Release Announcing Platform Game for Pandora

2D Retroperspectives

Still Fresh
Hello hopefully thats the right section to post this :)

...since we are not aware of how many people have heard of us by now we will start with a quick introduction.

We are 2D-Retroperspectives a german game development team founded back in 2009 focusing on creating nostalgic 2d games for various platforms. Since our beginnings we have trained a lot on our various skills, created some loveable games and developed further ideas for future projects.

In early 2011 we released the Jump and Run Game "Jump and Blob" on various open handhelds as well as Open Pandora. Currently we are developing an Action RPG for the Platform and have been quite active in developing some other games on Sega Dreamcast and XBLIG.

Since many of our games were developed as a learning experience to game design up til now, we wanted to make some real attempts in doing things professional. This fact can be seen in the RPG-Project called "Saviour" and another rather ambitious endeavour we recently added to our list of commitment.

We simply love to create games but our work lacks some quality here and there so we decided to revisit our very first game "Jump and Blob", take our +3 years of experience and do a complete new as well as a more professional start with it. What better way to grow than looking back on your roots, eh
icon_e_wink.gif
? aaaaand Open Pandora is a great device to do so!

Well we thought that would be a great oppertunity to gather more interested people and get some awesome feedback from all of you!
Although our concept is quite steadfast it never hurts to listen to some other opinions.
What are your thoughts on platformers in general? Are there some favourits you have? What would you like to see new in the genre? We will leave you to discuss with a few first impressions on the games remastered looks and hope we awoke some interest in you
icon_e_smile.gif

Greetings 2D-RP Team
Visit and or like us on Facebook for more information!

2D-RP on Facebook

These 2 games would be an awesome addition to our repo :)

On a side note, I would echo Porg comment (and many more) on your released game Jump n Blob :

- add a few screenshot to the PND ( I did not even download it because of that, I would bet many pandorian did like me)

- give a better description to it

- add a licence information

(you're requesting for feedback yet you did not reply to the previous feedback...)

I look forward for your next release for our pandy ;)

Saviour does look very interesting, i'd love to see a pandora release and more game info - consider my appetite whetted. To be Honest i loved Jump 'n Blob when it first came out and still play it a lot, the gameplay is pretty solid, its a very charming game. Reblobbed does look interesting but is it a sequel or a remake with different visuals? because although it does look very slick Jump 'n Blob had a style of its own that i still quite enjoy. Maybe it looks a little rough around the edges but this, to me at least, is part of its appeal as the graphics themselves are not bad as such. By comparison Reblobbed is obviously a lot more polished and i wouldnt complain about it appearing on the repo (especially if its a sequel) but i dont consider its visual style as unique as the graphics in Jump 'n Blob.

I've just tried out Jump n Blob, and I'm quite impressed.  I needed to rename the PND to exclude the spaces before I could get it to work (looks like a bug in pnd_run.sh in SZ1.52 - as ever I should really update before raising bugs though).

The biggest improvement you could make immediately I reckon is including some sort of debounce mechanism in the menus - too me two attempts to exit the game because when I selected 'no' not to continue, it immediately started a new game since I'd not immediately released the button.  And I assume you intended to have some music in the intro.

But other than that it's very polished, and I'm looking forward to your future work immensely!

@2D Retroperspectives, Impressive looking games.. I can't wait to try them out.

- add a few screenshot to the PND ( I did not even download it because of that, I would bet many pandorian did like me)
Jump n Blob

+1

This looks gorgeous but I have never downloaded it, put some screen shots on the Repo.

Mind you there have been 176 downloads and only 3 votes, come on guys & gals let's vote these things.

Hi Guys :)

First of all thank you for the surprisingly well feedback to the original Jump and Blob. Sorry for the missing screenshots. We made the upload rather simple because we didnt have a Pandora to work with at the time (neither do we now ^^°....) and the download is just a quick port of the gp2x wiz version.

@monkfish:

Wow! Thank you very much for this big compliment. Its rare to get such an opinion and it makes us happy ;)

Let me tell you a bit about the development process of JnB and why we want to revisit it. First of all we developed it on the run. We had no fancy and thought through design document, which means ideas came and went without documentation. Being our first real project, we had to learn a lot in our respectives fields which were mainly programming and art back then.

In the end there was even more to the game than we could really handle and had much less knowledge about. Being a programmer or artist is fine but even the addition of real love for computer games doesnt help you to get good at jobs like:

level design, background story, character concepts, sound effects and other stuff you need...

In the end you could say, although we managed to release a game which could be recognized as one, we missed a lot of points. The development was more driven by the fact that we wanted to get JnB released than by a clear concept and love for detail.

Thinking about it nearly 3 years after the release, we came to the decision we can do it better now. That does not mean to draw some fancy graphics and be done with it. It means having a real concept to work with.

• A lovable character that stands out as original

(personality and abilitys not just the bump on the head mario thing ^^ although thats cool xD)
  • understandable backgroundstory (short but thought through) and even likeable villians
  • gameplay which makes sense in every detail not just trying to imitate the genre flair

and so on …

In order to finally answer your question its not a remake or a sequel … in fact its a whole new game taking on an idea we had while being in school and couldnt implement any better at that time. Hopefully this little insight explains the background of the project to some extend. Again we thank you very much for your opinion.

Thanks for your answers and interest!

Saviour looks interesting, but, are there any plans for a TURN-BASED RPG, in the vein of Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest?

Me, I tend to like turn-based, menu-driven RPG's.  I guess this is because that is what I grew up with.

Hi in the German Pandora Forum dicussed we a little too over that Game...

..it will be an action RPG with maybe little Alchemy Things like creating Healing Potions from Things and more like this.

I love that Game and when it come out will i buy it.

I donated a little for that many many interesting Game and hope for a Demoversion Release sooon. :)

But i think a Demo Release is far away from now.

The Graphics are so Nice and when People talk to others come everytime a Nice Picture with the People.

The Menu is very lovely designed and what i most await is that little Alchemy Side of the Game :D

All Pictures and Videos what i saw where very IMPRESSIVE ;)

Please write when anyone of us can help for your wonderfull Game Saviour.

When you in Future need Beta Testers,dont forget me :D

Saviour looks interesting, but, are there any plans for a TURN-BASED RPG, in the vein of Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest?

Me, I tend to like turn-based, menu-driven RPG's.  I guess this is because that is what I grew up with.
A turn-based platform game RPG? Such a beast would be interesting indeed!

D.

Since I am never sure if you are sarcastic or serious when addressing me, ZX...

note that I said "in the vein of Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest" - by that I mean, an RPG which has the same type of play style as DW/DQ.

In other words, you select your actions from a menu, everyone gets a turn.  NOT like the ATB battle system of Final Fantasy games, where the computer gets to whale on you non-stop, but YOU have to wait for a beep to attack again, no mater how fast you can mash the buttons.

Now, when someone says "an action RPG" - I think of something like the Final Fantasy series with that ATB battle system that I hate.

A "turn-based, menu-driven RPG" - I think of games like DW/DQ, the Phantasy Star Series, and the original Final Fantasy.

Just so I can clear up exactly what I was talking about.  Hopefully, there is some other interest out there in the type of RPG I am talking about, so that maybe an original game can be programmed.

Incidentally, speaking of Phantasy Star...the original Phantasy Star was better than any 8-bit game had any right to be!!

Usually, the FF-series are also thought of as turn-based (even with ATB) - It is still a matter of the good guys and the bad guys standing opposite each other taking turns. When people say action-RPG, they usually mean something like Diablo or Sword of Mana or something like that (Or even Zelda). 

Since I am never sure if you are sarcastic or serious when addressing me, ZX...
Always, always assume sarcasm. You'll not go too far wrong.

I mean, an RPG which has the same type of play style as DW/DQ.
It was mostly a subtle dig at the topic - someone is making a platformer and you're demanding an RPG. A turn-based RPG at that. Which is just rude, really.

But anyway, to try and steer Kumaki's thread-derailing back onto some sort of track - can anyone think of what a turn-based platformer RPG would play like?

D.

But anyway, to try and steer Kumaki's thread-derailing back onto some sort of track - can anyone think of what a turn-based platformer RPG would play like?
Like AquaVenture, but not underwater and where you can and do actually kill things? I can imagine such a thing.

Well, Popful Mail is a platformer-RPG, so I guess if we take that and make the battles turn-based?

Yes, the topic was talking about a platformer, I GET that...but ALSO the game Savior - an RPG came up in the same topic.  And I was addressing the part about Savior...the RPG...which was mentioned by the OP.

So, no, this was NOT off-topic.

Playing with "Jump and Blob", and after reading your description about this "lacks some quality here and there" I wasn't expecting such a good game, it's very enjoyable.

If it really was your first game made, then now I have a lot of expectations on the other works you are doing :)

I played Jump and Blob back then on my gp2x. However I didn't like it that much, the jump movement was awful and everything seemed to need an animation before it starts, this was quite annoying, so I hope you improved the controls in the new version.

Furthermore I tested it on my pandora again just now and I had to rename the pnd first of all. PND filenames with spaces seem not to work for me, so if you add screenshots, don't forget to change the pnd name, too...

But the graphics are very cute indeed.

I just released a version of an already made game too and have to admit, that was a bad idea. Sometimes you should just finish old ideas and work on new ones. In the end it was quite annoying to finish Snowman, but maybe you have more fun with Jump and Blob. :D

Btw.: Not owning an device isn't an excuse for not adding screenshot, I did this for a long time, too. ;) Here is a board full of interested users, which will gladly test your pnds! :)

Back