Are Pandoras still being made? I might want one in the fall/ end of summer

I interact with a lot of IT types, so I guess I forget that some changes aren't so simple to adapt to for others.  Most of the teenagers I know are quite like you, Kumaki.  They know enough to do what they want to do, or other things that are done regularly, but have little interest in messing with new stuff or things that are different from what they are used to.  I know this because I try to show them stuff I think is cool.  A lot.  Stupid kids.

I do have a few custom programs made for me
Oh, I am jealous.  Anything cool?  I have most stuff I want, and the little things that are missing will probably be available easily enough using Debian.

and, if I am unable to get the original programmer to port them for me, is it possible the comunity would?
ED told numerous time that backward compatibility with the pandora was a target for the pyra. At least the comunity would validate for you that this tools works on pyra before purchase :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I interact with a lot of IT types, so I guess I forget that some changes aren't so simple to adapt to for others.  Most of the teenagers I know are quite like you, Kumaki.  They know enough to do what they want to do, or other things that are done regularly, but have little interest in messing with new stuff or things that are different from what they are used to.  I know this because I try to show them stuff I think is cool.  A lot.  Stupid kids.

I do have a few custom programs made for me
Oh, I am jealous.  Anything cool?  I have most stuff I want, and the little things that are missing will probably be available easily enough using Debian.
Well, it depends on what is "cool" to you, I suppose.

One is fairly boring, as it has direct application in my business, and not much use outside my field - which is medical billing and coding.  This one is a tool to translate ICD9 codes into ICD10 codes.

The other is one which, when totally finished, is called "Vitals" at the moment, and is a log where you can record blood pressure readings and blood sugar readings, so that you have a record for your doctor, when you have a visit with your doctor.

As one who has hypertension, and is prediabetic, this was a good thing for me to have,

I asked the person who programmed that one to make it available to the whole community, via REPO, once it was totally finished - as there's possibly others in our community who ight find this useful.

The programmer on the second one has job/home issues at the moment, so the second one, while functional, is not copleted.

The programer on the first one...I have not heard from in a while, although he DID say he'd tweak this for me as much as needed until I got it where I wanted it.

As it is now, the first is very functional, but there are some minor tweaks I want to make it more user-friendly.

The second one, I paid for, licensed to my company, and will not be released to the public.

The first, I paid for as part of a group of programing chores  - and authorized the release of the Vitals part of it...because that could be useful to others.

So, for now, I am waiting on completion of both items, but both are currently functional.  I don't want to bother the programmers too much, even though I did pay for these.

Well, at present, my company has one employee....me.

The work volume and cash flow aren't there to hire anyone currently.

But, because of these particular programs I have had done, I can justify the cost of Pandys bought by my business as a business expense.

sometimes, owing your own company can be really sweet :D

And you get to brag that everyone at your company uses a Pandora in their duties!

but I do have a few custom programs made for me...and, if I am unable to get the original programmer to port them for me, is it possible the comunity would?
Provided that the Mono-Runtime libs work on the Pyra (which currently seems to be a given) I can help you out with that.

Can I just say that "Vitals" was requested (not commissioned) by you but wasn't paid for. I did it for free - a voluntary app. You paid for the two other projects, which I did, which were completed.

Vitals IS feature complete to you original specifications, however other ideas crept in (from you and myself) - this is called feature creep and often delays apps. Life really did get in the way of this one - and everything else. Things have changed significantly over the last 18 months and I haven't coded anything new (other than a quick mini-game) in all that time. My last proper coded game was AquaVenture. I haven't even had time to play commercial games that I've bought and been given for the last two years. I get to complete a single Picross 3D puzzle each night on the Pandora and that's it.

I am really annoyed with myself that I haven't completed the "extended" cut of Vitals, especially since there's not a great deal left to do, but I will get back to it before the Pyra comes out, especially as eveything is finally settling down.

Can I just say that "Vitals" was requested (not commissioned) by you but wasn't paid for. I did it for free - a voluntary app. You paid for the two other projects, which I did, which were completed.

Vitals IS feature complete to you original specifications, however other ideas crept in (from you and myself) - this is called feature creep and often delays apps. Life really did get in the way of this one - and everything else. Things have changed significantly over the last 18 months and I haven't coded anything new (other than a quick mini-game) in all that time. My last proper coded game was AquaVenture. I haven't even had time to play commercial games that I've bought and been given for the last two years. I get to complete a single Picross 3D puzzle each night on the Pandora and that's it.

I am really annoyed with myself that I haven't completed the "extended" cut of Vitals, especially since there's not a great deal left to do, but I will get back to it before the Pyra comes out, especially as eveything is finally settling down.
Correct.

I did say I commissioned Vitals at the same time as two other paid programs.

I guess I should have been clearer.  My apologies.

You don't need to be annoyed with yourself over this.  I'm not annoyed!  Life happens, believe me, I know!

I've always known that when you had a chance you would get back to it - and I have not wanted to pressure you any too much, given as I knew you were having life and work issues at the moment.  Of course, as we discussed, when Vitals is finalized, then absolutely release that baby on REPO, as it may be useful to many others.

But you're correct in that I did not pay for Vitals...the other two I did.  But all three came up at the same time and the other two were paid.  My bad, I really should have been a bit clearer about that.

My own company owns hundreds of Pandoras :D
With the limited number produced it is amazing how many companies use Pandoras. ;)
I know what you're saying, but, quite frankly...as versatile as the Pandora is...and with how many business applications it can do....I am actually more amazed MORE businesses don't use Pandoras...thus driving up demand, which would have likewise driven up actual supply.

Yeah, Pandora is a gaming/hacking tool primarily, I guess...but there are a lot of ways to use a Pandora in business.  And not even with custom-made programs like the ones I have...but just with stuff freely available on the REPO.

I really think ED should consider marketing these to some businesses as a legitimate business tool.

My own company owns hundreds of Pandoras :D
With the limited number produced it is amazing how many companies use Pandoras. ;)
I know what you're saying, but, quite frankly...as versatile as the Pandora is...and with how many business applications it can do....I am actually more amazed MORE businesses don't use Pandoras...thus driving up demand, which would have likewise driven up actual supply.

Yeah, Pandora is a gaming/hacking tool primarily, I guess...but there are a lot of ways to use a Pandora in business.  And not even with custom-made programs like the ones I have...but just with stuff freely available on the REPO.

I really think ED should consider marketing these to some businesses as a legitimate business tool.
No, no, no, no, no!  I have been a bit worried for a while that if the Pyra becomes fairly successful the community may be worse for it, since it will be less of a niche product.  I am a bit concerned that another result of the success could be ED having to change his approach to the hardware and community to appeal to the masses.  I do want it to be successful, and I do want him to make lots of money so we get even better stuff, but I don't want those who like these devices as they are being overshadowed by big companies dictating design, and those who are technically knowledgeable and aware of the reliability and security issues (for example) not having the same impact when those who don't care about such things move in.  I would rather keep it relatively small with the type of community that exists now over a massive community, even with the benefit of increased software output, with 100 new things added to the repo every day, including soundboards with farts and other inane shit.  Call me elitist if you wish, but that is not at all what I am getting at.

She's not saying that ED should be designing devices for business use,  just that if he's already made a device that is suitable for such use it makes sense to market it to businesses.  She's right too.  It does make sense.  He would just need to be careful to ensure that it's practical to then scale production to meet demand.

In terms of demands on ED's time, perhaps HMC would be willing to offer business support leaving ED free to focus primarily on the requirements of the non-commercial community?  I wouldn't rule that out,  HMC has been pushing the Pandora as a productivity device all along.

Either way, communities change over time as people come and go.  I would go so far as to say this has already happened recently with an influx of people with no interest in the Pandora joining the forums due to their interest in the Pyra.   As a result the overall tone of the boards is changing.   That's going to happen anyway, it's unavoidable, and I don't think it's a good reason for ED to restrict how he markets the Pyra.

- Neelix

Those are just things I don't want to happen in those ways.  I have no control over it, and if they come to pass I adapt.  I actually might be interested in a business oriented Pandora-like device.  Those have been an interest of mine for a while, and I love my 100LX.

I feel the new Pyra people at this stage are the same type as the Pandora people from a few years ago, but I may be wrong.  I don't mind changes to the community, especially new ideas and people willing to make and do those things.  More sales, as I mentioned, may lead to new hardware, and if there are improvements I will probably be up for those.

I prefer we not end up with a tablet with a keyboard like early Kindles as the P3, or having to sift through a bunch of junk in the repo to find something fun or useful, or poor choices made on hardware or firmware because they are good in an enterprise environment, but not so great for privacy and security for individual home users.  I also don't want Facebook to have anything to do with how my future devices work (but I am all for them giving ED a few million dollars to work on new stuff).

I wasn't asking ED not to market the Pyra for business.  I would love if companies handed out Pyras like they used to with Blackberries and such.  My "No, no, no, no, no!" was at the potential negative changes I see (perhaps I should have stated that in my previous post).  That all started because I thought how great it would be if the Pyra replaced laptops for many people, or otherwise sold millions of units.

It is possible that the pyra will sell a lot more units than planned. In that case Ed will learn how difficult it is to grow a business :) Exciting times ahead.

Neelix has the approach outlined that I was thinking of.

My point was that, a potential market should not be ignored,.  I know I'm not the only business owner on these Boards...and if I can find application for it in my business, I'm sure others can too.

I was not suggesting a major advertising blitz, and making the Pyra something other than a niche device, I like the way these are niche devices.

But the niche could be a bit bigger than some are thinking, that's all.  /

I assume extra success and extra bucks in ED's pocket will thusly lead to even bigger and better things.

or otherwise sold millions of units.
That aint going to happen at the price point (you need to be usually below 300 dollars to appeal to mass market; unless you're called Apple) and it aint going to happen anyway with the supply chain in place. That's probably the biggest hurdle if the Pyra becomes popular... how to answer the demand ? 

Just put some fruit on it, give it an aluminium casing and it will sell like hotcakes.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back