Beauty competition.

On thing i dont realy understand: This Debian Linux is portet to the Pyra, so as well its Repo ?? , so dos this mean i could in theory use every Programm from this Repo on my Shiny New Pyra ?? As long its fits the Hardware Specs,
So no need for Porting of single programms, as long as they where allready in the Repo ??

In general, yes, stuff from the repo should work. There are two problems that you are likely to hit:

1. stuff that isn't compiled for armhf (yet), I have seen this with a few emus
2. stuff that hits current graphics limitations, e.g. if it tries to use certain DRM/KMS APIs without understanding rotation, or if it uses GL features not supported by gl4es

I am not sure the best way to improve (1), some of these probably just need building and others might have issues that stop them from working on armhf. I am currently looking into getting DRI3, GBM and an improved X server (xf86-video-armsoc-omap5) TILERised and working, which should improve the situation in (2) a bit.

On thing i dont realy understand: This Debian Linux is portet to the Pyra, so as well its Repo ?? , so dos this mean i could in theory use every Programm from this Repo on my Shiny New Pyra ?? As long its fits the Hardware Specs,
So no need for Porting of single programms, as long as they where allready in the Repo ??
The goal set out long ago at the beginning of the Pyra software development was to keep it as close to a stock OS. So yes this is regular armhf Debian with an extra repository for Pyra related things.

Games and such on the regular repo can be not as optimized for the Pyra as you would like, for example one thing I found was the regular debian DOSBOX is extremely slow compared to a version compiled on the OMAP5 itself with all the optimized flags.

My plan is more like to get the Special Things like Games and Emulators that needs to be optimiced to the Pyra from the Pyra File Archive, and the more common things that dotnt need that much optimazion like Text Editor, Guitar Programms, and this like from the Debian Repo.., as long they ditnt got Port and optimized..

FWIW, I don't think there's likely to be a pyra file archive this time round. We're more likely to have a pyra dbp repo.

The only place I'm unsure is in the case of web browsers. Speed can be relatively important there, but they're such a target for hackers these days that updates are coming out quick and fast, and lone maintainers here have historically had difficulty keeping up. Might end up using the armhf drop and sucking it up.

Reactions: rSl
The main problem with browsers is them leaking cookies and other identifiers between services. But yeah, it's worth sandboxing your browsers if you can, although I've no experience of the penalities in terms of speed so far.

Ok so who is number 1 in the queue for a Pyra? I need someone to direct my envy at. Once again I have no clue where I might be... in the queue that is... I am in the second batch. I missed the elitists boat...kidding... obviously...
If the newer news post poll is to be believed (and doesn't receive a sudden reverse set of votes), it'll be @daveshah. As long as your envy doesn't affect his coding powers, I don't have a problem with that. @vcoleiro is number 4 or number 5 now. I'm number 55 according to my PCB, and you're welcome to envy me if you like, although I'm not sure how envyworth a number like that is.

Here another video I have just done. This time I use mupen64 and FZero. I also I recorded using 60fps capability of my phone. I think this time the smoothness show better, but unfortunatly, there is still some "blinking" due to the pwm of the backlight screen that shows (it doesn't in real life). But there is no blinking in the Keyboard...

(mmm, maybe I should have posted this on the other thread, but I didn't want to divert the the subject about the Poll)

Last edited:
Thanks for that! Hard to tell from the clip, but it looks like the Pyra's screen contrast is a lot better. In the previous video it just looked dark, but there looks like a distinct improvement in this latest video.

Yeah, there were 200 pre-preorders, and those got numbered unpopulated prototype PCBs for their money. I'd be surprised if any of them cancelled yet but you never know. Other preorders didn't get anything to indicate their position in the queue but can work it out more or less by looking at the timed records (that link is the only text file still accessible on that site, or you could look at my old thread which runs until those shop redesign)

Here another video I have just done. This time I use mupen64 and FZero. I also I recorded using 60fps capability of my phone. I think this time the smoothness show better, but unfortunatly, there is still some "blicking" due to the pwm of the backlight screen that shows (it doesn't in real life). But there is no blinking in the Keyboard...

(mmm, maybe I should have posted this on the other thread, but I didn't want to divert the the subject about the Poll)
Great job with N64.
How many more emulators are confirmed working on Pyra ?

Yeah, there were 200 pre-preorders, and those got numbered unpopulated prototype PCBs for their money. I'd be surprised if any of them cancelled yet but you never know. Other preorders didn't get anything to indicate their position in the queue but can work it out more or less by looking at the timed records (that link is the only text file still accessible on that site, or you could look at my old thread which runs until those shop redesign)
Ah ok. So the initial batch of pre-orders was 200. I believe I am relatively close to the start of the second pre-order queue. Then hopefully there will not be much delay in me getting mine once production starts.

Yes, the initial pre-preorderers (not a typo) were the first 200 orderers. Standard pre-orders came later. But that has no influence on batch sizes that will be produced, which I think last time I heard were 500 at a time at least to begin with (actually 550 with 10% spoils, which technically gives a batch size of 495 but never mind that).

I'm number 55 according to my PCB, and you're welcome to envy me if you like, although I'm not sure how envyworth a number like that is.
As a Schnapszahl it grants quite a bit of envy-ability - at least from some.

Back