Beauty competition.

About the nubs:
I didn't have black ones here, so I used some older ones (but fixed that in the photos so you see how it should really look like). On the video, I couldn't do that ;)

Only parts that have ugly discolorizations will be coated.

The nubs, shoulder buttons and stylus will not be coated and therefore will be black, so yeah, we will have a contrast there :)

Oh right, I assumed it was going to be like the Pandora, where the stylus and the shoulders (but not the nubs or the d-pad) were painted silver on my 1GHz unit. Now that's what I call contrasty!

I'm not sure I'm too keen on a logo surround that's darker than the case. Plus also, unlike the case itself, it's designed to be shiny. I'm wondering what a polished lead colour would look like now.
You can't really do darker than black. I guess it could be textured like the grey logo plate or plain black. There will be some contrast anyway since you can't get the exact same reflectance but I don't see an issue with it, it can even look better.

Are you admitting a problem with your render then? I guess because you've made it rgb0,0,0 or thereabouts the only way to do it in reality would be to make it out of vantablack, which as I say I wouldn't be in favour of anyway.

Are you admitting a problem with your render then? I guess because you've made it rgb0,0,0 or thereabouts the only way to do it in reality would be to make it out of vantablack, which as I say I wouldn't be in favour of anyway.
There is more than one color on the lid because of the light, I had to choose a grey, I could have chose a better average but I did it on purpose. It's just an example I'm not skilled in editing photos.
Vantablack doesn't exist on a screen. If we don't choose black it'll be hard to choose between the large scale of grey.
The case is black with some reflections due to the coating, I believe if we choose black there will be a contrast between the logo and the lid depending on the lighting.
Which color would you like ?

Only parts that have ugly discolorizations will be coated.
The nubs, shoulder buttons and stylus will not be coated and therefore will be black, so yeah, we will have a contrast there :)

Then I maybe prefer black (same color as plastic, less contrast), but I don't care.

An I like your edited photo @Kiga. The black plate looks better that in silver.
But only a little, not enough for me to pay 1 € or receive one more package or spend 10 minutes modifying the case.
Silver is nice enough.

I'm wondering if the fact that the stylus, nubs, shoulder buttons (and dpad, I guess?) are not coated makes them feel different to touch
and whether that helps in "finding" them without looking. I guess the shape of the controls, and engraving of the buttons is already enough
to find them by touch, but maybe if the surface feels different people can get a sensation as if they're active (which they are, so helpful).

I made a black Pyra with a black logo plate using my poor editing skills:

View attachment 36120

Let me know if you are interested to crowdfund 300€ to get a black logo plate.

You realize you can mod your Pyra once you receive it right?

I mean, your black logo mod is as easy as:

1) Buy a can of matte black spray paint and masking tape.
2) Disassemble the logo plate or just use masking tape to cover the area surrounding it.
3) Clean the surface.
4) Apply a pair of matte black paint layers, 10min. dry time between them.
5) Let it dry for a few hours and remove the tape.

Done and for just a few bucks.

"But the paint will chip/get scratched/whatever..."

If you do it well and don't play soccer with the Pyra, it won't. But you could also use some high performance paint/coating, like the one designed for brake caliper coating, for instance:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-HWP104-Black-Performance-Wheel/dp/B00B3UZJZC/?th=1

That is really easy to apply and extremely resistant, and it looks like they also make Rose Gold, doesn't have to be black...

Edit that's rim coating, the caliper one:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCP400-Single-Brake-Caliper/dp/B00G75U5CA/?th=1

But I bet you can find it locally on any car-shop.

Last edited:
.. they also make Rose Gold, doesn't have to be black...

maxresdefault.jpg

There is more than one color on the lid because of the light, I had to choose a grey, I could have chose a better average but I did it on purpose. It's just an example I'm not skilled in editing photos.
Vantablack doesn't exist on a screen. If we don't choose black it'll be hard to choose between the large scale of grey.
The case is black with some reflections due to the coating, I believe if we choose black there will be a contrast between the logo and the lid depending on the lighting.
Which color would you like ?
Well, I'm not averse to some contrast between the logo plate, but I can see what some people mean when they complain about the degree of contrast between the case and the logo plate. As I said in a post earlier on this page, I'd like to see something that similutates a dark metal such as lead in that space to see how that looks.

I just tried to simulate it in GIMP, but using the magic paint brush I had trouble selecting the entirety of the simulated metal plate. But I now think that a colour with a luminance of about 25% across the plate might be the thing I was trying to obtain, if you'd be kind enough to do that for me.

You realize you can mod your Pyra once you receive it right?

I mean, your black logo mod is as easy as:

1) Buy a can of matte black spray paint and masking tape.
2) Disassemble the logo plate or just use masking tape to cover the area surrounding it.
3) Clean the surface.
4) Apply a pair of matte black paint layers, 10min. dry time between them.
5) Let it dry for a few hours and remove the tape.

Done and for just a few bucks.

"But the paint will chip/get scratched/whatever..."

If you do it well and don't play soccer with the Pyra, it won't. But you could also use some high performance paint/coating, like the one designed for brake caliper coating, for instance:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-HWP104-Black-Performance-Wheel/dp/B00B3UZJZC/?th=1

That is really easy to apply and extremely resistant, and it looks like they also make Rose Gold, doesn't have to be black...

Edit that's rim coating, the caliper one:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCP400-Single-Brake-Caliper/dp/B00G75U5CA/?th=1

But I bet you can find it locally on any car-shop.
Thank you much for this. I may do that. Though it'd be hard to protect the translucent logo which is sticked to the logo plate from the paint.
It'd still cost more than a 10€ logo plate. We need 30 people willing to buy, for the logo plate to cost 10€ by the way.

I just tried to simulate it in GIMP, but using the magic paint brush I had trouble selecting the entirety of the simulated metal plate. But I now think that a colour with a luminance of about 25% across the plate might be the thing I was trying to obtain, if you'd be kind enough to do that for me.
I don't know how to do it. I tried to bucket fill the area with black and opacity at 98% but it's not very good. Here is a gimp file with the logo plate selected if you want to try or if anyone want to play: Link

Yup, a fast Gimp concept:

Masking the transparent part is easy:

1) Draw a cut out of the part (or print the silhouette 1:1) on a white sticker.
2) Cut it with scissors.
3) Stick it on the part.
4) Spray paint 90º from the surface.
5) Remove the sticker.

Or just cut masking tape to size, it's actually easier than it sounds.

And there you are, logo finishing at will...

Edit: Or you can also go the overkill way, buy an aluminum logo from ED and get it PVD coated to your liking...

Last edited:
Hello,
The black color for the Pyra case is magnificent and great !!! \o/

Thank you much for this. I may do that. Though it'd be hard to protect the translucent logo which is sticked to the logo plate from the paint.
It'd still cost more than a 10€ logo plate. We need 30 people willing to buy, for the logo plate to cost 10€ by the way.
If you're seriously considering crowdfunding such a thing you should probably make a new thread for it. You'll get better visibility that way.

-Neelix

I don't know how to do it. I tried to bucket fill the area with black and opacity at 98% but it's not very good. Here is a gimp file with the logo plate selected if you want to try or if anyone want to play: Link
I just took a brush, set the size bigly huge and painted all over the selected area. It's not realistic looking, but it gives an idea of what I was thinking of at least. Some way of using a tint of the original texture might indeed be better, but I haven't tried that yet:

Attachments

• Pyra-logoplate_dark.jpg
    Pyra-logoplate_dark.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
meh, i like it the way it is, even with the black case. generally i like three shades of gray at any given time, but for some reason the dark gray doesn't do it for me. i like the contrast of the original, in both material and in color, and i'm sure it will grow on people like the cybertruck :oops:

getting excited!

I like the logo, and think it suits even the black version well after watching the video. Shades of the same colour also have the risk of looking tacky, and the number of possible variations outside that are limitless.

I might decide on a change later, but then I'd mod it myself and to my own liking (that's partly the point and benefit of open hardware), and/or see if there are alternative case options by then .

Just focus on the production for now. It's impossible to make everyone happy in any case.

Last edited:
One moment please: If whe can decide which Color whe want, dos this mean the Day where whe have to fullfill our preeorder is near ?
You have to know who gets which Color, so you can order the Cases in Black or Chrome at this Quantity, ..
Or do you just paint 500 and 500 in advance?

Free from Ned Stark "Pyra is coming" ^^

I know that the Release Date is near, but i dont know how this whole Massproduktion Preeorder Thing works.
I thought that EvilDragon and his team makes the Pyrae, and then whe pay the rest of the Price and get our Pyra..
(ich hab schon gewusst das der Release nahe ist, aber nicht so ganz wie das wirklich funktionirt, ich dachte eigendlich die werden erst gebaut, und dann bezahlen wir den Rest und bekommen unsere Pyra)..

Back