Beauty competition.

Free from Ned Stark "Pyra is coming" ^^

I know that the Release Date is near, but i dont know how this whole Massproduktion Preeorder Thing works.
I thought that EvilDragon and his team makes the Pyrae, and then whe pay the rest of the Price and get our Pyra..
(ich hab schon gewusst das der Release nahe ist, aber nicht so ganz wie das wirklich funktionirt, ich dachte eigendlich die werden erst gebaut, und dann bezahlen wir den Rest und bekommen unsere Pyra)..

Here is what I know:

1. We build Pyras
2. EvilDragon sends out E-Mails to the first 500 preorderers
3. Customer answers and pays the rest of the price
4. DragonBox ships Pyra
5. If customer does not answer within a given time frame the next one in order will get an E-Mail.
6. When EvilDragon got enough money (from the Pyras) he'll order the next 500.

Yup, a fast Gimp concept:

Nice, seems like you used bucket filling with very low opacity which is more realistic.

4) Spray paint 90º from the surface.
Seems like you know what you are talking about, I was thinking that I'd have to do just that when simulating in my head. I also imagined I'd have to spray far from the target.
The hard part for me would be to do a precise cut.

I just took a brush, set the size bigly huge and painted all over the selected area. It's not realistic looking, but it gives an idea of what I was thinking of at least. Some way of using a tint of the original texture might indeed be better, but I haven't tried that yet:
Bucket filling in black with some transparency seems kinda like that with some texture to it. The problem I have with both of these is it always looks greyish and not textured. To me the ideal would be dark grey and textured, black and textured or plain black.

i like the contrast of the original, in both material and in color, and i'm sure it will grow on people like the cybertruck :oops:
I think it'll grow out of people actually. Most people don't care now because they are excited about the Pyra becoming real. I'm excited about the Pyra becoming real but I have to push for the last detail.

Just focus on the production for now. It's impossible to make everyone happy in any case.
How much focus waiting for parts and companies requires?
I don't understand why you people always want to tell people what they must not do, especially if it doesn't take anything away from you since it doesn't cause delay.

If you're seriously considering crowdfunding such a thing you should probably make a new thread for it. You'll get better visibility that way.
I wanted to see if there was at least some interest before making a thread.
But first I need to know if we can get the crowdfunding managed.

@EvilDragon I don't want to force anything on you but it seems easy that way and you can make profit. I'll totally understand if you don't want to and sorry to bother you.

I figured 3 way to get things done easily if you don't have a better plan:
- I create a post with a poll and manage to get at least 30 people to vote that they want to buy one, then you create a preorder for the logo plates and If you get enough you order them.
- You create the preorder directly and advertise it in a newspost.
- You make people chose between the dark and light plate for the black case as default to be produced, if people chose the dark version the remaining grey plates are used for futur grey cases or sold.

Again if you don't agree it's ok and thank you for the hard work on the Pyra.

Last edited:
How much focus waiting for parts and companies requires?

None. Most of the parts are ready, and some aspects of the assembly is already taking place and I feel perfectly happy at this point.

I understand you want it to be perfect, as everyone else does (with their own interpretation of what that means). ED demonstrated the stickers a long time ago in a video and it seemed to be received positively overall at the time.

I may decide to mod it at a later stage, but for now I think both versions look great, and I don't see any specific requirement for change. To be honest, I don't think many of us even expected a choice of case colours from the offset, so I think that's also fantastic news.

Ok, but how do you know that the Pyra Number 28 should be Dark Chrome, and 4g 4GB EU ??

I suppose it will be the same as it was with the Pyra 1GHz preorders.
ED can get a list from his shop where each customer has a number.
You are number 28.
Then you get an E-Mail which asks you to pay the rest of the price and what color you want.
As soon as you answer and you send the money the Pyra will be shipped.

Release date is near :)
Me at the moment :
original.jpg

Wasnt there also a special Serial Number for each pree pree order ? , but i on the other side, its just a sticker, so he can put these quite fast on the Pyra..

Me at the moment :
original.jpg

I plan to help EvilDragon building the first Pyras to save money.
And he told me that it will happen the next months.
I don't know anything specific as I did not visit him in person during the last couple of months (Corona and so much stuff to do personally) but we are really close.
Closer than "Christmas this year" :p.

As I have a Prototype for quite some time now and I can tell you the gap between Pandora and Prototype is huge.
But the gap between Prototype and final release will be as large as the gap between Pandora and (my very old) Prototype.

It is coming and I'm very excited.
I lost interest in the Pyra for quite a while but during the last weeks while I was writing some major part of my bachelor thesis on the Prototype I realized again that there is no other device as great as the Pyra.

It's coming and it will be great.
My device with no sound, no hdmi, no modem, no 3D acceleration, bad wifi hardware, broken housing and occasional freezes is already of so much value to me.
Imagine what the final version will offer to all of us.

As you can see, I'm a fanboy again :p

Bucket filling in black with some transparency seems kinda like that with some texture to it. The problem I have with both of these is it always looks greyish and not textured. To me the ideal would be dark grey and textured, black and textured or plain black.
Bucket fill doesn't work IME because the colour is not a flat patch, it has variance in it. Sometimes it just matches a small patch, and sometimes it covers the entire area but without some inclusions.

I just used colours->levels to set a curve and got this, Even at 100% I rather like the way it's come out, seems to have come out with dark edges. My only complaint is that the selection seems to have some straight edges that are visible, but if that's all I can see I can't have much to complain about. You may not like it for aesthetic reasons of course, but at least I'm providing alternatives that look vaguely realistic.

In case anyone wants to reproduce this (not sure why they would, but it's not for me to guess). My curve had one extra point pulling low values extra low, but it was about 50% across on the input scale. The rightmost point was higher making it a curve not a straight line, but was still not more than say 70% up the output scale.

There's a slight change in lighting versus the flat painted one at viewable scales. If you zoom in to 100% you can see all of the detail now, but I'm not sure why you would do that.

Edit: I'm also re-including the original black prototype picture, so you can compare and see what I've done.

Attachments

• Pyra-logoplate_dark2.jpg
    Pyra-logoplate_dark2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • Pyra-Black1.jpg
    Pyra-Black1.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Bucket fill doesn't work IME because the colour is not a flat patch, it has variance in it. Sometimes it just matches a small patch, and sometimes it covers the entire area but without some inclusions.

I just used colours->levels to set a curve and got this, Even at 100% I rather like the way it's come out, seems to have come out with dark edges. My only complaint is that the selection seems to have some straight edges that are visible, but if that's all I can see I can't have much to complain about.

In case anyone wants to reproduce this (not sure why they would, but it's not for me to guess). My curve had one extra point pulling low values extra low, but it was about 50% across on the input scale. The rightmost point was higher making it a curve not a straight line, but was still not more than say 70% up the output scale.

There's a slight change in lighting versus the flat painted one at viewable scales. If you zoom in to 100% you can see all of the detail now, but I'm not sure why you would do that.
I don’t really get it; are you trying to reach a look where the transition between case and logo is seamless, colour-wise?

I don’t really get it; are you trying to reach a look where the transition between case and logo is seamless, colour-wise?
No, I'm just trying to make a logo plate that's the same as it currently is but made out of darker plastic/paint. I'm experimenting with lower contrast. You should still be able to pick out all of the edges, but it shouldn't glare out of you in any sense of the word.

No, I'm just trying to make a logo plate that's the same as it currently is but made out of darker plastic/paint. I'm experimenting with lower contrast. You should still be able to pick out all of the edges, but it shouldn't glare out of you in any sense of the word.
Ahhh ok I was confused; thought you were trying to achieve the same colour/seamless transition but then I looked at the image and thought “I can still very easily tell the difference between the case and the logo plate” xD

I don't know anything specific as I did not visit him in person during the last couple of months (Corona and so much stuff to do personally) but we are really close.
Closer than "Christmas this year" :p.

i initially read this as "ED and I are really close", and "Closer than Christmas" as you do more things together than just opening Christmas presents. <3

of course, you build Pyras together, what closer bond could people have?

Back