Release Arx Libertatis - Arx Fatalis port

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Arx Libertatis, the opensource port of Arx Fatalis.

preview5.png
You'll need the data file of the orginial Arx Fatalis for this game. Also, you should update to latest version (1.21).

If don't have the fullgame, you can try the Demo, in a PND Ready2Play, here.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JjLW2bgNzz8?feature=oembed
Here is a video of the beta by Ingoreis​
 ​
Performances are ok (but don't forget minimal spec for Arx Fatalis is PC at 500MHz with 64Mo 3D Card, so it's pretty high for the Pandora). On CC model, if you find it too sluggish, you can change the "Fog distance" from 10 (by default) to 0 or 1. That will reduce your viewing distance, but greatly improve framerate.

If you have on Gigahertz, you can try Antialiasing.

History log

========

Build 02

-----------

• Compatible with latest SGX Video Drivers
  • moved the left_nub and right_nub files from appdata/arxlibertatis/home to appdata/arxlibertatis
  • Mouse buttons on Shoulder buttons (deactivable by putting a file named .noshouldermb inside appdata/arxlibertatis)
Build 01

-----------

• First release
  • Some key customisation (mouse buttons on Shoulder buttons)

For those interested, the sources of the port can be found here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/ArxLibertatis

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Someone actually made an alternate engine for this?

Well, it's an OK game...

I best remember it from hitting two neat bugs when I played this (the PC version) some years ago (soon after release).

First bug was because of entering an area where I should not have been too early. There was some room that had a "hidden" passage to some caverns, I can't remember the details, but I think the room was part of an area where some lizardlike or levitating or whatever creatures lived. There was a representative of the female race (?) you needed to talk to to advance the plot. Every time I entered the (store?)room from the cavern (had to explore a lot and climb a lot to find it) I got killed right away by somone. Then I used an invisibility spell and when I entered the main cavern of those creatures I realized I had actually "jumped" way, way ahead in the game plot. They started talking of things I had done that I definitely had not done yet. So essentially a "too free exploration" bug. After that I, of course, saved right away to get some laughs and indeed the whole remaining game was a total mess. But I remember that this little aversion actually caused me to play the game a lot more than I would have otherweise, nice "bonus content" ;) . In the end I had to revert to an older save, because the game apparently became uncompleteable.

Being a plot/explorationbug, I suspect you could do that again with this engine too!!!

Second bug was a lucky one in the end fight with this wizard hovering all over the place. Not being of the "arena FPS" type I got bored with this stage in 5 minutes and did not complete the game for some weeks because of it (did not feel like playing at all anymore). When a game turns purely to action into the bin it goes. But luckily on my next try there was a bug again: the wizard model got stuck in some rocks and was unable to move, so I hit him with the sword some 15 minutes while listening to the "damn you"-comments and then I got the fancy ending animation. Full health too :p . Probably in this engine that won't happen. So not having "mad leet skilz" in one-on-one fights I would need to level up to the max before entering the final fight. A bore...

I personally think this game is no match for the original Ultima Underworld which the creators advertised as an acestor... but definitely OK.

Might even try this out, thanks :) .

Ultima IX next please :p .

Seems like, i have to search this Video Game Magazine CD where the Game is ..

And i hope i have enought Space on my SD Card..

Or i use the SD Card i have for Android, as i ditnt use Android anymore..

This DS, PSX Games, RTCW and the Star Wars Jedi Knight Games do need allott of Space..

Works great!, the files off the Steam install work fine. 

Cant find my Video Game Magazine CD , only a CD whit the Demo..

Maybe i have to search the Game via Amazon Marketplace..
Demo works too. You can at least try and see by yourself if it works well enough for you.

Wow... Someone actually made an alternate engine for this?

Well, it's an OK game...

I best remember it from hitting two neat bugs when I played this (the PC version) some years ago (soon after release).

First bug was because of entering an area where I should not have been too early. There was some room that had a "hidden" passage to some caverns, I can't remember the details, but I think the room was part of an area where some lizardlike or levitating or whatever creatures lived. There was a representative of the female race (?) you needed to talk to to advance the plot. Every time I entered the (store?)room from the cavern (had to explore a lot and climb a lot to find it) I got killed right away by somone. Then I used an invisibility spell and when I entered the main cavern of those creatures I realized I had actually "jumped" way, way ahead in the game plot. They started talking of things I had done that I definitely had not done yet. So essentially a "too free exploration" bug. After that I, of course, saved right away to get some laughs and indeed the whole remaining game was a total mess. But I remember that this little aversion actually caused me to play the game a lot more than I would have otherweise, nice "bonus content" ;) . In the end I had to revert to an older save, because the game apparently became uncompleteable.

Being a plot/explorationbug, I suspect you could do that again with this engine too!!!

Second bug was a lucky one in the end fight with this wizard hovering all over the place. Not being of the "arena FPS" type I got bored with this stage in 5 minutes and did not complete the game for some weeks because of it (did not feel like playing at all anymore). When a game turns purely to action into the bin it goes. But luckily on my next try there was a bug again: the wizard model got stuck in some rocks and was unable to move, so I hit him with the sword some 15 minutes while listening to the "damn you"-comments and then I got the fancy ending animation. Full health too :p . Probably in this engine that won't happen. So not having "mad leet skilz" in one-on-one fights I would need to level up to the max before entering the final fight. A bore...

I personally think this game is no match for the original Ultima Underworld which the creators advertised as an acestor... but definitely OK.

Might even try this out, thanks :) .

Ultima IX next please :p .
Can't say if thoses bugs are corrected. Data files have evolve since publishing (v1.0 -> v1.21) so 1st bug may be fixed (no idea) and 2nd is probably fixed yes.

PS: Ultima IX, there is sources for it?

I found the fullversion jet on Amazon for 14 € so this isnt a big problem..

Also orderd today the new 3ds Zelda, and the Braverly Default Flying Ferry Game for 3ds..

I think, the Arx Fatalis port will be a bit improft until i have my game..

PS: Ultima IX, there is sources for it?
Nah, no way... I just threw that in the air because I somehow associate it with Arx.

There were some U9 remake attempts but they did not get anywhere and anyway they used engines from the likes of Neverwinter nights and Morrowind... (Edit: Read up, the latest attempt seems to be on hold indefinitely now too.). As a long time Ultima fan I also hate to admit it but: the game was good because of the bugs and finding ways to screw the game up. As a game it was no big deal even when released :( .

Big problem when considering any possible future emulation is also: It's all but fully a Glide game :( .

I know I'll curse myself one day for selling my 3dfx card simply because at one time I thought "The only 3dfx thing I really got and like is Ultima 9 and that kind of runs on DirectX too". Heck, yeah, "kind of": a measley 30 minutes at a time (bad memory leaks in the engine and totally optimized for Voodoo in any case).

When U9 came out I actually got a 3dfx card specifically to play it and then sold it on when I got the chance to get rid of it for practically the price I paid :angry: stupid stupid stupid... Thank goodness I never gave up on my Roland LAPC-1 and SB AWE 64... Though MT32 emulation is now really starting to "be there", for games I could give it up now... but for MPU401 and self made patches it stays till it dies :wub: .

Not whit my lame Internetz..
And i have the original Case of the game when i bye its pfysikaly..
Btw: is there a big problem to install this Game on my Windows 7 Notebook? ?
Only needs to install and patch as its will run on the Pandora. .
Quake 3 and Duke Nukem 3D are also running on my Notebook. .

Not whit my lame Internetz.. And i have the original Case of the game when i bye its pfysikaly.. Btw: is there a big problem to install this Game on my Windows 7 Notebook? ? Only needs to install and patch as its will run on the Pandora. . Quake 3 and Duke Nukem 3D are also running on my Notebook. .
No issue to install and update on W7.

This is awesome. Can't wait to get home and try this. Thanks a lot for the port!

hadn't the time to play it but I was able to test it and it works, many thanks, it's a great release...

Back