Any chance on talking to anyone at Valve about the Pyra?

@Silent-Hunter: From what's shown with something like the WiiU tablet remore so far, there might be. Some people seem to like walking around their house with their games streaming (IIRC, I think the PS Vita also had a similar streaming option with the PS4).

In my opinion, If Valve would port somehow the Steam In-Home-Streaming feature to their ARM-based steam app (on Android) there might be some potential in using Virtualization on the Pyra in order to get the feature working for a similar purpose with PC's.

Though as it looks like right now, there seems to be little interest from Valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just talked about steam on the Pyra over on reddit :) . Even just the streaming would be awesome.

The thing is, Valve said they are doing linux as a jumping off point to Android. Linux is just so they can learn OpenGL, and get everything ready. Then it is just an easy port to Android. So yea, I think steam will come to the Pyra. They would probable treat it much like Steam on Linux, they release it for one platform (Ubuntu) but you can get it working on others (Arch in my case). Granted, it will most likely only be on Android, but still. Boot up android, and you have a better Shield :) .
are you... fucking serious??? Valve are actually going to market a game console running Android of all operating systems?! It's been proven time and time again that Android is one of the worst possible systems for gaming, and if this is true then it will make the steambox absolutely worthless as a games console and have no reason to ever be taken seriously. If Android was worth anything for gaming then the Ouya wouldn't have failed as miserably as it did, and Bethesda would be writing the id Tech 5 engine in Java. But that's not happening because Java is the worst possible language anyone other than a high school student learning some amateur games development course could ever pick for making a game.

I dunno, Minecraft did very well. And I don't think they want the Steam Machines to run Android. I think they want to make a portable Steam console. Which Android would be quite decent for.

I actually just talked about steam on the Pyra over on reddit :) . Even just the streaming would be awesome.

The thing is, Valve said they are doing linux as a jumping off point to Android. Linux is just so they can learn OpenGL, and get everything ready. Then it is just an easy port to Android. So yea, I think steam will come to the Pyra. They would probable treat it much like Steam on Linux, they release it for one platform (Ubuntu) but you can get it working on others (Arch in my case). Granted, it will most likely only be on Android, but still. Boot up android, and you have a better Shield :) .
are you... fucking serious??? Valve are actually going to market a game console running Android of all operating systems?! It's been proven time and time again that Android is one of the worst possible systems for gaming, and if this is true then it will make the steambox absolutely worthless as a games console and have no reason to ever be taken seriously. If Android was worth anything for gaming then the Ouya wouldn't have failed as miserably as it did, and Bethesda would be writing the id Tech 5 engine in Java. But that's not happening because Java is the worst possible language anyone other than a high school student learning some amateur games development course could ever pick for making a game.
He came from Reddit. That says a lot.

It's not all java, anyone needing serious performance wouldn't write their android app entirely in java. Unreal engine 3 & 4 runs on android and that's going to be the target for lots of games. ID tech 4 was ported unofficially, but its there I don't see any limitations as to WHY ID tech 5 couldn't be ported... But not a whole lot of games use ID tech engine anyway, but a fuckton uses unreal...

I think the real limitation was lack of capable hardware more than the OS that runs it, but nvidia and google both seem to be tackleing that specific problem with android L and tegra k1. ID tech engine games are definitely demanding even if not in high quantity, that might be the "real reason"

Nvidia is doing things right where OUYA failed and that is Google services integration and not going OUYA's route and "technically" being android but break everything that makes android appealing. I never got an OUYA, not because I don't like android gaming, but I don't like fragmented pieces of shit with no support. I do own a shield portable and considering getting the tablet, it's android gaming done right.

Nvidia and valve are like best friends in the tech world because one feeds the other and vice versa. Nvidia is also up Google's butthole so the marriage might make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_4#Games_using_the_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5#Games_using_id_Tech_5

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

EDIT:

list of game engines ported to android (does not include unofficial ports)

https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/blogs/2012/03/13/game-engines-for-android

Last edited by a moderator:
Back