The Pyra is coming!

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
Hello there!

I guess everybody saw the newspost about the Pyra and how successful was the first run (ok, it cried for RAM). How awesome is this? Later next week we will have a working Pyra prototype and after several months, we will have our very own Pyra in our hands (if nothing goes wrong (I know, anything can go wrong)). And I have several questions (some of them are my old questions).

1- What do you think can go wrong? (And maybe a guess about the release date?)

2- Will * Counter-Strike

* Terraria

* League of Legends (I hate that game but my friends...)

* Any other Steam games

be played on the Pyra?

3- Will 4G/LTE support be worldwide?

4- Will we be able to configure the nubs or the d-pad as something different from the default?

And last but not least...

Are you going to buy a Pyra :D

EDIT : This is NOT a keyboard thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) You'll be surprised. My guess for a release date? Second half of/late 2016.

2) No.

3) Probably not

4) Yes

Yes, I'll buy one.

I will me probadly buy a Pyra, and i allready planed some things i will do whit it,

Per exemple i got me some Dreamcast Games as i only own a First Batch Pandora yet and not expect it to run Dreamcast decent..

I also got me a 128gb SDXC Card to fit all my existing Games i have on the Pandora at 48 gb plus the Dreamcast and some PC Ports..

Mybe the second SD Card Slot will be used for pictures from my Camera, or for playing Fly Videos from my little Drone (if the micro sd card slot on the drone still works, i ditnt used the camera but fluyd just for the sake of flying :) )

I also plans to play some Proper PC Ports on it, like Doom3, or Openmorrowind..

I want the Pyra as an Mobile Phone, and EDC Handheld,

I mean Pictures are also easy to shoot whit the Ipod Touch, only question is how to put they on Pyra..

1: The cases are being made in Greece. Depending on whatever the international bankers decide to do next, there could be trouble getting money to the case company.

At least the cases are designed in Greece. Not sure if these will also be mass produced there. Well, at least for the designing task, they should be not that expensive. The Pyra Case is basicly 90% an tweaked Pandora Case. The same ugly brick tbh.  :rolleyes:   So for my taste, they actualy did not that much.

At least the cases are designed in Greece. Not sure if these will also be mass produced there. Well, at least for the designing task, they should be not that expensive. The Pyra Case is basicly 90% an tweaked Pandora Case. The same ugly brick tbh.  :rolleyes:   So for my taste, they actualy did not that much.
:eek:   :eek:   :eek:    :eek:   :p

2: Terraria may run, as I understand it uses Mono on Linux so it's not impossible but I think it's got a few dependencies that haven't been worked out yet, I can't remember the details: someone was working on getting it going on the Pandora, hit a snag, and stopped. Hypothetically possible but don't bet on it.

Other Steam games may work via exagear iff the 3D can be harnessed properly but those will be limited, Counter Strike may be among them.

3) the 3G module was going to be worldwide but there's no equivalent module in 4G, it comes in Europe and North American versions. EvilDragon is still investigating his options on this as far as I know, nothing has been decided.

1: The cases are being made in Greece. Depending on whatever the international bankers decide to do next, there could be trouble getting money to the case company.
Since greece makes the profit in this game I dont think any banker would complain in this topic.

Well, you know the Pandora will never win a design price.  -_-
Nope. But it's what's inside that counts! ;)
Nah, it's what you do with it that counts.

I think some minor tweaking to the lid could have gone a long way to making Pyra look prettier.

3) the 3G module was going to be worldwide but there's no equivalent module in 4G, it comes in Europe and North American versions. EvilDragon is still investigating his options on this as far as I know, nothing has been decided.
Does the 4G North American one work with most/some major mobile companies in Mexico and Canada?  I am unfamiliar with what is used in those countries even after the discussions about what might work in Canada.

Does the 4G North American one work with most/some major mobile companies in Mexico and Canada?
Yes, it should be* compatible at least with AT&T and T-Mobile, probably Sprint and Verizon (though GSM service outside of their LTE zones seems to be questionable) in the US, and with all standard carriers in Canada: Bell, Rogers, Koodoo, Wind, Mobilicity... have I forgotten anyone?I can't say anything about Mexico, I've done absolutely no research.

(*) "should be" because it's the right frequency and format but honestly who knows what the individual carriers are specifically doing, we can't say for sure it'll work until we try.

Does the 4G North American one work with most/some major mobile companies in Mexico and Canada?
Yes, it should be* compatible at least with AT&T and T-Mobile, probably Sprint and Verizon (though GSM service outside of their LTE zones seems to be questionable) in the US, and with all standard carriers in Canada: Bell, Rogers, Koodoo, Wind, Mobilicity... have I forgotten anyone?
I can't say anything about Mexico, I've done absolutely no research.

(*) "should be" because it's the right frequency and format but honestly who knows what the individual carriers are specifically doing, we can't say for sure it'll work until we try.
Yesterday or the day before I was talking to someone about mobile carriers in the US and again stated that I feel we would be better off if we had gone with what is used in Europe and places I have had to travel to in the past.  It would have made keeping in touch while traveling easier and a little less expensive.  At the time I used Verizon, and now I use T-Mobile and a Sprint (and T-mobile, I think) MVNO.  The worldwide 3G module would work better in such circumstances, however I don't know if the tradeoff is worth it for most people.  Perhaps ED would be open to a 4G (Europe), 3G (World), and wifi only model instead of other options to include NA (and anyone else that uses something different).  I don't know how well voice and messaging will work with something USB based (yes, I know there are other ways to get those services).

Does the Bell you mentioned have ties to the other ("Ma") Bell?  I am fond of Western Electric hardware and other things from the company back then.

Does the Bell you mentioned have ties to the other ("Ma") Bell?
Bell Canada. It was the Canadian arm of the "Ma Bell" conglomerate before the breakup, so yes, direct ties.
I just did a quick search and found out that they were the ones who owned Northern Electric.  Fun stuff.  I think I heard that their equipment was used in some parts of the US.  I have looked at some of their stuff from time to time, but there are other telephones I will try to get my hands on first (I can think of 4 that I really want).

Back on topic, I will most likely preorder a Pyra unless something major changes between now and when preorders are opened.  I would really like to be able to use my Pyra for calls and messages, however I will probably still get a lot of use out of it if that option is not available through a mobile company here.

To my knowledge, they gave up on the OpenGL renderer. The emulator still barely runs at a decent speed on modern high performance desktops. Don't expect anything during the life time of the Pyra.

We may have Saturn, we will have dreamcast, psp (faster than pandora version) 2ds (already on pandora) and maybe more.

3ds is still selling and kind of makes it a no go zone for me.

Back