Best PS1 games thread

To keep this thread from going too off-topic, I've posted some pointers in the other one. I'm afraid I'm not aware of anything with a GUI, though - I haven't had a need to seek out such a thing.

For RPG, I also like Saga Frontier and Saga Frontier II. They are not popular as other Squaresoft games, but I like them for their unique story telling and pacing.

Dodonpachi : Quite possibly the greatest SHMUP of all time, plays like a dream on the Pandora DPAD. There is an incredible depth to this game once you start to get vaguely proficient. There are all sorts of risk / reward mechanics in place, such as your laser does more damage the closer it is to enemies, to score big you have to collect bonus items which of course makes you more vulnerable to attack etc.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MoZq2ff_e4Y?feature=oembed

On a side note people wanting a few suggestions of what to play on PSX could do worse than looking here :

PSX Shooters

PSX Hidden Gems

Wipeout 2097/XL

Gran Turismo 1 japanese edition

Tenchu

Ehrgeiz

Wild Arms

Marvel Super Heroes

Pocket Fighter

Soul Edge/Blade

Strider 2

Tekken series

Xenogears

+1 to

Suikioden

Einhander

Parasite eve

Xenogears (3rd fav rpg ever)- Behind PLANESCAPE TORMENT greatest game ever made on any system, more of a personality simulator than anything. I think we have a infinity engine port.

Silent hill

Bushido Blade - nothing ever like it on the market to this day.

Castlevania SOTN- look no further for a metroidvania, they made the best one in '98 or '97.

Star Ocean second story- Only if you have HOURS to waste.

Colony Wars

Tomba 1+2- In the top 15 platformers ever.

Team Buddies

Gallarieans

Grand Turismo 2- not even close to matched until the ps3 version

There was also a ps1 import I had alot of fun with that was kinda similar to Guardian Heros on Saturn (one of the greatest games ever made, nothing like it to this day. Probably had more multiplayer fun with this than even Turtles in Time for SNES.

This list should keep you busy for a few years.

Sorry for drunken post if I said anything stupid.

final fantasy VII

metal gear solid

final fantasy VIII

final fantasy IX

castlevania: symphony of the night

final fantasy tactics

resident evil 2

xenogears

chrono cross

suikoden II

legend of dragoon

tekken 3

silent hill

vagrant story

star ocean: the second story

gran turismo 2

tony hawk's pro skater 2

suikoden

resident evil

crash bandicoot 3: warped

twisted metal 2

parasite eve

resident evil 3: nemesis

gran turismo

crash bandicoot 2: cortex strikes back

driver

tomba!

street fighter alpha 3

legend of legaia

spyro 2: ripto's rage!

valkyrie profile

crash bandicoot

crash team racing

lunar: silver star story complete

syphon filter

breath of fire III

front mission 3

spyro the dragon

spyro: year of the dragon

final fantasy chronicles

tomb raider

chrono trigger

grandia

tekken 2

tony hawk's pro skater

mega man x4

final fantasy VI

alundra

tenchu: stealth assassins

Dang, sons, no mention of Silhouette Mirage or Rakugaki Showtime? Let's get some Treasure love up in this!

Silhouette Mirage was an off-the-wall run-and-gun of sorts that was a hybrid of Gunstar and Ikaruga, and is probably Treasure's most stylized game yet. Multiple paths and endings, a selection of weapons, and hilarious localization, along with Treasure's signature, beautiful spritework. Some gamers complained about the US version's increased difficulty, but after you pick up the game's mechanics and get into the habit of managing your Spirit meter, it's hard to imagine the game being any easier.

Rakugaki Showtime is a bit of a rarity, but nonetheless worth every penny: a party fighter that feels loosely like Power Stone, starring a bunch of doodly characters rebelling against their creator (HAN?) for God knows what reason. The fights quickly escalate into pure chaos as you and several other characters commence throwing crap at each other, reflecting projectiles, smacking each other around, and scrambling for a smiley face that rains pure terror on everyone unlucky enough not to've grabbed it first. It's been my go-to time killer on the bus since the Pandora landed on my doorstep :B

TOP SHOP <3

images.jpeg

Hi everyone

Here are my fav ps1 videogames in order of favness

# 1 abes oddessy

#2 tombi

#3 rayman

#4 GT2

#5 forsaken

#6 tomb raider (sorry tomb raider fans I am a tomb raider fan also but not as good as some)

The reset button (I know it isn't a game but aaaaarrrggggg)

I have a little brother

No order,

Rayman ( yea rayman)

Pandemonium

THPS(all of them)

Metal Gear Solid

Colin Mcrae

Gran Turismo 2

Syphon Filter

Crash Bandicoot 3

For MP playing, although this is diffifult for the pandora, you might are able to insert a gamepad for the 2nd player, I enjoyed Future Cop. Coop/SP mode: Complete the action based missions against crime syndicates. Battle for the ground: Versus mode, conquer towers on the map, destroy enemy units in order to get scores. Use them to build your own units. Each player has a base, once an enemy tank or power tank gets into it, that player won the match.

Also worth noting is Digimon Rumble Arena, I found it more funny to play as it might sounds to you right now. Actually a simple beat them up game.

Bah, I just need to get a pandora somehow now, eh.

I'm currently playing through Gran Turismo 1.

I found Alien Trilogy, Die Hard Trilogy, and Formula One 2000 in a charity shop yesterday for 50p each. Well happy :D

I never had a PS1 before last year so this list has given me a heads up on some top games. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Crime Killer" was an an unusually slick driving/shooting game back then. Very pleasing famerate and game mechanics. Looks every bit as slick on the Pandora now. Difficulty curve is a bit prone to leaping suddenly, but it's a really good blast.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5t-6BL9yPDc?feature=oembed

If you like a cerebral (ie sometimes inordinately difficult) bit of castaway adventuring with pretty pictures and pleasing sounds, the PS1 version of RIVEN is by far the best original edition of the game - the transitions from stills to FMV are near seamless, the PC & Mac versions of the time used really low grade clips that spoiled the illusion -no idea if that was ever sorted in later releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
No time to read all the list just yet but im going to throw this one in there in a hope its not already been dropped...

THRILL KILL

Banned over here in UK, i had it on a copy and that was from Italy i think.

Mad game though, multiplayer mayhem, would still like to play this again now - been ages

Dr Faustrus, Odd Ball, some other characters i cant recall.... anyone else play that?

no one has said speed punks yet?!?!?!?!?!?! possiblly the greatest mario kart rip off ever!!! and it plays well on the new revision!!! please check it out!!!! it really rocks!!!
sony-speed-punks-psx_1925804_175.jpg

no one has said speed punks yet?!?!?!?!?!?! possiblly the greatest mario kart rip off ever!!! and it plays well on the new revision!!! please check it out!!!! it really rocks!!!
sony-speed-punks-psx_1925804_175.jpg

Does it have as any punctuation marks as your post!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Heart of Darkness and front Mission 3 are also very interesting games on PS1.

Back