Are Pandoras still being made? I might want one in the fall/ end of summer

Arctic

Still Fresh
Hello. I've been eyeing the Pandora for years now. I've been off and on about it.

I've made the decision to try it and jump in, I'll have the money in August-ish. The problem is they are sold out and evildragon made a post saying something about the "final Pandoras are being shipped" or something, I forget his exact words.

Anyways I just want to buy a 1ghz Pandora because the pyra won't come out for a long time from what I see......when's the pyra coming out? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, thanks for the info

I'll just buy a gcw zero and something else for the same $530. Im not patient enough to hold onto the money until 2015 , and its too late for a Pandora.

Back to android I go. I tried guys. Maybe summer next year I'll get a pyra. For now I'll just join the zero and android community

You could also get a refurbished CC model or one from ebay.

OK guys, thanks for the info

I'll just buy a gcw zero and something else for the same $530. Im not patient enough to hold onto the money until 2015 , and its too late for a Pandora.

Back to android I go. I tried guys. Maybe summer next year I'll get a pyra. For now I'll just join the zero and android community
You can also see if there are any available when you have the money.  Also, you could go with mcobit's suggestion and pick up a GCW Zero to go with it and maybe have a little left for SD cards.

I'm pretty sure Pandoras will be available in autumn.
My concern is support, I don't want a device that will be replaced by the new thing in 2015. Especially when it's $530. For $530 couldn't I just pick up a zero and a high end android tablet? The answer is yes.

But hey, who knows, by the time it's august I could score a zero+ tablet+ money to set aside for a pyra. I'd love to be part of your community and support this company and enjoy a great device that will be a useful and fun too!.

When can you predict that you'll have a working prototype of the pyra to show off?

When can you predict that you'll have a working prototype of the pyra to show off?
2 months
Ah, OK. That's enough time. Hopefully the price is right with the pyra also and preordering is well.

Oh, Evildragon, if you are reading this. Do you have a goal on pricing? Will it be more than the $530 1ghz Pandora? I looked at the specs and it will blow the Pandora out of the water which is exciting but its scary to think about the price.

2 months
Ah, OK. That's enough time. Hopefully the price is right with the pyra also and preordering is well.

Oh, Evildragon, if you are reading this. Do you have a goal on pricing? Will it be more than the $530 1ghz Pandora? I looked at the specs and it will blow the Pandora out of the water which is exciting but its scary to think about the price.
"2 months" is a bit of a joke around here.  If you are still on the fence about getting a Pandora or just skipping it and going for a Pyra go with what ED says.  Somewhere around here is a thread where he gives a very rough guess of the time frame Pyra may be out.  There is another with expenses broken down to give you an estimate of total unit cost

Think this is what rygD is mentioning...

Release date three point estimate

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16497-release-date-three-point-estimate/#entry340687/URL]

And this the price estimates break down

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15724-how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra/#entry317533

So nothing set in stone as yet... but yeah it's not 2 Months... that's just the default answer :)

As for a working prototype, there was a bare bones version I think already, no?

Wasn't there one that ED and Askarus were showing off on a rolling demo somewhere, hooked up to a monitor whilst they were speaking at an expo? But not sure what parts are planned to change from what was used on that model...

Personally, if you've the money coming in, I'd go with the Pandora, you'll still get a decent amount of use from it, and you can sell it when Pyra is just around the corner, you will no doubt sell it for less than paid for now, but still get a bit of cash towards the Pyra I'd reckon.

My GCW Zero is in the archives since getting my Pandora, and I sold both my Android gaming tablets

...or not sell it, and keep them both, one for each hand :)

As for a working prototype, there was a bare bones version I think already, no?

Wasn't there one that ED and Askarus were showing off on a rolling demo somewhere, hooked up to a monitor whilst they were speaking at an expo? But not sure what parts are planned to change from what was used on that model...
No, what ED showed was a prototype board that was connected to a development board from TI, just to show the potential of the Pyra (software wise).

Personally am considering grabbing a 1 gig unit at some point here.

I'm not sure I am personally going to want the Pyra, since it will be Debian environment instead of Angstrom Super Zaxxon I am used to.

to that end, if I manage to miss grabbing a new one, I might buy a used one off someone who want to sell to help finance getting a Pyra.  Unless a way can be founf to make all the existing stuff that works on Pandora...to work on a Pyra - and I actually would be comfortable with the unit and the environment.

Since I currently have a rebirth, anyway, a 1 gig unit could be nice for me to have.

Maybe get a Classic Pandora for 200 Euros and check the system first? The problem is the shipping cost, where do you live?

Back