Hailrazer's - Archos GamePad Larger Battery Mod

hailrazer

Staff member
Yep, it's official.  The Gamepad has a lousy battery.  

All reviewers say they are getting around 2-3 hours gameplay or movie watching.

It's rated at 3000mAh , but I'm guessing it really is around 2000mAh.

So.................................... Let's put a bigger one in there !!!!!

Link to Hailrazer's  - Archos GamePad Larger Battery Mod   :   http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=2792&p=22293#p22293

I put in a TRUE 4700mAh Li-Po. 

gpbat5.JPG

gpbat1.JPG

gpbat8.JPG

Battery life :

Playing :  Android Games and N64 Emulation constantly

Screen brightness : Around 85%

Volume : 50%

Wi-Fi :  Off

Before mod   ---  2 1/2 - 3  hours

After mod     ---  7 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the result. I'm sure a lot of people will be viewing your how to , if this gives a decent improvement.

Question though, do you think there are any bigger mah batteries that are made that could have fit?

Looking forward to the result. I'm sure a lot of people will be viewing your how to , if this gives a decent improvement.

Question though, do you think there are any bigger mah batteries that are made that could have fit?
Not that I can find.  The 4700 mAh one I used was the largest for the size that I could ever find in the last 5 years. 

Since they discontinued it I use a 5000mAh in my portables. It is slightly smaller L X W  but it is way to thick at almost 9mm. 

Have you gotten around to testing the new battery life?
Not yet. I couldn't use the charger that comes with the Gamepad. It has a European plug and I don't have an adapter. So I had to charge with the USB cable. Which for a 4700mAh battery takes almost 10 hours.

So....... basically it took all night to charge. LOL

And I am leaving for services this morning.  I will be testing it when I get home this afternoon. And I will be stopping at RadioShack on the way home for a European to US adapter for the plug. 

Battery life :

Playing :  Android Games and N64 Emulation constantly

Screen brightness : Around 85%

Volume : 50%

Wi-Fi :  Off

Before mod   ---  2 1/2 - 3  hours

After mod     ---  6 hours

This was with the first initial charge.  With a full discharge and re-charge it could be higher.

*edit* 

After a couple full discharge/charge cycles I am up to 7 hours !

I will update the first post   :)

Ahh good stuff.  7 hours solid gaming is good , especially with 85% brightness

I have a Sega Nomad that really could use a better battery as well.

I wonder if something's worse about the voltage discharge curve of the original battery, or if it's being driven past its ideal current range, to make its rating "worse."

Surprised to see tablet class devices using 3.7V single-cell batteries. That can't be helping battery life either.

Surprised to see tablet class devices using 3.7V single-cell batteries. That can't be helping battery life either.
multicell battery are generally stacked meaning they are thicker... guess they don't like that

edit: wondering also if it could make the charging circuit cheaper as it only need to provide downvoltage...

Looks like the Gamepad had room for plenty of extra thickness if the battery mod fits in the same housing.. I agree that whatever the reason it was probably cost. AFAIK charging circuits have to handle multiple cells separately so they're more expensive for that reason too.

With the latest firmware from Archos, hailrazers simple d-pad and battery mods, kernel source being released for the RK3066 SOC and Ubuntu being ported to RK3066 devices.

Combine the above with the gamepads touch control mapping software , specs, price and the Archos Gamepad is looking to be a very good  handheld console indeed.

With the latest firmware from Archos, hailrazers simple d-pad and battery mods, kernel source being released for the RK3066 SOC and Ubuntu being ported to RK3066 devices.

Combine the above with the gamepads touch control mapping software , specs, price and the Archos Gamepad is looking to be a very good  handheld console indeed.
Maybe hailrazer or someone else (like yourself) should go into reselling modded Gamepads, if that isn't already happening. These mods sound cool but probably something many won't want to bother with.

Cool news about Ubuntu, might actually use that silly TV stick I bought one day.. ;)

great work, I will be checking the YT video posted here later on, I want 6hour life on my Gamepad

After a couple full discharge/charge cycles I am up to 7 hours !

I will update the first post   :)

Back