Archos TV Connect - Gaming and Media machine

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
As mentioned in another thread, Archos have released a new Device which covers a number of fields .

It has a

1)  Controller with full game controls, air mouse and keyboard.

2)  Connects to your TV via an included attachment which also has a camera for skype calls

3)  Includes Archos's great media software

4)  Includes Archos's game mapping software

5)  Seems to be powered by a 1.5 Ghz dual core processor (not sure if this is the RK3066) , no word on what it is .

6)  Runs Jelly Bean with access to the Play store

7)  Available for $130

To me this seems to be the perfect device.  On paper they seem to have a winner. Will see what it's like

Here's the Engadget story.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/archos-reveals-android-powered-tv-connect/

Here's there web site

http://www.archos.com/products/home/archos_tv_connect/index.html?country=us&lang=en&p=1#a

Last edited by a moderator:
my guess is amlogic mx, because if it was rockchip it would be 1.6GHz and if it was snapdragon then they would market the hell out of it. same thing for the other big name soc vendors.

...any problem with the amlogic mx if it is?

guess just not as big a name as some these others then but is it a concern?

so far, I want this ASAP

I was thinking it might be the amlogic also when I saw the 1.5ghz.  My guess is that it's using the same chip being used in the GameStick up on Kickstarter.

Its meant to be similiar to a RK3066 , but I think the RK3066 is a little better.

...any problem with the amlogic mx if it is?

guess just not as big a name as some these others then but is it a concern?

so far, I want this ASAP
amlogic mx should be about exynos 4210 performance, mali-400mp2 @400(~7gflops) vs mali-400mp4 @266(~9gflops), and both cortex a9(mx has clock spd advantage) as for memory idk.

ok cheers, will be some vids of this on YT after the CES show soon then, no doubt full details then too eh

Lol, the Design of the Controller looks so familiar to me...

It's like Pandora and Atari Jaguar had a child^^

nice one

I think TV manufacturers need to start getting Android as their "smart" solutions rather than their own versions.

this looks like will be so much better than the smart tv experience from LG or Samsung and the likes

edit: yes, that does look slightly influenced by Jaguar. ..just now with added nubs :)

reminds me of sony's google tv...but with joysticks

sony-google-tv-remote.jpg
TV_touch_remote-300x275.jpg

The controller doesn't look great, but the reviews I have seen on a similiar looking controller(Could have also been Archos)  have all said its great to hold and use.

It still amazes me that no one has had a serious go at this space yet, even just the smart tv add on .  We just got an Apple TV for X Mas (Apparently my wife asked for it).   It's about as enjoyable to use as putting your hand in a blender.

1)  Movie rentals are hideously expensive, much more so than going to rent the same movies at the video store - How can that be.

2)  No browser.

3)  Cant connect a keyboard so you have to use a technique to enter text similiar to that on arcade machine were you enter your high score name.  Makes Youtube un-useable.    They say you can connect an ipad/iphone etc to use their keyboard - Great, buy a much more expensive device to control a cheaper device - that makes sense.

Im surprised Apple in there talk of uselability even released such shit.

Looks like a great bundle--webcam, controller, ethernet, and mapping software included?  Pure win.

The controller looks like a cool hacker project. Also its good to see one thats not aimed to be as small as possible. Unfortunately I can't play very well or long on small controllers : |   It'd be a big feature if you could just connect a xbox360 controller to your Pandora

How does the omap 4470 compare with the rk3066 or even a quad core Tegra 3?

i dont quite know, dual a9s and low power dual m3s for background tasks(effective quad core?) dual channel memory controller and a pvr sgx 544mp1 @~384MHz(~11Gflops)  should be a little faster, but remember alot of android games are optimized for pvr anyway.

Planned for an April release UK, I still have my eye on this and will likely grab one then

Assuming there are no deal-breaking implementation screwups, it will be hard to not buy this.

Well done Archos.

Back