Release UFO:Alien Invasion

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is a port of UFO: Alien Invasion

preview1.png
 ​
This is a squad-based tactical strategy games in the spirit of the X-Com. It is built on top of a heavily modified iD Tech 2 engine,

/!\ This software is very memory hungry. You will need a Swapfile for it to run (especialy during tactical phase) /!\

This games is localized in many languages (I used French on my screenshots).

I mapped Right shoulder to Left clic and Left shoulder to Right clic.

Nubs are configurable, but the default mode is the one currently active.

After the first launch of the game, the "left_nub" and "right_nub" are created in appdata/ufoai/home

You can change their content to change Nub behavour. Remember:

mbuttons => mouse buttons

mouse => mouse movement

absolute => joystick

History log

=========

Build 06

-----------

• Fixed black screen on first start
  • Switched default to minimum details
Build 05

-----------

• Used latest 2.6-dev sources
  • Switched to glshim rendering
Build 04

-----------

• Bigger "smaller" fonts.

Build 03
----------

• Updated PND again to remove the call of script, the PND now runs.

Build 02
----------

• Updated PND with a missing lib.

Build 01

-----------

• Initial build
  • Configurable nubs (default behavous is curent state)
  • Mapped Shoulder button as mouse buttons
  • Full GLES1 renderer (so no Shader, meaning no Bloom and a few other things).

For those interested, you can find the sources here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/UFO--AI-OpenPandora

Last edited by a moderator:
3 games in one day?  Wow man, single handedly giving the Pandora so many options for gaming.

ptitSeb, your PNDs are material for great showcases.

We need a new OpenPandora showcase video with these beautiful 3D PC-ports.

I would (really) need ages for this, anyone here that can do something like this in a wink?

Ok, it seems that both build 01 & build 02 doesn't want to run. In fact, it seems that, because my runscript.sh is a bash script, and the ufo is a sh script, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so on doesn't pass correctly... So I wont use the "ufo" script and call the executable directly from the run script (it's just a cd & run command)...

I'll do a build 03 and upload... But that will take time to upload !

ptitSeb, your PNDs are material for great showcases.

We need a new OpenPandora showcase video with these beautiful 3D PC-ports.

I would (really) need ages for this, anyone here that can do something like this in a wink?
You should look at the video Ingoreis have just done for World of Padman. Great showcase indeed!

Well like I said in the repo...this game would not run for me.  :(

Last edited:
So, I have a build 03 ready. But it will take time to upload (and I will upload it only tomorrow, can't launch that now).

But in the mean time, I give you an Update PND, that will update a Build 02 to Build 03, fixing (at last) the launching problem: ufoai_update.pnd

Just download and launch the update pnd, and it will find the ufoai PND and update it (there are a few zenity dialog in the process).

The PND to update is very big, so this process take some time (something like 30sec just at the star, and than several minutes to process the pnd), and you'll need 1Go of free space on the SDCard also (the process is non-destructive, if something goes wrong, you get the old PND back untouched).

Note also that, after the update, you may need to unmount/mount your SDCard...

Again, sorry for the mess :(

Attachments

• ufoai_update.pnd
    291.5 KB · Views: 245
So, I have a build 03 ready. But it will take time to upload (and I will upload it only tomorrow, can't launch that now).

But in the mean time, I give you an Update PND, that will update a Build 02 to Build 03, fixing (at last) the launching problem: 
attachicon.gif
ufoai_update.pnd

Just download and launch the update pnd, and it will find the ufoai PND and update it (there are a few zenity dialog in the process).

The PND to update is very big, so this process take some time (something like 30sec just at the star, and than several minutes to process the pnd), and you'll need 1Go of free space on the SDCard also (the process is non-destructive, if something goes wrong, you get the old PND back untouched).

Note also that, after the update, you may need to unmount/mount your SDCard...

Again, sorry for the mess :(
Hey! why are you sorry for giving free stuff to people?  :D

Tried a little and it's nice!  Thanks!

So, the Build 03 is finaly on the repo !

Build 03
----------

• Updated PND again to remove the call of script, the PND now runs.

The small text are really hard to read like those country names and equipment description texts.  It would be nice to increase those font size a tiny bit bigger.

The small text are really hard to read like those country names and equipment description texts.  It would be nice to increase those font size a tiny bit bigger.
I'll try. I have already enlarge small fonts (and you can see they are not anymore well centered). I can try to enlarge more the smaller fonts...

Is that better?

attachicon.gif
ufoai_biggerfonts.png
attachicon.gif
ufoai_biggerfonts2.png

You can see now that are are a bit overlaping in the item description. But, better or not?
Looks nice, but can you just reduce it down just a little so they don't overlap.  If it can't be done, what you show in the two pictures are way easier to read and I can live with that.  Thanks!

Looks nice, but can you just reduce it down just a little so they don't overlap.  If it can't be done, what you show in the two pictures are way easier to read and I can live with that.  Thanks!
Too small = can't read. Too big = overlapping.

Choose your poison.

Once again, nice work ptitSeb! This one is new to me!

Ok, new try.

The rules I have set are:

Code:
#ifdef PANDORA
// need to enlarge small fonts !
if (size<=12)
size = (size*7)/4; //75% more
else if (size<=16)
size = (size*3)/2; //50% more
#endif

That give you this: ufoai_biggerfonts.pngufoai_biggerfonts2.png

I think it's the best compromise between size and overlaping fonts. Tell my if that's ok, and I'll produce an update patch (I'll upload the big PND only tomorrow I think).

Ok, new try.

The rules I have set are:

#ifdef PANDORA
// need to enlarge small fonts !
if (size<=12)
size = (size*7)/4; //75% more
else if (size<=16)
size = (size*3)/2; //50% more
#endif

That give you this: 
attachicon.gif
ufoai_biggerfonts.png
attachicon.gif
ufoai_biggerfonts2.png

I think it's the best compromise between size and overlaping fonts. Tell my if that's ok, and I'll produce an update patch (I'll upload the big PND only tomorrow I think).
Perfect!  You're the man!   Thank you!

Back