Audio Player Application

Does anyone know what recording software will be ported? Could there be a port of Audacity or is it out of the question?

shunun said:
Does anyone know what recording software will be ported? Could there be a port of Audacity or is it out of the question?

Audacity probably doesn't even need a port, just to be compiled/packaged up for ARM

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be using mpd. I'll have to see if there's a gui suitable to the Pandora. Otherwise it would be cool to extend it into one of the launchers.

Lunatic said:
I will be using mpd. I'll have to see if there's a gui suitable to the Pandora. Otherwise it would be cool to extend it into one of the launchers.

There is a nice version of Sonata for the n8x0 that works great at that screen size
granted I only played with mpd for a little while but sonata worked nicely.

linky

PhonicUK said:
Audacious is very cool. It's basically an up-to-date GTK2 fork of XMMS. Lots of great plugins :)

+1

I was really disappointed when XMMS fell out of Gentoo but Audacious is now more mature and works fine. It would be fun to get Audacious on Pandora with that Dancing Invader Zim plugin...

shunun said:

torpor is porting a whole bunch of audio recording and editing apps. Can't remember if Audacity is on the list but my guess is yes.

borgqueenx said:
i want the audio player craigix used in early video's. what is it called, and what skin was it he used?

That was XMMS. Not sure why they used it as the XMMS project has been dead for years. Audacious is the current spiritual successor to it.

I really would like an audio player that comes with a "normal", directory-based ("folder"-based in that new-fangled lingo them kids use these tharr days) playback option. I find that tag-based playback more often than not royally forks up albums and, being an old fart who thinks good music died on jan 1 1980, having my Floyd and Yes stuff complete and in the right order kinda matters to me.

So there...

Karel Jansens said:
I really would like an audio player that comes with a "normal", directory-based ("folder"-based in that new-fangled lingo them kids use these tharr days) playback option. I find that tag-based playback more often than not royally forks up albums and, being an old fart who thinks good music died on jan 1 1980, having my Floyd and Yes stuff complete and in the right order kinda matters to me.

I can relate. I have a few "compilation" albums that some players like to split up with separate entries for each artist. Yuck. Not to mention lots of (legal!) concert recordings.

Since it came under discussion here, I've been playing with Exaile. It does, in fact, have a tab for file-system-based collection browsing. It seems a pretty reasonable little player. Not too many bells and whistles cluttering up the main page. Plays flacs. Copes with album cover art. Does playlists (which I don't often care for, but are nice for queuing up a bunch of stuff for a party) in a somewhat intuitive fashion. And a plugin system if you want other stuff.

A custom GUI for the Pandora would be a nice touch.

Enverex said:
borgqueenx said:
i want the audio player craigix used in early video's. what is it called, and what skin was it he used?

That was XMMS. Not sure why they used it as the XMMS project has been dead for years. Audacious is the current spiritual successor to it.
ah, it also looks nice, and desame.

Im gonna use that application then, plus the app thats being tweaked as much as possible, to run when im sleeping. (the app thats not power hungry)

mindlord said:
Elanzer said:
Quasar looks nice, looks very much like Musikcube, which is pretty decent for a large library of music. It looks like Quasar needs Qt libs though, I'm not sure if you would want to load the Qt libs for what's primarily by default a GTK based desktop on the Pandora, with only 256mb RAM.

It's a shame that foobar2000 isn't open source, it would be great on Pandora.
Foobar2000 is quite possibly the only "Windows only" application that I truly miss.
My roommate keeps telling me that iTunes is "not that bad".
He tells me this right before he spends a whole day trying to get iTunes to boot because it has a random permissions problem. Now he has to run it as administrator and click "allow this to run" every time.
I just use foobar.

rabidpoobear said:
He tells me this right before he spends a whole day trying to get iTunes to boot because it has a random permissions problem. Now he has to run it as administrator and click "allow this to run" every time.
I just use foobar.
iTunes is "not that bad", but only on os X and without any permissions problem xD
I like songbird as an alternative.

KodeIn said:
rabidpoobear said:
I just use foobar.
iTunes is "not that bad", but only on os X and without any permissions problem xD
I like songbird as an alternative.
Last I tried songbird (years ago) it had massive memory leaks and lots of other problems/slowdowns. Is it better now?

rabidpoobear said:
mindlord said:
Elanzer said:
Quasar looks nice, looks very much like Musikcube, which is pretty decent for a large library of music. It looks like Quasar needs Qt libs though, I'm not sure if you would want to load the Qt libs for what's primarily by default a GTK based desktop on the Pandora, with only 256mb RAM.

It's a shame that foobar2000 isn't open source, it would be great on Pandora.
Foobar2000 is quite possibly the only "Windows only" application that I truly miss.
I just use foobar.

Same, just foobar, with deliciuos components

Back