Anyone Get There Tracking/shipping Email Yet?

We had libflac in there, but I think it might have fallen out when we did the codec purge (by mistake really.) I mean, this came up pretty recently so we did some changes, and have been testing to ensure we didn't break anything.

Two notes ..

1) The codec pack will just be a pnd file (that in turn just includes an ipk package file; So the pnd will internally just run something like 'opkg install foo.ipk' which will install everything right into your firmware.) So easy -- drop file on SD card, an icon shows up, you run it, and then go delete your pnd file. It couldn't be easier :)

2) If a developer is worried, he can include his own shared libs; ie: It is _absolutely trivial_ to include shared libs in the pnd-files with an app. For instance, we noticed libflac missing the other day when we were making a scummvm pnd-file; doh! So I just copied libflac.so into the pnd-file and added a LD_LIBRARY_PATH entry into the runscummvm.sh inside the pnd, and voila, all is well in the world. It is hoighly unfortunate the patent system makes a mess like this, but at least it is not really user-impacting or developer-too-annoying.

Most apps will not need codec packs, but for the few that do, they'll have to include a note in their documentation - "depends on codec pack to work", or else they'll have to bundle some of the codecs in the pnd.

jeff

How are the MP Pandora units getting flashed? The boards have already been throughly tested so is it just a matter of putting in a self-booting SD, letting it copy, remove and shutdown?

Sugar_Kane said:
Royal Mail won't just come to your house and pick things up

They will come to your place of business (which can presumably be a home address) if you're a big enough client.

Last edited by a moderator:
greendots -- yep; notaz made a little flash tool.

ie: Normally to boot from SD you prepare a SD with bootfiles + image-partition; his flasher util is a set of replacement bootfiles that instead of firing up a whole OS, just copy it to the NAND, and optionalyl fire up some test utils so some tresting can be odne to ensure the device works.

(Yes, the flasher tool will be generally available; and yes, you can just copy over the NAND /dev yourself if you know what you're doing :) The flasher does a checksum check against the important bits, etc; pretty nicely done (again kudos to notaz)

So .. assemble device, plop it down, jack in SD and repeat; after flashign is done (its quick), do the tests, and I guess put it on the shipping pile.

jeff

skeezix said:
1) The codec pack will just be a pnd file (that in turn just includes an ipk package file; So the pnd will internally just run something like 'opkg install foo.ipk' which will install everything right into your firmware.) So easy -- drop file on SD card, an icon shows up, you run it, and then go delete your pnd file. It couldn't be easier :)

That sounds dirt simple. :)

My question then becomes, who is hosting this codec pack?

skeezix said:
greendots -- yep; notaz made a little flash tool.

ie: Normally to boot from SD you prepare a SD with bootfiles + image-partition; his flasher util is a set of replacement bootfiles that instead of firing up a whole OS, just copy it to the NAND, and optionalyl fire up some test utils so some tresting can be odne to ensure the device works.

(Yes, the flasher tool will be generally available; and yes, you can just copy over the NAND /dev yourself if you know what you're doing :) The flasher does a checksum check against the important bits, etc; pretty nicely done (again kudos to notaz)

So .. assemble device, plop it down, jack in SD and repeat; after flashign is done (its quick), do the tests, and I guess put it on the shipping pile.

jeff

Thanks for the reply. This should be very easy for MP and allow them to flash on as many simultaneously as they have SDs :)

I dunno offhand; I don't know enough about the topic to make a real answer. Suffice to say "not me" :)

ED probably knows the answer, but he's on a plane right now :)

jeff

From Korea; I think hes checking in at home, then heading out to the UK on Saturday or something? I dunno, his life is not one of the many under my thumb :)

jeff

I really wonder if the PowerVR SGX driver is going to be onboard from the factory .. anyone know the answer?

I wonder who the lucky 50 were! :pandora2ut4:

I think midday in the UK was about an hour ago, so it won't be long before people start getting their shipping mails! Maybe the team managed even more than 50... fingers crossed for an update soon.

The email address I ordered with no longer exists. And i ordered within half an hour or so of sales going live. So I don't and won't know my Pandora has shipped until I get a packet through my door :)

Pleng said:
The email address I ordered with no longer exists. And i ordered within half an hour or so of sales going live. So I don't and won't know my Pandora has shipped until I get a packet through my door :)
This for me too. Although when I repaid I used a current email I'm not sure whether this will have been associated with the order.

I'm gonna leave this for a surprise and not flood Jacqueline with emails.

WOOT. Just got my shipping confirmation!!!!

EDIT: As explained later in this thread I mistakenly was using a clipboard editor that was auto changing the case of anything I copied (I'm at work)

Hello,

This Is To Confirm Your Pandora Has Been Shipped.

If You Are In The Uk You Can Look Forward To Recieving Your Order In The Next 24 Hours (weekends Not Always Included), If You Chose Ups Shipping You Should Recieve Your Order In The Next 48 Hours (weekends Not Included). Airmail Will Take 2-12 Days.

We Want To Thank You For Sticking With The Pandora Project For All This Time. We Hope You Will Enjoy The Final Product. You Can Head Over To gp32x.de To Talk On The Forums And Soon Enjoy Your Pandora.

Thanks So Much,

Craig And The Pandora Team.

socket said:
WOOT. Just got my shipping confirmation!!!!
Wow Congrats mate, I'm now ready to believe! :lol:

Let's keep fingers crossed for the rest of the 4000. Hopefully no hang up's with factory and volcanoes.

Back