Audio Player Application

mcobit

Advanced Member
http://katastrophos.net/andre/blog/software/quasar-media-player/

This seems to be a really good Audioapp. It is developed with a small screensize in mind and there are already ports for arm etc.
Maybe something to look into to include in the nand image.

Ed mentioned Exaile - which I really like. It supports Ipod syncing too - might not seem important to anyone else, but I bought a first-gen Ipod Shuffle as a companion device for the Pandora.

i don't like programs like Exaile, because they doesn't seem to work nice on little screens, it can be very hard to mark a line , when it is only a mm high or something.
The screens on the official site seem to be sqeezed already but the resolution is over 1000 x 700px

mcobit said:
i don't like programs like Exaile, because they doesn't seem to work nice on little screens, it can be very hard to mark a line , when it is only a mm high or something.
The screens on the official site seem to be sqeezed already but the resolution is over 1000 x 700px

I've made a habit of running all my Linux apps at Pandora resolution just to see what they're like. As I recall, Exaile is fine once you remove some of the screen furniture.

exaile_maemo_20070801.png

Hmm. This is on Meamo, but with massive fonts and tonnes of visual clutter. Bear in mind that the file browser on the left hand side is collapsible.

exaile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That Quasar one looks nice. I hope that one is available at some point. Seems to be right in the middle graphically between the other options posted here.

mcobit said:
http://katastrophos.net/andre/blog/software/quasar-media-player/

This seems to be a really good Audioapp. It is developed with a small screensize in mind and there are already ports for arm etc.
Maybe something to look into to include in the nand image.
I like that it can do this.. "It adds several unique features that give it unprecedented flexibility on a mobile device, like auto-generated playlists from a set of locations (e.g. adds files from the internal Music directory + from a Media directory on an inserted SD card).."
That is a must needed feature IMO due to the swapping of SD cards on the Pandora.

It's also just a frontend for Mplayer. This would mean that any progress of getting Mplayer to use the DSP in Pandora, would improve this program too and could save a lot of hassles :)

EDIT: It's also got keyboard and joystick controls included.

ashdjones said:
Ed mentioned Exaile - which I really like. It supports Ipod syncing too - might not seem important to anyone else, but I bought a first-gen Ipod Shuffle as a companion device for the Pandora.
Tried this a couple of days ago and was quite impressed with it. The inclusion of online radio stations from Shoutcast is nice and the fact that it's written in Python should make it easy to expand and modify.

Quasar looks nice, looks very much like Musikcube, which is pretty decent for a large library of music. It looks like Quasar needs Qt libs though, I'm not sure if you would want to load the Qt libs for what's primarily by default a GTK based desktop on the Pandora, with only 256mb RAM.

It's a shame that foobar2000 isn't open source, it would be great on Pandora.

Elanzer said:
Quasar looks nice, looks very much like Musikcube, which is pretty decent for a large library of music. It looks like Quasar needs Qt libs though, I'm not sure if you would want to load the Qt libs for what's primarily by default a GTK based desktop on the Pandora, with only 256mb RAM.

It's a shame that foobar2000 isn't open source, it would be great on Pandora.
Foobar2000 is quite possibly the only "Windows only" application that I truly miss.

Foobar2000 works well for me under Wine (On a x86 PC of course). Audio output though Pulseaudio is fine too.
I started using in under wine just for tagging and now I am even beginning to use it as my normal audio player.

Also a linux music player I quite like is Gmusicbrowser. Amarok and songbird are also good though.

marshal said:
Foobar2000 works well for me under Wine (On a x86 PC of course). Audio output though Pulseaudio is fine too.
I started using in under wine just for tagging and now I am even beginning to use it as my normal audio player.

Also a linux music player I quite like is Gmusicbrowser. Amarok and songbird are also good though.
The point of Foobar200 is to be as resource light as possible, running it in Wine is counter-productive. I've settled on Banshee as my music player of choice under Linux, for no other reason than I'm running Gnome (or I'd be using Amarok) and Banshee supports global hotkeys, which many other media players do not.

I always liked ShowShifter for Windows, especially its music jukebox.

I might try and make something similar to it for Pandora (along with all the other things I 'might' do for Pandora :p). I could get access to the Showshifter's source code but it was so reliant on Windows/DirectX that it would be easier to start from scratch.

Back