Pandora Never Switches Off When Charging

midget35

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Really starting to enjoy the Pandora. Ironed out most of the early problems and am actually playing games on it these days ;). Big, big props to the Pandora team.

One strange issue persists though - if the charger is plugged into the mains and the Pandora, the unit cannot be switched off. If the unit is unplugged and I shut down the Pandora there is no problem.

Obviously I often want to charge the Pandora overnight but do not need it to be turned on as I'm not using it. I've reflashed the unit several times for other issues but this charging issue has always been there. I've also tried another battery but the behaviour is still observed. I've even tried holding down the right shoulder btn as it reboots again and selected boot off - but to no avail. The unit continues to reboot forever.

Is this meant to be the case? Is it desirable for the Pandora to be turned on when charging?

Thanks for any guidance guys.

It's not much consolation, but mine does exactly the same.

This is the one area where the Pandora let's me down a lot. Charging is very much a dark art and often, having left it to charge overnight I have come down to find that I have less power than before or it has simply drained out.

I'm not sure if one of my batteries ( fortunately I ordered a spare ) is the cause of the problem as when I first received my Pandora, the battery inside was totally dead.
Having not played with it for a week, I went back to find the battery utterly dead again ( yet the spare one was fine ).

I'm hotfixed up to patch 3 and nothing has ever made a difference.

This is actually no fault. The Pandora has to be switched on for the smart charging functions to work. This is normal and will be improved by creating a smaller "charging OS" so you don't need to fully boot XFCE/MMenu in the future. For best results put the Pandora in low power mode when charging or follow God Ginrai's advice.

God Ginrai said:
mali said:
^ It's always best to charge when the Pandora is already switched on and toggle the power switch once to go into low power mode for fast charging.
Actually, from all the problems people seem to be having with low power mode, I would suggest against it for charging. Instead, Toggle WiFi off, make sure no apps are open, be at standard clock or maybe 100 MHz lower, and close the screen. It works fine for me.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
I also want to hint at the Online User Manual
It's a valuable resource and many things are describe there :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Mali - thanks so much for always pointing me at the right material. Didn't think this was expected functionality so will check that manual next time something comes up :)

Oh, there comes another Question in my mind: does the Pandora at least turn off completely when charging is done? (Lets say, charging reachs 100% and then the unit shut down automaticly). Shouldn't be a problem because of the "soft off" switch, like a PC also has. :)

^ That wouldn't make much sense, imo. It'll trickle charge when it reaches 100%, so it'll remain at 100%. Also the automatic switch off function would have to be smart enough to decide if it should switch off or not. Imagine you are playing a game while at 99% and plugged in. You pause the game and do something else for a few minutes, then you come back and the device switched itself off cause it reached 100%. Putting effort in such a feature is a waste of time, imo.

mali said:
^ That wouldn't make much sense, imo. It'll trickle charge when it reaches 100%, so it'll remain at 100%. Also the automatic switch off function would have to be smart enough to decide if it should switch off or not. Imagine you are playing a game while at 99% and plugged in. You pause the game and do something else for a few minutes, then you come back and the device switched itself off cause it reached 100%. Putting effort in such a feature is a waste of time, imo.
Uh, we live in the 21. century, I expect that a device is smart enough to do this, because 99% of mobile devices can do this so call me a reason why the Pandora can't do such a standard procedure. ;)
A script should be possible that checks if the Pandora charges, is in power-save-mode and the Lid may be closed + the LCD is OFF. If these things are true, the Pandora simply switches off when reaches 100%, otherwise not (i.e. when it charges but not in power-save mode or charges and the Lid is not closed. ;)
So no worries if you charge and play a game, the Pandora shouldn't turn off.

^ Devices are not smart, software has to be smart to accomplish that ;) At least Nokia didn't bother to write a software for their tablets that switches it off after charging. That's the only device I have definite information about, but I doubt other smartphones and the like switch off when they reach 100%.

mali said:
^ Devices are not smart, software has to be smart to accomplish that ;) At least Nokia didn't bother to write a software for their tablets that switches it off after charging. That's the only device I have definite information about, but I doubt other smartphones and the like switch off when they reach 100%.
I don't know, I have no Smart Phones. :D
But I'm sure that an ordinary iPad/Phone/whatever simply turns off when done with charging or it does not even appear to be on during charging even if it is on internal. Otherwise I would hear the cry and questions of Millions of confused Apple worshipers.
For customers sake it is really recommended to give the Pandora a charging behaviour that the most Users would expect. Otherwise the Pandora Team has to deal with Thousands of "My Pandora turns on when I plug the Charger in..." and other stuff like this. ;) Would cost way more nerves than simply activate smart charging, I guess the OMAP is desinged for this and can do the job nearly from its own. At least this is what TI's Marketing announces (this and ALOT of other miracle OMAP Features :lol: )

^ I don't know what I should respond other than it works as intended and a less obvious charging OS will come in the future.

fusion_power said:
mali said:
I don't know, I have no Smart Phones. :D
But I'm sure that an ordinary iPad/Phone/whatever simply turns off when done with charging or it does not even appear to be on during charging even if it is on internal.
My 16Gb 2G iPhone doesn't switch off automatically once its fully charged.
I've had old cell phones that would sound the alarm clock function with the phone off, this iPhone won't do that. If its off, no Alarm, a major misfeature, and we are talking Apple here. I don't have a problem charging my Pandora with the unit on. Eventually there might be some magical charging solution, but I think you are asking too much at this point in the game. It charges, it works splendidly.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

No current phone switches off after charging.
Even my old Nokia 6310 displays a charging battery symbol in the LCD when I charge it and it's switched off.
This DEFINATELY means it's running - as without CPU, the LCD wouldn't display anything.

The difference with all those devices is that they don't bootup completely but only show a small animation.
Yes, this is also possible with the Pandora... but would it make sense?
As long as you don't have the Pandora open (display light needs a lot of memory) or WiFi / BT is enabled, it doesn't take longer to charge than if it would just display a small animation...

fusion_power said:
But I'm sure that an ordinary iPad/Phone/whatever simply turns off when done with charging or it does not even appear to be on during charging even if it is on internal.

Actually, no. Devices that "turn off" after charging turn off only if they were off when they were plugged in. Having it turn off whenever it reached 100 would be asinine and would cause much more crying than not having that so called "feature". (Just imagine all of the people bitching because their Pandora keeps turning off while they were listening to music)

-God Ginrai

EvilDragon said:
No current phone switches off after charging.
Even my old Nokia 6310 displays a charging battery symbol in the LCD when I charge it and it's switched off.
This DEFINATELY means it's running - as without CPU, the LCD wouldn't display anything.

The difference with all those devices is that they don't bootup completely but only show a small animation.
Yes, this is also possible with the Pandora... but would it make sense?
As long as you don't have the Pandora open (display light needs a lot of memory) or WiFi / BT is enabled, it doesn't take longer to charge than if it would just display a small animation...
Ha! I have the same Mobile Phone, good old Nokia 6310i. One of the few mobiles that you also can use with big hands :D
Yes, I know it is on during charge, thats not the Problem. The Pandora can also be on during charging. But the Handheld should at least turn off automaticly after charging has finished, at least when you pull the charger. ;) There is no need to keep the power-saving mode on all the time. Auto-off with charger is still pluged in is more complex I guess, so this was just a suggestion.
And the Nokia 6310 also goes OFF again, after you pull out the charger and this is all I want. ;) At the Moment, the Pandora seems to keep running, when you pull the charger, this should be changed, at least optional. So if the Handheld was on before, it stays on, and if the Charger put the Pandora on, it also puts the Pandora off, if you unplug the charger. :)

God Ginrai said:
Actually, no. Devices that "turn off" after charging turn off only if they were off when they were plugged in. Having it turn off whenever it reached 100 would be asinine and would cause much more crying than not having that so called "feature". (Just imagine all of the people bitching because their Pandora keeps turning off while they were listening to music)

-God Ginrai
Sorry if this was not clearly written by me. ^^" I also had this in mind like you described. My english is not the best.
Of course the Pandora would stay on during charging, if it wasn't in power savin mode before. (You don't listen Music in power saving mode usualy ;) )

I'm sorry, but how about just shutting down your Pandora when you take it off the charger?

Is it really that difficult?

I can have my Iphone turned off, hook it up to a power source and it turns it ON. It doesn't shut off when the charge reaches 100%, I don't know of anything other than a rechargeable AA battery in a plug in wall charger that does what you are asking.

The Pandora is NOT a cellphone either so why are you comparing it to one? The charging status makes sense especially 2 months into the wild.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Dingoo also stays on after removed from charger and at 100%

Back