Battery goes away even when pandora is off

StepH

Still Fresh
Hi,

I've try to search the forum without success... Here is my problem.

I've received my pandora friday. If I charge the battery at 100%, there is only 80% left in the morning.

I close the pandora via "Shutdown", so as I can understand, the pandora is completey off.

More info :

The battery was alreay in the pandora when I receive it, at nearly 0. I've had to put the AC to boot the pandora the first time.

Also, this unit seems to be a "not completely new one", cause it as some little "griffe/rayure" on it, and the front face of the mould not very well "finished", but that's really not a problem...

But the battery is the problem... it loses about 2/3% per hour even turned off... Why ? I'm missing something ?

Step.

This can happen if the battery is not seated properly. Remove and reinstall the battery and see if that makes a difference. Also, it's not unusual for the battery monitor to report false information for the first several minutes that the unit is on.

I've already played with the battery.

I've add this 3 days along, so it is not after somes minutes.

What s really strange, is that it drain a lot. My impression was playing or not playing with my pandora, the battery goes away at pretty the same speed...

I "lose" around 10min per hour...

I'll try to put something to "press" more the battery on their contact.

Question : if i "remove" the battery at 100% and put it inside the pandora the morning, will the battery keep it's charge better ?

Here are the "test" result.

1. Battery charged at 97%. Battery removed during the night... en already 97% at the morning.

2. I plug the battery (the pandora turn on, then I shutdown immediatly)

3. I go to work and when I boot it up let's say 2h after I plugged it, the battery show 89%.

So, it seems that the pandora (even using "shutdown") don't completly shutdown...

Also (I work in an R&D), and some folk here are surprise that the device must be powered ON to charge the battery.

Is this related to my problem ?

Am i the only one with this battery problem ?

It seems that the problem comes from the pandora (as the battery keep its charge when removed).

But it is a software or and hardware problem ?

What can I do now ?

StepH.

Very strange indeed...Shut down usually means 100% off?
More like 95% off. The Pandora only has the one battery, which it uses to keep the clock ticking and certain other settings while it's off, but even so it should last months. The usage that StepH is seeing is indicative of a Pandora that is still actually running. In the early days, some people had this, but it was never fully explored and went away with hotfix 3 (or was it 2 even?). I wonder if hotfix 5 has done something. I can't see what it might have done though.

Maybe try downgrading to hotfix4?

I can try to go back to Hotfix4, but as i'm not sur it will solve the problem, I prefer let's the expert try to track this (apparently) software problem.

What can I do to help to find a solution (except going back to hot fix4 ?)

Is their tools or command line tool i can run to explore ?

As I've say, i'm sure this unit is a rebufed one cause she was like "already used" when I unpack it (i've no problem with that, let's say she was in a state I'll have reach after 2 week of normal use... not a big deal;-). Can a number on the pandora help to find this bug out ?

Long live Pandora ;-)

Oh... i've forgot to say that the pandora rocks.

For now, i can emulate perfectly C64, NES, SNES, COLECO, MAME4ALL, AMIGA and somes N64 (No sound for N64 yet)

One more test : it "seems" that by running "Background Killer" just before "Shutdown", that the battery keep its charge better.

But i've to "measure" this, it is just a "feeling" for now.

My original pandora had this problem too.it was a one nubber.it was losing 10 per cent charge overnight.rma,d it and my new pandora does not have this problem.Never checked if it was holding charge outside of the pandora though.

Also (I work in an R&D), and some folk here are surprise that the device must be powered ON to charge the battery.

Even my five year old dumb phone needs to be on while charging. It's less noticeable with other devices though, because they go into a special mode while charging and shut back off automatically when unplugged. Someone could implement this in the Pandora's firmware to make it conform to the same convention.

Now that you talk about nubs, i've to say that they "lose" their setting. I can't right now say why (maybe an emulateur that mismatch somethings), or it is related to the same problem (nubs drying battery even off) ?

Yes, N64 do stuck the nubs and analog button, there is a nub reset program can reset the status and resume normal...

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Now that you talk about nubs, i've to say that they "lose" their setting. I can't right now say why (maybe an emulateur that mismatch somethings), or it is related to the same problem (nubs drying battery even off) ?

IIRC saving nub calibration through power cycles is patented.

is it the whole idea of it or just one implementation? cause I thought you weren't supposed to be able to cover so broadly with a patent. Or, is it that whoever made the one patent also filed a shitstorm of other patents with every other implementation combination they could think of?

Does your Pandora boot when you turn it on? (it would take at least 30 seconds to boot) Or you already see your desktop?

I'm asking this because I was having the same issue and the reason is that my Pandora was auto powering on, so in the next day 30% of the battery was gone.

Try to do this:

"On a whim, I tried putting it facing the inside of the system on the opposite side of the battery, for more of a see-saw effect of pushing the end of the battery with no contacts out such that the end of the battery with contacts would be pushed in - much like pushing up on one side of a see-saw will push the other end down."

It worked for me. More info in This Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Back