Batch 2 Release Date

Damn, I shouldn't post THAT much, it makes me all dizzy :D

Preorders started September 08 OF COURSE. The first ones.

Evil, I do know you, Craig, Michael, Fatih are working monumentally hard on the Pandora. It's difficult to convey this in the forums because of overblown frustration, but all of us do treasure you guys for making the Pandora.

Just thought you fellows would like to know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness. For a second there I thought I'd somehow fallen asleep for a year. :blink:

Evil, I do know you Craig, Michael, Fatih are working monumentally hard on the Pandora. It's difficult to convey this in the forums because of overblown frustration, but all of us do treasure you guys for making the Pandora.

Just thought you fellows would like to know that.
Yep, exactly!!!

And yes, it was paid with the money from the first preorders, but it had been paid. Craig was not lying in this case.
Sorry, now I'm a little confused. Is the "second post (March 2008)" that you referred to still true (since the above post seems to have been made with a 1 year shift in time in mind)?

It's advertised that Pandora comes with a brilliant community of people which it's competitors lack, or can't offer a comparable one. STFU, bitchfest... Guys, please, hold on a second. Don't pour shit on others that fast, coz I'm writing it down for the sake of history. :D

I feel sorry for open Pandora...dealing with grown people bitching and moaning every time something goes wrong. Why don't people know how to relax and wait patiently. If this was a big name company you wouldn't even be able to get updates like this. Stop complaining already

And yes, it was paid with the money from the first preorders, but it had been paid. Craig was not lying in this case.
Sorry, now I'm a little confused. Is the "second post (March 2008)" that you referred to still true (since the above post seems to have been made with a 1 year shift in time in mind"]?[/quote]I was in the 1-year-shift. March 2009 was when we started a second preorder.
March 2008 was even more financed by us - never gave us the money back then :D

Okay, to clear things up:

Development has been funded by us. YOU did pay for the production of YOUR unit (and that's what we did say from the very beginning) :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the problem. Anyone not happy waiting can cancel their pre-orders. Done.

I'm fine to stick with the OP team for a bit longer, and I'd very much still like a Pandora. This was always a "community project" from the beginning, so a bit of leeway is expected.

And really, if this was a mega-corporation's device, you just wouldn't hear anything about the delays and troubles, you would sit there blissfully unaware until the glossy marketing campaign began. And yes, paying a pre-order is the trade-off for that. But like I said, if you're not happy, just cancel, that's perfectly fair. I know at least four guys who would jump in and fight for your pre-order spot now!

Development has been funded by us. YOU did pay for the production of YOUR unit (and that's what we did say from the very beginning) :)

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that my memory is indeed fully functioning, ED. :lol: And thanks also for your excellent posts - as always, they're very interesting to read. :)

whose finances depend on statistics which are almost certainly based on smaller samples, as a percentage. 200-300 out of 3000-3500 sounds statistically significant to me, personally :"]
The samples they take are usually entirely random, and can be used as a reasonable gauge. This forum is almost by necessity biased.
[/quote]Yes, certainly biased - but biased in what way? The only bias I'm sure of on these boards is pro handheld gaming... it's not like the forum-goers agree on everything all the time... ?

I suspect that a statistician would be happy with a sample of 200-300 to represent 3000/3500
A statistician would absolutely not be happy with a self-selected 200-300 sample.
I would imagine they would do something like select every 5th poster to compile their sample from. At least, that's the type of selecting I've seen staticians do when they have to try and produce meaningful results from a list of self-selected people (the example that comes to mind is the pass/fail marks of a test of students who are, of course, all self-selected to be in that class"].[/quote]IIRC the Nielson ratings used to be extremely self-selected as well, since the results came from boxes that the end user had to not only know about and agree to, but manually control to indicate what they were watching at any time of the day!

At the end of the day, if you've got responses from 200-300 of your customer base and no responses from 2700-3300 others, who are you going to listen to? Only the voices that can be heard. You can't draw much in the way of conclusions from the others except that, perhaps, they don't like the forum much :(

OT:

I actually feel better now that threads like this are being allowed to continue.

I was getting very frustrated when it seemed like any threads questioning the OP team were being closed/censored.

Let the people ask the questions and let them respond. Thank you.

OT:

I actually feel better now that threads like this are being allowed to continue.

I was getting very frustrated when it seemed like any threads questioning the OP team were being closed/censored.

Let the people ask the questions and let them respond. Thank you.
+1

Wow.. that was a long post ED! A good summary what happened last 1.5 years. Thanks for that.

I'm here to stay. Pandora will be an amazing device when it appears, it is still the only one that combines so much goodness in one package.
Being surrounded by some of the best devs on any platform, having superb hardware and your commitment to deliver quality, this really can't fail. So I think you can keep your car and all the other stuff.. and probably buy something new as well.

You might even be able to pay for a hairdresser :p

Thank goodness. For a second there I thought I'd somehow fallen asleep for a year.
see, it FEELS a lot longer than it's actually been - even for the dev team!

I'm not sure of the problem. Anyone not happy waiting can cancel their pre-orders. Done.

I'm fine to stick with the OP team for a bit longer
So you have your limit too.

I know at least four guys who would jump in and fight for your pre-order spot now!
No need for them to wait - they can order from the first batch now.

One of the thing that mildly perplexes me is the complaints about people complaining. Why complain that there's no need to complain? There's no need for it...

And isn't it just GREAT to hear ED's thought on things? The Ginglish can be a little strained at times, but mostly it tends to be good calm information :)

I can't say I agree with the idea that we "should know better" than to pay attention to the leader of the OpenPandora on the forum, I think perhaps the leader of the project should know better than to post too... enthusiastically. But that's my own POV :)

Ta

One of the thing that mildly perplexes me is the complaints about people complaining. Why complain that there's no need to complain? There's no need for it...
Because it's annoying. When i read the forums I want to read about new projects and interesting questions about important stuff not a bunch of people asking the same questions or complaining about delays. Its simple....you know what you signed up for if you feel like you can't wait cancel. The time it takes to constantly answer questions on the forum can be used to make progress. Not to mention the fact that these guys have normal lives like everybody else...I think people should be more grateful that's all

Because it's annoying.
Personally, ditto. I'd like to read info about the projects. Other people's complaints don't, in many ways, further that much (though sometimes it does as it results in more details getting posted). Complaints about the complaints waters down the info density even further with, IMHO, even less reason/excuse/justification.

Its simple....you know what you signed up for if you feel like you can't wait cancel.
I'm sure that anyone who can't wait doesn't post here and then wait. Anyone who can't wait would cancel. So tha tpoint seems moot to me. I can't see anyone being swayed by this argument. I certainly hope they arne't... (see below).

The time it takes to constantly answer questions on the forum can be used to make progress.
Not so, apparently. The time used to post here, like the time used to develop iPhone games or (insert activity here) is time spent whilst no develoipment effort could occur. Like waiting for a response from the case company in China.

Not to mention the fact that these guys have normal lives like everybody else...I think people should be more grateful that's all
I think that's probably a small part of what's behind a lot of the complaints actually, but the other way around. I keep reading that customers are investors and should do this or do that, and mostly put up and shut up, but IIRC investors are often a real PITA to companies because companies are beholden to investors - and accountable to them. I don't think it's even half of the issue, maybe not even a quater, but I get a real impression that some SMALL part of complaints is about the idea tha tOpenPandora should have a little more respsect for the people who've invested in the order of a million dollars with them.

Of course, it works both ways and I've seen posts in either direction that have made me wince a bit at the attitude on display - but that it works both ways (all ways?) is my point. And telling people to take their million dollars back and just "go away" (paraphrased from what I HAVE read) is mostly not helpful - it's certainly not helpful to OpenPandora members whose houses are on the line and would really rather keep their customers.

Back