Bad News

Rikku2000

Hey guys i have a bad news for all WIZ/Caanoo users

GPH is closed i talk with Simon from GPH.

why GPH is Close?
- Caanoo is to expensiv not much solds.
- Smartphones like Apple/Android com over the Markt,
thats reason no one buy the Caanoo.

for now there is no Offcial statement from GPH.

Rikku2000 said:

why GPH is Close?
- Caanoo is to expensiv not much solds.
- Smartphones like Apple/Android com over the Markt,
thats reason no one buy the Caanoo.

for now there is no Offcial statement from GPH.

it's sad :(
but not a really big surprise

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe!! It was something that could happen.
I hope they say some official information.
It's very sad. :(

The Caanoo's marketing is one of the worst I've ever seen. Beside the few addicts who promote this machine for what it is and for what it stands, hardly anyone in the world out there knows about this device.

To my opinion there were only two dedicated people in GPH. Tony Han, the overseas sale manager and Simon, who made stuff on the software side. As I only know Tony, I can assure that he did his very best to promote and support GPH, but this all doesn't help if people in other positions block you in what you do. He left a while ago anyway.

It was foreseeable that GPH will fail sooner or later. Releasing a device with almost no software on it is suicide from the very beginning. Releasing Firmware updates which break parts of the compatibility is a sin on it's own too. We also know the story with the GP32 where we had three versions at the end FLU, BLU and BLU+. Back to the Caanoo thing... There were people who got a Caanoo for free to develop on it, who didn't do a shit and others who would have deserved one, never got one. The decisions were overall very strange and they hardly had listen to advice from people who had plenty of experience or scene knowledge. Everyone who does not believe this can talk to other people such as EvilDragon, who has an excellent reputation in the scene.

Then there was this promised coding competition with big prizes, it actually never happened...

So many things have just gone wrong... it's a pity they are gone, but I suppose there is nothing we can do about it. Let's hope we will get another nice toy from another company, who are probably better in making fast and clever decisions.

yeah, and what's really bad is that the device itself is a good one, playing on it is much more convenient than my PSP

Ugh... That's really sad. It was a nice device too. I guess this leaves the dingoo as the only readily available open source handheld?

Shame. GPh products were getting better all the time, Caanoo is what the GP2X should've been.
Ah well, even with no more activity the device has been worth the investment for me.

If only Pandora was a viable option...

...hmm, Android or iOS?

And about the games on FunGP the download manager is Crap dont really
working for most user no linux version for linux users and no new games
there are so many on FunGP.co.kr thats not released on FunGP.com okey as
customer we have free games like Paperwars, Quake and the emulators.

Reminds me of SEGA, releasing the Dreamcast to have a great last console and then going hardwareless. If this is real it is too bad. I hope the console doesn't get forgotten by the homebrew devs. Long live Caanoo.
GPH should have put more care into the Caanoo because the device is worth it. Maybe they don't have money.

Rikku2000 said:

Oh, no, that's bad.

I hope they would release all the schematics to the public, but probably they would not... :(

regards
Cyprian

Thats pretty bad news. so there's only the pandora left - i dont count in the dingoo because it doesnt have a SoC with 3D capabilities. good for OpenPandora i guess :)

Sad situation :( It was a really admirable endevour.

Now it's time for everyone to collect a lot of money and buy the rights for the Caanoo so that we can keep producing it! ;)

Sad, but predictable. GPH made too many mistakes. You can´t expect to sell tens of thousands devices without any marketing. Noone of my friends had ever heard of the Caanoo, before they saw mine.

crow_riot said:
Thats pretty bad news. so there's only the pandora left - i dont count in the dingoo because it doesnt have a SoC with 3D capabilities. good for OpenPandora i guess :)
Not like any of the Caanoo homebrew ever utilized the gpu chip (except maybe 2 cases) ;)

WHAT!? they want to close? :blink: :blink:
well, i don't think that is reaL; :blink:
is impossible, the emulation on android isn't confort as on the CAANOO, <_<
and so.... if GPH close. will the pandora survive? eh eh eh, no :angry:
edit:
so, GPH can stay in business only with a possibility: TO MAKE A CONSOLE ( or the caanoo) WITH THE ANDROID OS!
is the only way to save their company.. in this era, the linux powered console can't live with aggressive android mobiles.
i love GPH and i think the CAANOO is their best handheld.

This news is quite old, but what Ive heard is that the hardware side of gph would be gone, but gph would still carry on as a software company. I guess this would be distributing software through fungp. Unless theres a decent amount of support locally in Korea, cant see that lasting long either.

No pickle i talk yesterday with Simon its true.

my chatlog:
rikkuff2000: so can you tell me is GPH dead?
Simon: Absolutely yes
rikkuff2000: can you tell my why?
Simon: Because its not sold.
rikkuff2000: oh but gph dont give an stadmant
Simon: Anyway the team was retired all.
rikkuff2000: so no support anymore from gph
Simon: people dont want buy caanoo because of smartphone

@kayuz - pandora have nothing todo with GPH or FunGP, Pandora is EvilDragons project
and ED dont wotk with GPH he have an own Company :p

Sorry but that chat is very vague and "team" could be any number of people. Im not saying it isnt possible there just isnt enough known facts to determine who and what was let go. I suspect most of the hw development was fired, but there may still be some to maintain software side of things.

:p sorry, my bad but i really thinging the the Dev on GPH will gone down
becouse no one buy games on fungp see the korean and international page
Korean have more games and dont tell me it need so long time to translate
the game... See Azura Cross i have the Korean version on my Caanoo becouse
no english version availibil...

Back