Atari ST Emulation

sareks

Casual gamer
Hi, which emulators besides Hatari exist for Atari ST Emulation and how do I get them to run?

When I start the pnd, it goes right back to mini menu. Thanks

Hatari is the most up to date (& only AFAIK) one:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hatari.skeezix.pkg

It runs very well, like some emulators it requires a BIOS file (in the Atari ST's case, this is called the TOS file). For typical Atari ST 512/1040 useage that would usually be TOS 102, which has to be sourced separately and placed in the correct location for it to work, perhaps your pnd isn't working because of this?

Hatari is the most up to date (& only AFAIK) one:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hatari.skeezix.pkg

It runs very well, like some emulators it requires a BIOS file (in the Atari ST's case, this is called the TOS file). For typical Atari ST 512/1040 useage that would usually be TOS 102, which has to be sourced separately and placed in the correct location for it to work, perhaps your pnd isn't working because of this?
Thanks for the hint, makes sense. I already got the tos102 file, but the question is, do I have to rename it to simply tos.rom and/or what is the exact location for the placement of this file? Thanks again

I do believe that this is mentioned in the documentation (that is, in the readme file that comes with the PND and that you can read under "Documentation" in the main menu). If not, I think it is also mentioned in the emulator factsheets that you got a link to the other day. I don't know off the top of my head, but that ought to help you find it :)

I do believe that this is mentioned in the documentation (that is, in the readme file that comes with the PND and that you can read under "Documentation" in the main menu). If not, I think it is also mentioned in the emulator factsheets that you got a link to the other day. I don't know off the top of my head, but that ought to help you find it :)
Sorry, no readme file included nor any information on the emulator factsheet, what now?

Last edited by a moderator:
What?  I now went to look at my actual pandora, and there are three entries in the Documentation menu that are titled "Hatari Manual". The very first page of that manual will tell you what to do.

What?  I now went to look at my actual pandora, and there are three entries in the Documentation menu that are titled "Hatari Manual". The very first page of that manual will tell you what to do.
When starting the emulator it keeps telling me "Place tos.img in /pandora/appdata/hatari.skeezix",

this is exactly what I did but why won't it still work, then?!

I hope you put it in the pandora folder on the filesystem where your installation of Hatari was - i.e. /media/[sd]/pandora/appdata/hatari.skeezix. I guess the error message could be slightly clearer about that.

Personally I'm not a great fan of Pandora's docs system, and the fact we have two or three entries for Hatari pointing to the same file helps show why (in practice, I think it's because there are three launch scripts for Hatari). And then there's all the docs just called 'README' - one of which is for the SD installer which comes with the firmware these days, but the rest of them just seem to grow over time. Add to that the fact the Docs folder is kind of out of the way - I don't think I've ever read it before trying out a pnd, and if it's never crashed on me, I'll probably never check it.

I already got the tos102 file, but the question is, do I have to rename it to simply tos.rom and/or what is the exact location for the placement of this file?
When starting the emulator it keeps telling me "Place tos.img in /pandora/appdata/hatari.skeezix",

The Tos file (Tos 102 normally) should be named Tos.img (I don't know if it's case sensitive, but that's exactly what I renamed mine and it works).

Note: .img not .rom

/pandora/appdata/hatari.skeezix (Just directly into Hatari's appdata folder) is the right place.

tos.img

also with Hatari and Handy.

Last edited:
I did build my OutcaST emu at some point, but Hatari clearly trounces it so I've not really done anything with it. Long ago I decided to stop my own ST emu work and just port Hatari, they kicked my ass soundly :)

I've likely got a build around somewhere if anyone wants it, for old times sake.

STonX is also buildable, but again.. Hatari crushes it.

jeff

I already got the tos102 file, but the question is, do I have to rename it to simply tos.rom and/or what is the exact location for the placement of this file?

The Tos file (Tos 102 normally) should be named Tos.img (I don't know if it's case sensitive, but that's exactly what I renamed mine and it works).

Note: .img not .rom

/pandora/appdata/hatari.skeezix (Just directly into Hatari's appdata folder) is the right place.
Yes, I did what you guys told me, but still the same error message. I am confused now, why won't it work ?!

When you look inside the hatari.skeezix folder, do you see your tos file there? What is it called, including extension, and what size is it (should be ~192kB) ?

If the Tos file has been renamed tos.img and placed directly in the hatari.skeezix folder (not in a folder inside that), it should work. If it doesn't, there could be a number of reasons, first to try might be:

Was your TOS image a zipfile, and did you unzip it first, and not just rename it without first unzipping?

Is it a valid Tos file? Try getting another copy from a different source, still go for Tos 102 for general use.

I did build my OutcaST emu at some point, but Hatari clearly trounces it so I've not really done anything with it. Long ago I decided to stop my own ST emu work and just port Hatari, they kicked my ass soundly :)

I've likely got a build around somewhere if anyone wants it, for old times sake.
I always liked OutcaST. I was/am not very anal about emulation details like DaveC. 

The savestate handling of Hatari always bothered me. OutcaST has a very efficient savestate handling and I would certainly use it with Pandafe if it can be started from command line. 

One other very cool feature was automatic recognition of disks (e.g. Automation Menu Disks). Don't think I ever saw that in another emulator. 

So indeed.. if it is not too much trouble, I would love to see an OutcaST build for Pandora :)

A big thanks again to all helpers, I finally got to start Hatari trying out my first game

"Batman the movie", now since I'm new to this emulation scene, a few questions to the advanced users:

1) Is there a full screen stretch option for Hatari? If so, how do I activate it?

2) How about save / load states? Any experiences

Thanks again to all helpers, you made my day :)

Can you tell us what the problem was?  Even if it's something you misread or misunderstood, if we know what it was it might help us help people in a similar situation in the future.

1) Is there a full screen stretch option for Hatari? If so, how do I activate it?
1) I'm pretty sure that's a no - like a lot of the systems around then, that's the way they actually displayed on a TV/monitor, with a border. Some software used a few tricks to display stuff in the border area sometimes.

Can you tell us what the problem was?  Even if it's something you misread or misunderstood, if we know what it was it might help us help people in a similar situation in the future.
Yes, it probably was the wrong tos.img file that I used, since there are so many I didn't know which the correct one was. But thanks to some experienced people here and a personal hint

I managed to get it to run.

I'm pretty sure I did add full screen scaling to Hatari (or was it just pixel-doubling with select options..), but I don't recall offhand. Hatari can show borders or not. It shoudl be 'most of Pandora screen' if not all, when in full screen mode :) (not windowed)

jeffphone

Back