Banners for the Pandora Rebirth comp. (WIP thread)

Depending on what is ported, some may prefer to be able to choose between 800x480 and 640x480?

If it's a windowed application probably neither makes sense, so probably one should allow to resize it to whatever is reasonable (as long as it does not bypass the idea of a splash screen).
What would work for both cases would be to say that the image has to be 800x480, but also has to work equally well when scaled down to exactly 400x240. This way developers could choose between (at least) two sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about something simple like this?

Pandora Rebirth.png

@ Prometheus.

I didn't know there was another thread for this. For some reason Binky started the whole thing by posting splash screens here yesterday, and then today Binky started a new thread in General Talk.

A couple of contris:

Something festive

rebirthch.jpg

And something a bit more techy.

rebirth3.jpg

Can you believe I created all those extra letters from the original pandora logo type? Some letters are bit rough around the edges, but hey :)

I like quatercast splash (even if I dislike the idea of a slash alltogether)

I also don't like splash screens that appear for 1 - 2 seconds upfront that much, that's why I mentioned that it's also okay to put a small banner into the menu or in the credits section :)

(NOTE: This thread was split out from this news post, and then combined with a thread subsequently created by Binky in this section. Please bear this in mind when you encounter the point where this thread makes no sense. :p --Prometheus)
"Normality restored."

I also don't like splash screens that appear for 1 - 2 seconds upfront that much, [...]
A tip for everyone who wants to use a splash screen is to show it as the game quits and to make it skippable with any button.

ops thread moved just when I posted...

...post here too.

Hello everyone,

will give a try on this splash/banner too.

I also don't like splash screens that appear for 1 - 2 seconds upfront that much, that's why I mentioned that it's also okay to put a small banner into the menu or in the credits section :)
Does this imply that a developer could also design his/her own splash screen/banner/whatever?

Just a quick question, where can I find the pandora logo? as curves would be nice.

I remember they where at the site a long time ago, can´t find it now.

The rendered pandora model from the old days could help me out if it is available as a 3d model, obj or something.

The keyboard mat image too, as rebuilding this is time consuming.

Any hints?

@erico - The logo is on the wiki, if memory serves. That's where I got it from, anyway. :p

Does this imply that a developer could also design his/her own splash screen/banner/whatever?

I'd like to keep some standard, so it should mostly be the same (maybe take the best 2 or 3 designs we get from the boards here :) )

well... this is probably a stupid question, and I unfortunately have no programing skills, but why would entries even need banners or splash screens in the first place? It sounds like stuffing a bunch of un-skipable movie trailers at the beginning of a DVD/BR movie disc.. Wouldn't that just make more work to remove the banners/splash screens after the competition is over? I don't mean to offend, I just don't get what they are for in the first place..

Here are some tests of a work in progress attempt...

The idea is to make an image/illustration depicting a carbon frozen Pandora, aye just like Han Solo :) .

Seems to me it fits the theme "rebirth".

It will get better tomorrow as I spare more time into it I hope... ;)

Is it too out of the box?

side A.jpg

close.jpg

side B.jpg

Teehee, I'm having too much fun here :)

rebirth5.jpg

I think some of these images would work as a pandora desktop or for emailing to people too like an invite. They could even be uploaded to facebook/blogs etc. If you want to use them as an invite/promo maybe let us know what information should included, and what dimensions are preferred. Cheers.

Back