Any Suggestions For Fixing The Usb Crack?

andyB911

Website
Visit site
Question... I didn't heed the advice about loosening the screw beside the usb port until too late (its a pretty new unit so assumed as it looked fine that it was done already, and now I have a full blown crack.

You know what they say about assuming... :(

Do I try to ignore, loosen and stick back with super glue(has anyone successfully done?) or any other suggestions?

Are cases for sale yet? Is replacement of the entire bottom half of the case feasible now there are cases (I believe) delivered to the UK? Given I can't see it when using it, ignoring is clearly the correct answer, but for some reason easier said than done.

And... if you haven't got a crack yet, don't do as I did and assume that as a new unit it will be fine... instead get a screwdriver and loosen it.

I second that advice.

A crack developed on mine (I take exceptionally good care of my stuff - this is entirely the fault of the overtightened screw), and I discovered that the screw had been so overtightened that no screwdriver I owned could move it. Thankfully, I did find a suitable one while I was on vacation last week, though, and this is my advice: Use a screwdriver that's got a barrel like a chunky ball-point pen for the best leverage. It will loosen it in no time.

I don't know whether or not it's a good idea to put any glue on the crack or such, though. I'm just ignoring mine. :p

Prometheus said:
I don't know whether or not it's a good idea to put any glue on the crack or such, though. I'm just ignoring mine. :p

Well, the idea is to stick and reconnect the bit that has effectively broken off... ie its not a fissure but more of a fracture.

Last edited by a moderator:
New unit? And they still didn't solve this issue? I've read some "crack reports" and all seems to be at the same point onto the case. I wonder if the Team uses force-adjustable screwdrivers to prevent to tighten the screws to hard.
I've also read that some of the screws are just to long, also a easy to fix "problem". I wonder who is the overpowered muscle guy who drills the poor screws that hard into the case. :ph34r:

quartercast said:
When did you receive your unit, Andy?

It was one of the 700 -> 900 units. Got it at the beginning of Sept.

Iorgy77 said:
At least you guys got screws, mine is missing half off the bottom.

Thats probably better - bet you don't have the crack :D

I'm annoyed as I was sitting smug thinking mine was great. Nubs work, everything was fantastic (bezel not an annoyance oddly). And then the crack.

I use it daily and it *IS* fantastic. Just annoyed as much with myself as anything else...

Iorgy77 said:
At least you guys got screws, mine is missing half off the bottom.

You must have ordered the Pandora Lite Edition.

fusion_power said:
New unit? And they still didn't solve this issue? I've read some "crack reports" and all seems to be at the same point onto the case. I wonder if the Team uses force-adjustable screwdrivers to prevent to tighten the screws to hard.
I've also read that some of the screws are just to long, also a easy to fix "problem". I wonder who is the overpowered muscle guy who drills the poor screws that hard into the case. :ph34r:
I am guessing they are using those power electric screwdrivers to save time. The problem is that those go fast and produce monster torque. If you lay on the juice a fraction of a second too long you get a super tight screw and a crack later on.

DaveC said:
I am guessing they are using those power electric screwdrivers to save time. The problem is that those go fast and produce monster torque. If you lay on the juice a fraction of a second too long you get a super tight screw and a crack later on.
A variable torqued version should solve that problem.

Nation.A.List said:
DaveC said:
Not sure there is a such thing. The best thing would be a slip clutch added to the bit so that when the torque hits a certain level the clutch spins and applies no more force to the screw.

DaveC said:
Nation.A.List said:
DaveC said:
Not sure there is a such thing. The best thing would be a slip clutch added to the bit so that when the torque hits a certain level the clutch spins and applies no more force to the screw.
I really hoped they use such a tool since the very beginning. ^^""

Sorry to hear about the crack.

Well, RMA unit if you really want to...or loosen screw and some form of glue/adhesive so it doesn't get worse / dust get in there. I don't know the right type of glue if you go this route. It won't HIDE the crack, but may prevent it from getting worse. I don't know if we're talking super glue or some form of specialized, be careful not to glue your fingers together and to everything else, industrial plastic cement. The main trouble would be applying it as doing that properly means some disassembly of the case...or careful pressure applied around the fracture. Anybody know the right type of glue?

Cheers, and I hope they have the clutch / torque screw driver so this doesn't affect future units.

Send mine held together with an elastic band, I'll put the screws in myself.

DaveC said:
Nation.A.List said:
DaveC said:
My link

DaveC said:
I'm quite sure they did that atleast with the first ~150. Mine came with two (out of 5) screws totally overdone (they spun idly in their "threads").
They really should get something like the link above (but I'm not sure if those bits fit the length needed in the pandora).

Back