Any chance on talking to anyone at Valve about the Pyra?

well that'd require the pyra supporting OpenGl
It would also require that Android support OpenGL which I'm pretty sure it doesn't at this point.If linux is just a stepping stone to Android then OpenGL is just a stepping stone to OpenGLES.

It wouldn't hurt anyything trying to contact Valve once we're ready, but it is unlikely they'll care for such a small fish.
With Valve making a push with steam being flexible in being able to do different tasks. I wouldn't count them out yet until the email is sent. What if wants to support Pyra? I can't even write down all the possibilities. I am even more excited commercially for the pyra if Valve were to get involved.. "Pyra the open source handheld Steam machine".

It wouldn't hurt anyything trying to contact Valve once we're ready, but it is unlikely they'll care for such a small fish.
With Valve making a push with steam being flexible in being able to do different tasks. I wouldn't count them out yet until the email is sent. What if wants to support Pyra? I can't even write down all the possibilities. I am even more excited commercially for the pyra if Valve were to get involved.. "Pyra the open source handheld Steam machine".
This.

While it is true that for Valve the Pyra will be "small fish", it would also be a great testing bed for them. A nice open handheld that they could use as a reference system. And /if/ they got involved, it woudn't stay a small fish for long, as least I doubt it.

They might be more interested in talking if there was something to show: porting SteamOS to the Pyra and getting game streaming to work before sending them an email might make the case much stronger.

^This.

Also my "small fish" statement was supposed to be a balanced viewpoint as opposed to the earlier more negative comments...
Meaning if someone wants to contact them and see if they are interested it won't hurt anything. I agree that we should have something to show before trying to contact them, however.

and getting game streaming to work
Afaik the game streaming is part of the Steam client, so closed source.

Would be cool if they'd open it up in some way or it gets reverse engineered, though. People say it works very well after all.

Afaik the game streaming is part of the Steam client, so closed source.

Would be cool if they'd open it up in some way or it gets reverse engineered, though. People say it works very well after all.
Can you confirm? I can't find any information about whether the receiver client is a binary blob or not, just a lot of 3 month old speculation about whether it will be or not. I was under the impression that it would be just as open and compileable as the rest of the operating system but I could be wrong, if not right away then eventually.

How do I use it?

The Steam In-Home Streaming feature is currently in limited beta, so you must have received a beta invitation via e-mail before you can use the feature.

Once you have received your invitation, you can start streaming in 3 easy steps:

Opt into the Steam client beta on two computers.

Login to the Steam beta client on both computers with the same account.

Go to the computer where you want to play and start playing your game.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617

So it's in a kind of half-open beta right now(you should get a beta invite soon enough once joining the community group), but not limited to Steam Machines, rather than all systems running Steam.

I personally haven't tested it yet, as I'm kinda lacking a second device this would be useful for. But I'd love to be able to use this or something similar (current available solutions don't really work that well tbh) for a certain device in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be cool but I guess the Pyra is just a to small project to get any attention of big companies. Just look at the OUYA for example, much more units sold than Pandoras but OUYA is actualy still pretty dead imho. At least I haven't heared anything exiting from OUYA in months. For a project that funded 8.6 Million $ pretty disappointing. 

valve already said they wont do their own steambox why would they get involved with a handheld. does not make any sense.

This.

While it is true that for Valve the Pyra will be "small fish", it would also be a great testing bed for them. A nice open handheld that they could use as a reference system. And /if/ they got involved, it woudn't stay a small fish for long, as least I doubt it.

So it's in a kind of half-open beta right now(you should get a beta invite soon enough once joining the community group), but not limited to Steam Machines, rather than all systems running Steam.
So streaming actually has absolutely nothing to do with SteamOS? The OS was just a means of getting a static set of libraries for running the x86 Linux version of Steam (and possibly the various games).That's actually very, very disappointing. Not what was being implied at all.

Huh? Everything I've ever read about SteamOS didn't imply anything different from what it is now: a common distro with a custom kernel and Steam pre-installed for using it in Big Picture mode.

Steam already manages an own 'runtime' for the library issue, no need to take care of it within SteamOS. It's not like they could get entirely rid of it with SteamOS, anyway.

It will be extremely difficult even for Valve to get most developers to release x86 Linux ports, but I bet it would be nearly impossible to get they to release games for ARM Linux.

Don't dream about this happening at least in a long long time.

It will be extremely difficult even for Valve to get most developers to release x86 Linux ports, but I bet it would be nearly impossible to get they to release games for ARM Linux.

Don't dream about this happening at least in a long long time.
Its not even a matter of porting but more streaming if anything.

The Pyra can't possibly run any of the big, complex 3D games, even if they would be ported to ARM-Linux, so it's not really that interesting for many games/-devs. 

And a handheld for streaming probably doesn't need a high-end SoC. Plus, Valves streaming thing is called "in-home streaming" (= stream in a LAN), and you don't really need a handheld (with a huge battery) if you're staying indoors anyways. And if you try to stream in a WAN, the latency will be too high, except if you have really good internet – which is usually not the case if you're using public hotspots or 3G...

Overall, while I do think that Valve may find the Pyra a interesting idea, I don't think that they have any use for it .—.

The Pyra can't possibly run any of the big, complex 3D games, even if they would be ported to ARM-Linux, so it's not really that interesting for many games/-devs. 

I'll debate that, The Pandora can handle Unreal 3 engine fine even bogged down by Android, the Epic Citadel demo has very nice graphics. The OMAP5 is considerable faster than a 1Ghz Pandora even at 500Mhz. the SGX 544 the OMAP5432 has is also a bit more powerful as well. It should be able to handle the Source (Half-Life2) engine games fine if there ever where an ARM flavor of it.

It doesn't matter if the Pyra can or cannot handle complex 3D games. Whether it is capable or not, they are not being ported to an ARM Linux tiny niche market. Maybe we will only see a few indie ports (like e.g. VVVVVV for the Pandora), and we do not need Steam for only a handful of games. Also as LEOXD pointed, the streaming option doesn't make sense for me.

Please remind me what ARCH are we using here?
Steam? For ARM? BwahahahahNO!
If you want steam, you got QEMU, and you can emulate the x86 steamOS in it. (Or even Windows)

Moving Steam to ARM means recompiling all the games.... that happened only once, when the Steam gone Linux... still very few games are available.

I hope the console will be powerfull enough to have QEMU running on it "faster than totally dead".

Back