better than the Nintendo version for the NES. I dare say it's better than the Gameboy version, too, if you're playing it on the Pandora (after all, it's just as portable either way). Cool-looking graphics, excellent music, and if you can get multiplayer working correctly, there's even the 2-player modes (which you can also play with an AI if you can't do multiplayer). Only downside is the cartridge is rare; I think it costed me something like $50, but it's totally worth it.

Super Mario Bros 2 (FDS version). Not to be confused with the international Super Mario Bros 2, which is known as Super Mario USA in Japan, the Famicom Disk System version of Super Mario Bros 2 is basically Super Mario Bros, but with new levels, slightly improved graphics, bugs fixed, new enemies, and some slight tweaks to the game. Some of these elements actually made it into later games: Luigi's higher jumping (international version of SMB2), poison mushrooms (mostly just cameo, e.g. in Mario&Luigi RPG), red piranha plants (Super Mario Bros 3), upside-down pipes (SMB3), bouncing higher off of enemies (SMB3), and inanimate objects like mushrooms and clouds having eyes (SMB3).

Ninja Ryukenden 3. (Pronunciation guide for English speakers: Re-you-Ken-Den.) This is actually the original Japanese version of what we call "Ninja Gaiden 3". The only reason I mention this version is the original Japanese version is much easier than the American version, since the American version strips the ability to continue after a game over. So if you're frustrated by that quirk in the American version, try the Japanese version for a bit of a break. Also, if you understand Japanese, I'd recommend all 3 of the original Japanese versions of this trilogy, simply because the dialog is much better in Japanese than in English (understandably, because English is much more restricted by the space limitation of the screen than Japanese is). By the way, in case anyone is interested, "Ninja Ryukenden" basically means "Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword". "Ninja Gaiden" basically means "Ninja Side-story", which I think is a silly name change. The original title is much cooler. :p

Doki Doki Panic. This is the game that ended up becoming the international Super Mario Bros 2. Very interesting game to check out, especially if you like the international SMB2.

I should also mention the very cool Mdbtroid hack (from the Metroid Database), which replaces the graphics of Metroid with much better ones.

Onpon4. Great list! What is your opinion of the second River City Ransom type game for the nes? I have been wanting to play it but just haven't made the time. What other Japanese releases are special?

Onpon4. Great list! What is your opinion of the second River City Ransom type game for the nes? I have been wanting to play it but just haven't made the time. What other Japanese releases are special?

I've never played any "River City Ransom" games (actually, I've never heard of them), and the only other special Japanese games that I can think of are the Final Fantasy titles. I'm sure my age has something to do with it; I'm only 18. I didn't grow up with the NES, I discovered it later on.

Actually, come to think of it, I've heard of the game "Mother", which was going to be released in the U.S. as "Earthbound", but it never was (although there's an incredibly rare cart, a prototype or something). But I've never played that game.

I have. There was an English prototype, which was discovered by Demiforce, a translation group. They re-titled it Earthbound Zero, to avoid confusion with the American SNES Earthbound (though the non-renamed ROM still exists). The prototype is actually 100% complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back