Bad News

lnx64 said:
Have a good day sir, you have tired me out. B)
Does not meanwhile in apple headquarters tires you more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, gonna interrupt this argument...

The fact is that GPH has never had a clear purpose for the caanoo.

If they intended the caanoo to compete with other handheld gaming systems and games, they should have had a couple more stand out games. In addition, their distribution system should have been much more robust then the broken windows only mess it was.

If they really wanted to be ultimate emulation platform, then they would have maintained hardware compatibility with the wiz, which already had a large library of emulators. Else, give the hardware a decent upgrade to excuse the lack of compatibility.

If they wanted to attract attention with sexy hardware, then they needed a nicer (evenly lit) screen, speakers not under my fingers, a more reliable thumb stick, built in wifi and an OS that was not horrible and instead very capable (problem free movies, music and web)

If they wanted to have a community friendly open source console, they could have gotten more involved in the community with events and the like. Make the devs feel like they mattered, like they were part of something special.

To grow a business, start with one thing, be successful at it and THEN expand from there.

GPH tried to do too much, and ended up with a poorer product and ecosystem because of it.

The iPod was an excellent music player before it was able to make calls and play games.

If the caanoo continues to be succesful, it's in spite of gph's efforts.

traylorpark said:
If they really wanted to be ultimate emulation platform, then they would have maintained hardware compatibility with the wiz, which already had a large library of emulators.
Remembering how the community developwers fucked up the gp2x-to-wiz compatibility, making wiz-to-caanoo compatibility from GPH side is absurd.

lnx64 said:
Whatever.

It may be worth just ignoring our Quasy. He does have a point - although you possibly aren't retarded, most Mac owners are. They have to be, to pay those prices for that hardware - but that's beside the point. Actually, it might well be the point. They do get to look cool in Starbucks coffee shops though, and they do get to wear turtle neck black sweaters so there are bonuses to owning a Mac, I suppose.

Quasist is just over-generalising; he doesn't mean that you are a retard (or "mactard"), just that most Mac users are.

Back on-topic for a moment: Why is anyone actually surprised by this bad news? GPH have done pretty much nothing and fulfilled absolutely zero of their promises in the past few years, and it's come as a shock that they're shutting down their hardware production?

What's more shocking is that they feel their software development side is more profitable than their hardware. Strange folks indeed.

D.

quasist said:
Remembering how the community developwers fucked up the gp2x-to-wiz compatibility, making wiz-to-caanoo compatibility from GPH side is absurd.
What do you mean? GP2X had ancient libraries forcing everyone to statically link, which in turn caused all binaries to have hardware hitting code in them. Hell there wasn't even SDL libraries in earlier GP2X firmwares. Making a binary that would run on both GP2X and Wiz is quite a challenge really.

Dunny said:
Back on-topic for a moment: Why is anyone actually surprised by this bad news? GPH have done pretty much nothing and fulfilled absolutely zero of their promises in the past few years, and it's come as a shock that they're shutting down their hardware production?
GPH have produced a super cool console (caanoo) and it's SDK, what all is finely enough.

If you remember last days of gp2x(befoar faildora began ever preorders for its losers), there was a topic 'gp2x is dead' with words 'gp2x stop production' which accumulated much more tears/rage that this one, but suddenly the preproduction wiz photos surfaced. The bad lizard was keep on feeding the lies and suddenly x-team : "we had that information on our hidden board for a month".

So there could be probably a new console in GPH womb that relatively soon will make you make bricks.

notaz said:
quasist said:
What do you mean? GP2X had ancient libraries forcing everyone to statically link, which in turn caused all binaries to have hardware hitting code in them. Hell there wasn't even SDL libraries in earlier GP2X firmwares. Making a binary that would run on both GP2X and Wiz is quite a challenge really.
I was late gp2x adopter, so the official SDK (on bloodshed) was making fine SDL applications that worked fine on Wiz after, only support for 8bit sound playback was dropped. I scored a place in Gp32spain WIZ coding contest while having no wiz that way.

Don't minimal libs(by Rlyeh) carry a offensive license
Code:
License

Free for non-commercial projects (it would be nice receiving a mail from you).  Other cases, ask me first.
GamePark Holdings is not allowed to use this library and/or use parts from it.
And isn't it that powers most of the finest gp2x emulators? o_O

Sorry, me is just regular SDL-powered application developer and suck at hardware/system part everytime, but, please, enlighten me why so hate GPH?

quasist said:
I was late gp2x adopter, so the official SDK (on bloodshed) was making fine SDL applications that worked fine on Wiz after, only support for 8bit sound playback was dropped. I scored a place in Gp32spain WIZ coding contest while having no wiz that way.
But you had to compile separate binaries, didn't you?

I'm not sure why Rlyeh's lib was popular, maybe it was just one of the first available (I used it in my early projects but dropped it later). I've no idea about that restrictive license either, it's even GPL incompatible and not very useful.

notaz said:
quasist said:
NO! The binary from gp2x could be run on WIZ!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49126-it-seems-that-all-gp2x-apps-are-compatible-with-wiz

Although in original Adamant Armor Affection I compiled WIZ release by adding SDL_Delay(30); //I know I suck at frame limiting

quasist said:
notaz said:
quasist said:
NO! The binary from gp2x could be run on WIZ!
http://www.gp32x.de...atible-with-wiz

Although in original Adamant Armor Affection I compiled WIZ release by adding SDL_Delay(30); //I know I suck at frame limiting

I had a gp2x when the mk2 came out and I was a bit naive with development at that time. But I thought the main reason static linking was encouraged was because of dodgey libraries in the firmware. Also the SDL lib that was shipped was a pure software lib, where as paeryn's lib added hw accel's blits. Which was a significant improvement over the software render.

Pickle said:
I had a gp2x when the mk2 came out and I was a bit naive with development at that time. But I thought the main reason static linking was encouraged was because of dodgey libraries in the firmware. Also the SDL lib that was shipped was a pure software lib, where as paeryn's lib added hw accel's blits. Which was a significant improvement over the software render.
So why not swap was to swap libs on nand instead of linking em hard? Nihilism ruined the ecosystem.

quasist said:
Pickle said:
So why not swap was to swap libs on nand instead of linking em hard? Nihilism ruined the ecosystem.

Maybe that should have happened, to be honest I wasnt in a position at the time to make a call on that. What really should have happened is that GPH should have been involved in the community and worked to improve the firmware. I think at that time they didnt even have a clue what we were about. Some of the employees didnt really show up until the wiz/caanoo were released. So as always to little to late.

Dunny said:
It may be worth just ignoring our Quasy. He does have a point - although you possibly aren't retarded, most Mac owners are. They have to be, to pay those prices for that hardware - but that's beside the point. Actually, it might well be the point. They do get to look cool in Starbucks coffee shops though, and they do get to wear turtle neck black sweaters so there are bonuses to owning a Mac, I suppose.

Quasist is just over-generalising; he doesn't mean that you are a retard (or "mactard"), just that most Mac users are.

Thanks Dunny, I wasn't happy with just one annoying troll in this thread.

quasist said:
So there could be probably a new console in GPH womb that relatively soon will make you make bricks.

If that's what you'd like to believe. No one was worried that GPH wasn't doing another handheld when they cancelled the GP2X (prematurely). This time we have actual representatives from GPH saying it, in addition to ED who has always intimately known the company's plans. ED knew about Wiz before anyone else here did too, even before the leaked photo (where do you think that came from anyway?).. so I think he's pretty reliable.

I'm sure Caanoo is well appreciated as an emulator device - I don't own one and can't comment - but this time around GPH made a concerted effort to make an actual commercial gaming platform. And in this regard they ostensibly failed, given the number of previewed games that actually came out. This should come as a surprise to nobody, when DS and PSP have been losing ground to phones as gaming platforms a platform featuring underpowered/recycled hardware by a very small-time Korean firm with limited connections to experienced game companies is not going to succeed. Even in Korea with a big grant from the Korean government.

I still think that the big failure was/is FunGP. If it was working, commercial/indie devs could sell their games'n apps and Caanoo could reach some (minor) "status"/name among handlhelds.

As I said before (i think), I don't Caanoo, just Wiz. And I bought it not because of emulation stuff, it was due to the linux OS and the royalty-free development. My cell phone is and will ever be a simple phone. I don't want a smart one: why I would care about a phone which batteries are always draining out because that big screen, background apps, superoverpower processor?

Anyway. I'm glad Caanoo will be there sometime before GPH would change/move into another portable. DS and PSP are out so long (minor versions out meanwhile), and Wiz so shortly cancelled...

Exophase said:
ED knew about Wiz before anyone else here did too, even before the leaked photo (where do you think that came from anyway?).. so I think he's pretty reliable.
The leaked photo was like from zottd blog.

Wasn't there a speculative post somewhere a few months ago that bad lizard wrote something about new super GPH console on irc?

quasist said:
Exophase said:
ED knew about Wiz before anyone else here did too, even before the leaked photo (where do you think that came from anyway?).. so I think he's pretty reliable.

Wasn't there a speculative post somewhere a few months ago that bad lizard wrote something about new super GPH console on irc?

bad lizard....that gave me chuckle. They were working on something new, it would have a been a faster platform i.e omap or snapdragon soc (or should i call it a snaplizard :p )

Exophase said:
Thanks Dunny, I wasn't happy with just one annoying troll in this thread.

I exist only to serve, sir, and I'm glad I made you happy. You'd have been upset if I did anything else.

D.

I wonder if the GamePark Holdings will be split to GamePark Holdings and GamePark Last Stand

quasist said:

Yes, and where do you think zodttd got it? You don't believe he had direct communication with GPH do you..?

quasist said:

If by "few months ago" you mean years ago, and by "speculative" you mean informed by GPH.. yes, ED has indicated in the past that GPH is working on something "revolutionary." After Caanoo was announced he clarified that this was not what he was talking about and a new handheld would be coming later. Obviously he's now saying that it has been scrapped.

Dunny said:
I exist only to serve, sir, and I'm glad I made you happy. You'd have been upset if I did anything else.

D.

No argument.. ;D

Back