Archos Gamepad 2

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Archos have come out with the Archos GamePad 2 , looks like a slight design change and they have now included

1)  2Gb Memory

2)  A microSD slot

3)  A RK3188 Quad Core SOC

4)  IPS Screen

5)  Updated D-Pad

Lets hope they put in a bigger battery

Story here:  

http://liliputing.com/2013/09/archos-gamepad-2-to-sport-2gb-ram-quad-core-cpu.html

archos-gamepad-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
waste of time prefer the new jxd if only they would release a gaming tablet with better shoulder button placement

Than goodness the screen is IPS.  The last screen was major A$$

yeah, the screen was far from perfect with its viewing angles.

I actually quite like the look of this, didn't have any problem with the nub position on the original Gamepad - though that said it wasn't long after getting one that I picked up the JXD and put the Gamepad in the drawer.

Better screen and decent dpad though, could make this pretty decent I think.

I think I'd rather the Shield though still

Yeah, I'd really like to have 7'' pandora.

7'' Shield would be cool too.

But there are none and I my 5.3'' phone is too small for me to game on. I prefer my gamepad although it have a vastly inferior screen and shitty sound

Yeah, I'd really like to have 7'' pandora.

7'' Shield would be cool too.

But there are none and I my 5.3'' phone is too small for me to game on. I prefer my gamepad although it have a vastly inferior screen and shitty sound
In Gametablet =  WIKIPAD if you can spent a little more... but to be honest i enjoyed the Archos wen i got it , the easy mapper with memory was one of the main points (still is the only way to play RAVENSWORD or GUNSLINGUER or DARK LEGENDS decently... ) 

Pandora is like the Dreamcast.. it hits the 8th portable generation FIRST than any other console, so it is no surprise some specs in the Pandora NOW are a little outdated, but anyway still a full functional SERIOUS console, a LEGEND and with its own flavor. I still prefer the NO GRAVITY on the Pandora, than the Android Tegra version. I still love to play the DOS games on the Pandora. I still like the Pandora screen for all the retrogames, sometimes NEWER is not BEST: retro games looks awful on IPS screens.... is my opinion. 

To avoid discussions and frustrations just GET IT ALL XD    Take EVERY console out there and you will find something good on it, trust me XD

Its only got slider analogs and they are not klickable and in the wrong place confirmed on archos's FB page

It does look like a nice bit of kit, but they'll struggle to sell many at those prices when it's put side by side with the Shield IMHO.

Been mentioned here btw: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14428-archos-gamepad-2-with-rk3188-and-microsd/

But this is a more recent review of the actual unit anyway.

I think it looks a lot nicer than the first incarnation without doubt, and improvements with the screen and dpad had to happen. Though I agree the Shield is going to make it harder to sell.

I'd rather the Shield myself. Not that much extra cash really, when parting with that much anyway

I don't know how the european prices compare between it and the shield , but the US price for the Gamepad 2 is $200 - so reasonably priced and a fair percentage cheaper than the shield. It also does have a 7 inch screen size advantage over the shield and is in a tablet form which some people may prefer.  So there should be a market for it 

Good to see they addressed battery life and the other issues with the gamepad 1.  Looks like they listened to their customers which is a good sign.

Shield is $299, which is £186

Gamepad 2 is £179 for the 8GB model ... ~£200 - £220 for the larger model.

Shield is tenner cheaper, though I don't think it's very easy to get a Shield for that price over here, prices are bumped by the sellers.

Buy It Now on ebay for £229

Wowe, Archos is fast. When was the first Gamepad released? I'm really impressed, nice design too. I had something similar in mind for the Pandora successor, (sloped corners but of course onto an clamshell design. 

It seems Archos have their own version of our "TWO MONTHS", the better one. :lol:

What's known about the SoC? It sounds interesting in the Article:

"Talking of power this comes with a 1.6GHz quad-core A9 Rockchip RK3188 processor and 600 MHz overclocked quad-core Mali 400 GPU plus 2GB RAM. Mali is ideal for games developers as they usually already optimised for it."

It would be better if they were somehow able to place L1R1 L2R2 the traditional way...
I like this placement side by side, I would like to see this for "P2" because it allows a much thinner case. Look how much space  XBox/Playstation Controllers need to have 2 shoulder buttons on each side, that's not practical for an Handheld.

Back