Announcing Droidora - - - HELP WANTED

On-topic, please. Your pasta-themed deity of choice doesn't have much bearing on the Droidora project, I'm quite sure. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the name needs an 'n' to make it sound more pandora-ish, like Droindora... or PanDroidora. But your project your choice :p

hows about everyone accepts the bloody name that was given by the person that started the work :p

wouldn't see someone announce a new car and get hundreds of suggestions of better names XD

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic and I absolutely don't want to do that, so I'll ask something I've been wondering as this thread's been going along: How easy is it to get Droidora up and running in its current form? As easy as making a bootable Ångström card using this? (I must admit to being a bit bewildered by the discussion on it earlier in the thread. :blink: )

I suspect your sorted by now Prometheus but for meandu229 it was as simple as using the SD Installer and just changing the autoboot.txt to point to the correct partition, due to the extra swap partition that he may/may not have made. I dont know if he had to then also alter the permissions of the untar´d image with the terminal and swap the uImage and autoboot.txt for the ones in the compiled Droidora package? But i would suspect so.

In my case I followed the wiki and manually made a 2 partition card (`boot´ FAT & `rootfs´ EX2) wth gparted. then simply untar´d the image onto the ext2 partition, changed permissions with the terminal and then copied the uImage + autoboot.txt to the fat partititon and saw if it booted. Alter the delaytime=2 line to other values if it doesn´t but for me it worked first time on a second SD. I must have goofed up the first somewhere, as it was very simple second time round, just untar and a few commands, then a copy paste job and voila! You should find it a doddle :)

My links just cut out the ubuntu piece for windows or Pandora only users, to get the folder of compiled tar image with the included uImage and autoboot.txt more easily.

^ Thanks very very muchly, Mario. :D I'll have to give that a go when I've got a moment.

Today I'm starting wit the writing part of my thesis. So I'll have little time to do actual work on the project. But this is not intended to be a one-man project anyway :) . I'll see if I can do some little things. If you want to help me with the porting stuff, then just do it :) . If you have questions you can contact me here in this Thread or via PM. If you need a new repository for a platform folder I'll set one up. If you have any other issues feel free to post them on the wiki.

Now onwards to LaTex madness!

Having been using Android on the latest Galaxy2 for the last couple of days I so wish the Pandora ran this as the default OS.

As some of you know I've wished it for a long time, but gads, internal politics.
What are you talking about?

It's not even an option until proper port appears, this one only appeared a year after pandora's release, still it's far away from being done. You can't make political decision to use something that doesn't exist.

I think he was talking about how much the community freaked out when he mentioned Android as an OS for the Pandora some while ago on the old boards.

Having been using Android on the latest Galaxy2 for the last couple of days I so wish the Pandora ran this as the default OS.

As some of you know I've wished it for a long time, but gads, internal politics.
What are you talking about?

It's not even an option until proper port appears, this one only appeared a year after pandora's release, still it's far away from being done. You can't make political decision to use something that doesn't exist.

I think its because he was looking to possibly move focus to Android from Angstrom and have Android be the default which most were apposed to as default, but almost all would be happy with a port (or layer like ginge).

Someone mentioned earlier, that its true if he did go this route most would simply reflash with angstrom or some other and run Android from SD.

I too would like to see Android as an option but I'm not into the interface, kind of neat but I rarely use pandoras touchscreen now and wouldn't like being forced to by a system designed around a touchscreen. I rarely use XFCE because of that but when I do I try and stick to buttons as much as possible or plug in actual mouse.

I think he was talking about how much the community freaked out when he mentioned Android as an OS for the Pandora some while ago on the old boards.

That wasn't Android as OS, but as MAIN OS.

I wouldn't want it as main OS either, it's optimized for touchscreen and phones, so I'd get a phone and an iCP if I wanted to play Android games.

The special flavour of the Pandora is that it's a MiniPC and that games released for the Pandora will be optimized to be played on it.

I wouldn't put Android on a normal PC and I would go crazy if I had thousands of games available and only some would work properly (controls, redolution, CPU power, etc.)

I had the same experience with my first netbook... yeah, tons of games available, most didn't work properly.

So Android as secondary OS is great, but as a main OS, it would defeat the purpose of a Pandora in my opinion.

I too would like to see Android as an option but I'm not into the interface, kind of neat but I rarely use pandoras touchscreen now and wouldn't like being forced to by a system designed around a touchscreen. I rarely use XFCE because of that but when I do I try and stick to buttons as much as possible or plug in actual mouse.
If it's any help, you can avoid the touch-screen and a mouse entirely in Xfce - you can use the nubs for mouse-work, and navigate the menus with the keyboard and game-controls. ;)

That is what I was referring to, 20 odd pages of rage.
You and I read a very different 20 pages then, or have a very different notion of rage (which could quite possibly explain a great deal about why it sometimes seems as if you are getting defensive)

As I recall, most of the thread was devoted to agreements that it would be great as an alternative, and a great many reasons why it should not be the default, but very little rage. Certainly nothing to get political over. If I like cake and you like pie, that's not politics, that's just two people who want different things. Again, I say, if you wanted Android on the Pandora, there was absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so, or finding someone who was interested in doing so, just as you're doing with your own repo spec. Absolutely no politics required because at the time there was nothing to get political over.

Now, once Android was (and is now slowly becoming) available, the discussion could turn political. There's a lot of reasons that we may not want Android as the default, but a lot of reasons someone else may. I know that Angstrom will always be an option, so once Android has matured further and people have had a chance to actually use it on the Pandora, I don't see any reason why you couldn't then bring it up as a possible default. Then, and only then, will the discussion be political.

That wasn't Android as OS, but as MAIN OS.

I wouldn't want it as main OS either, it's optimized for touchscreen and phones, so I'd get a phone and an iCP if I wanted to play Android games.

The special flavour of the Pandora is that it's a MiniPC and that games released for the Pandora will be optimized to be played on it.

I wouldn't put Android on a normal PC and I would go crazy if I had thousands of games available and only some would work properly (controls, resolution, CPU power, etc.)

I had the same experience with my first netbook... yeah, tons of games available, most didn't work properly.

So Android as secondary OS is great, but as a main OS, it would defeat the purpose of a Pandora in my opinion.

Well there you go :)

In short, I want Android as an option.

let's be honest, the official OS is hardly optimised for the pandora form factor either. nubs as a mouse is terrible. touchscreen as a mouse is also terrible in the clam shell form factor. windows don't scale properly so they hang off the screen, making the thing crash is as easy as clicking too fast, the browsers are mostly awful (slow, bad rendering etc), there are so many quirks and bugs that it makes it an absolute chore to use for anything more than firing up another piece of software (an emulator, a game, etc). a grid system like android would suit the device way better, i have absolutely no doubt about that. and yes, i know about minimenu or whatever it's called. but it's unattractive and is almost as unreliable as the full blown desktop.

a full desktop environment, as amazing and flexible as it sounds like it could be, is simply not suited to a device this size and shape. enraging linux nerds who demand that the horse be flogged forever more is a small price to pay for an OS that is fluid, bright and finger friendly, easy to navigate, familiar to newcomers and has a huge library of well polished software all ready to go.

Cyberworm, i wish you the very best of luck with your project!

If it's any help, you can avoid the touch-screen and a mouse entirely in Xfce - you can use the nubs for mouse-work, and navigate the menus with the keyboard and game-controls. ;)

Android has built in mouse support with optional cursor

Not in reply to above post

Arguing about android is a dead arguement, help with the port if you can, people will use it if they want, if you don't want to use it or have no interest in using it then don't, if you post in an Android thread about your disinterest in Android, that is very trollish behavior.

I'm very excited in the progress of this port. I watch impatiently from the shadows. Keep up the great work

Arguing about android is a dead arguement, help with the port if you can, people will use it if they want, if you don't want to use it or have no interest in using it then don't, if you post in an Android thread about your disinterest in Android, that is very trollish behavior.

I'm very excited in the progress of this port. I watch impatiently from the shadows. Keep up the great work
Agreed,

There are several things which we will only ever see in an android wrapper or an android port, I really hope this comes off the ground, Wish I had more time and I might be able to help in some small way, maybe after this weekend I will look at it and try to get wifi working .

Back