Attn. ED - Official website

There's obviously a comma missing.

"No restriction, but freedom!"

as in

"Not one, but TWO!"

or

"No tigers, but bears!"

It's a little odd but I blame that on the language barrier, ED thinks in German and it probably made perfect sense there, but less so in English.

Should probably read more like "No restrictions, just freedom"

There's obviously a comma missing.

"No restriction, but freedom!"

as in

"Not one, but TWO!"

or

"No tigers, but bears!"

It's a little odd but I blame that on the language barrier, ED thinks in German and it probably made perfect sense there, but less so in English.

Should probably read more like "No restrictions, just freedom"
It's the same in German. ^^

"Keine Beschränkungen, aber Freiheit"

"Nicht einer, sondern zwei"

"Keine Tiger, aber Bären"

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not see the forest for the trees?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/but#Conjunction

Read the wiki text again knowing it was intentionally so.

Handheld game console miniature computer.
Open, use it however you like.

No restrictions but freedom. Enjoy,
make and publish software, free of charge.

Sartre quote:

He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being.

Je suis condamné à être libre.

• I am condemned to be free.

Freedom is not an end goal, it is a means to get there. Almost as useless to its own value as the struggle to achieve it. Not non-free is not the same as free. It is what you do about it that is essential.

Like open source, doesnt necessarily mean you get anything with it, which in turn does not make FOSS redundant. Again, see above.

Edit: Changed the last part to " at no implict cost."  to avoid connotation to flat battery and make clear the non-requirement of not charging for apps. It will use your time however :)

Basically telling that you can chose not to have to pay, for both publishing and using.

Edit: maybe it could be free of inverse implied cost somehow, but that may be too next level.

Read the wiki text again knowing it was intentionally so. Handheld game console miniature computer. Open, use it however you like. No restrictions but freedom. Enjoy, make and publish software, free of charge.
It sounds really stupid.

Your goal is to communicate to an international audience what the pandora actually is. You have failed.

I guess the non English speaking world has trouble with it. Open to suggestions, edit away.

Looking weird isn't losing anything in translation, other than the finer points. There is only so much one can do given the limitations. It was a block of text, this tells the same story, and more, in very few words. I don,t know how to do better. And it has changed, you quoted the old version.

Anyways, back to the topic.

Legal info, why is this not in the whois? Is it some kind of German law thing?

The rss icon, "tipps and tricks"  i dont even.

Ok, here is my take on a new frontpage, featuring some of my suggested fixes and alterations. Its based on the current wiki frontpage by sswam. FZERO did the icons. Make sure to thank them.

Also there is a mobile version available. It autocollapses the sections. Change between the two at the bottom.

I'm interested to know is if those section icons are malplaced for you in mobile mode.

It works on my machine™ 1920x1200 and on 1920x1080, but it doesnt magnify well in firefox. I think its just due to the different sizes of the icons, or at least i hope it is. Hit the feedback at the bottom of the page.

SO we are back to a super crowded wiki page huh ?

The columns look very uneven just because you added all the emulators under the software one...

Frankly you guys need to know what you want. Minimalism of completeness. You seem to go back and forth. It's inconsistent.

here is my take on a new frontpage
The columns are nice IMO, but the top bit is horrible. It looks as though someone threw everything onto a page in a heap.

I don't particularly like the logos based on the pandora logo either - they're hard to read and fail at the task of representing different pandora-related websites.

I'd prefer something along these lines:

screenshot4.png

^ although I don't really like the way all those blue boxes look - the current column headers are probably better.

The mobile view page is as minimal as functionality permits. The software category is going to be reduced significantly. Just about every repo entry is on the chopping block. Colour codes for grouping is not yet implemented.

Having something that works means it is supported in mediawiki, not buggy, maintainable code and little markup, makes good use of space, has good SEO, is good in any browser, works for blind people, and within our ability; this is it for the time being.

Come to think of it, someone did throw them together in a heap, it was me :) Its important to have something that visually separates each category, which is where the blue tile-set comes up a bit short. Dont really know what to do about them, other than they need to be there for the mobile view.

In desktop modes all those are replicated by the side-menu, so its a bit daft to list them again. Problem is it they often get overlooked there because people are used to that menu having nothing useful in it. Sidemenu in mobile mode isnt implemented yet, but thats not a showstopper. If all the bugs get ironed out i would like to see mobile mode as per default on the wiki.

Having the wiki double as frontpage would also be nice. Even if we funnel a lot of effort into building a good website now, its just bound to be outdated sometime in the future. Wiki is secondary in many aspects, but its great in terms of distributing power. ED doesn't scale that well. He is less people and has other things to do than oversee/implement changes.

I dont really believe in minimal, it usually means lackluster form instead of function. Utilitarian is what works.

The OP frontpage has some features still not implemented on the wiki, but per every n+10 number of things thats wrong with the first, there is only n missing on the latter.

Back