Is it possible to shut down the Pandora when charging battery?

doragasu

When I plug the AC power supply to my Pandora, I'm not able to shut it down. If I try to shut it down, it starts the shutdown process, but instead of powering off, it reboots.

Is this normal? Is there a way of powering off the console while charging?

When I plug the AC power supply to my Pandora, I'm not able to shut it down. If I try to shut it down, it starts the shutdown process, but instead of powering off, it reboots.

Is this normal? Is there a way of powering off the console while charging?

No, you can't. Yes, this is normal. You can put it in low power mode, but not turn it off completely. The reason is, if I remember correctly, that the processor needs to be a bit involved in the charging process.

Edit: :ph34r: by Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
No, like all modern tech it needs to be on to charge.

Maybe I should have said "idle" instead of "off". Most modern tech need to be ON, but they go to idle state (CPU to the minimum, screen off, keyboard off, etc.) when you turn them off while charging. I don't know a single gadget other than the Pandora that when you try to shut it down, reboots instead of going to "idle" state.

I don't mind manually putting the Pandora to idle state, but just wanted to know if the reboot is normal (now I know that it is).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should have said "idle" instead of "off". Most modern tech need to be ON, but they go to idle state (CPU to the minimum, screen off, keyboard off, etc.) when you turn them off while charging. I don't know a single gadget other than the Pandora that when you try to shut it down, reboots instead of going to "idle" state.

I don't mind manually putting the Pandora to idle state, but just wanted to know if the reboot is normal (now I know that it is).

the low power mode is currently the best there is, it has been sugested to be able to just boot a minimal kernel to get it to the charging state and that's it, then it wouldn't look like it was on, even though technically it is (how most gadgets do it)

it has been sugested to be able to just boot a minimal kernel to get it to the charging state and that's it, then it wouldn't look like it was on, even though technically it is (how most gadgets do it)
In Maemo (Nokia tablets) this is done by booting into different runlevel i.e. same kernel just the gui is not started and the thing is waiting for power key press to switch to normal runlevel. There is a bootreason flag in kernel so that startup scripts know the poweron was done by inserting charger cable or whatever. Not sure if current Pandora kernel tells you the boot reason.

In Maemo (Nokia tablets) this is done by booting into different runlevel i.e. same kernel just the gui is not started and the thing is waiting for power key press to switch to normal runlevel. There is a bootreason flag in kernel so that startup scripts know the poweron was done by inserting charger cable or whatever. Not sure if current Pandora kernel tells you the boot reason.

there's bound to be something like that, even if it's not programmed in yet there will be some way of telling if the power on signal came from inserting the charger, i think that was the plan etc, but obviously other things are taking priority over it

Back