Votes: 22 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 220 90.9%

• Total voters

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
 For easy judging of the opinions of the forumsphere. Post comments on the poll here, post comments on the debate here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer either "yes" or "no".

I think that yes, Android should be available and supported on the Pandora.

But this does not mean that Pandora shoud "switch" to Android. It really should be an extra option.

And the same applies for Meego.

The vote needs more granularity.
* Yes, as the primary OS
* Yes, as a supported OS
* No, but I would experiment with an unofficial port
* No, I have no interest in Android on the pandora.

That way, you can still have the original split, but understand better why people voted.

I'm not sure I'd say the same for Meego. It is a rather normal GNU system at heart, where Android has a very custom userspace - even going as far as replacing the C library. My main peeve with Meego is that it can't be tried out - it works only on some Intel based netbooks and Nokia tablets, by some strange design. Of course they neglect to mention this excludes the models Intel now promote. The Pandora is closely related to those tablets, though, so could be a reasonably easy port.

tsh said:
* Yes, as the primary OS
* Yes, as a supported OS

That way, you can still have the original split, but understand better why people voted.

/\ This. Poll is too one-sided.

yannv said:
I'm not sure I'd say the same for Meego. It is a rather normal GNU system at heart, where Android has a very custom userspace - even going as far as replacing the C library.
Even the kernel is heavily patched by google. Those patch have even been removed from the official kernel tree.
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_33#head-ca40d5831a6424788bd5f50b70f177c416d3aa90

If they are reasonably OPEN about it, they could manage to bring in some developers from the community, and they could manage to support more than one platform. If they are too CLOSED, however (i.e. they don't release anything until it is not "reasonably ready") this will almost surely fail.

Oscaruzzo said:
I can't answer either "yes" or "no".

I think that yes, Android should be available and supported on the Pandora.

But this does not mean that Pandora shoud "switch" to Android. It really should be an extra option.

And the same applies for Meego.

I think you're missing the very point of the debate... NOBODY is gonna stop you from porting alternative OS's to the Pandora, in fact I would say it is encouraged, but the question here is: should the PRIMARY, DEFAULT OS be Android?

tsh said:
* Yes, as the primary OS
* Yes, as a supported OS

As I said above, it's a moot point. I might HOPE that nobody cares if you wanna have alternate "supported" OSes or experiment with an unofficial port of android. Please don't add unnecessary confusion to the debate by implying that people are "anti-android" or that when people say NO to android they mean "android should be forbidden on the pandora" ...'cause that would just be ridiculous.

No, the poll does NOT need more options and it's NOT too one sided. It seems that many of you android fans have confused yourselves thinking we were talking about "whether or not android should be allowed on the pandora" instead of "whether or not android should be the default OS that ships with the pandora" ...once again, NOBODY WILL STOP YOU FROM PUTTING WHATEVER OS YOU WANT ON THE PANDORA!

Gruso said:
I was going to suggest adding a "supported OS" option, but can OP Ltd really support two operating systems? I'm thinking no.

I'm also thinking OP cannot support 2 OS... specially at the level required to be able to use android marketplace thus only a "YES/NO" poll make sense

mitosis said:
NOBODY WILL STOP YOU FROM PUTTING WHATEVER OS YOU WANT ON THE PANDORA!

I never thought somebody would "stop me putting androind on the Pandora".
What I'm saying is that my opinion is that I would like to see some kind of support for Android from OP, BUT I would not like to have Android installed by default and being the only supported platform.

yannv said:
I'm not sure I'd say the same for Meego. It is a rather normal GNU system at heart, where Android has a very custom userspace - even going as far as replacing the C library. My main peeve with Meego is that it can't be tried out - it works only on some Intel based netbooks and Nokia tablets, by some strange design. Of course they neglect to mention this excludes the models Intel now promote. The Pandora is closely related to those tablets, though, so could be a reasonably easy port.

Isn't that mainly a driver issue? They want to focus on their own platforms so sure they focus first on getting those drivers up to speed. AFAIK meego is supposed to become (at this stage it's more like two separate OSs than a single merged one) a pure open source GNU/Linux-based OS, which means there will be support for other platforms. They are intending it to be used on a large spectrum of devices, so it would not make sense to actually add artificial constraints to the HW layer.

Give it a little time. Meego is taking baby steps learning to walk on its own. It'll get there :)

Oscaruzzo said:
I never thought somebody would "stop me putting androind on the Pandora".
What I'm saying is that my opinion is that I would like to see some kind of support for Android from OP, BUT I would not like to have Android installed by default and being the only supported platform.

OK, fair enough... however I think that asking the OP team to support two OSes would be asking a bit much. So you should ask yourself, as someone who still wants Angstrom as the default OS, do you really want code-polishing time being taken AWAY from the main OS? Do you REALLY want the OP team to be dividing their efforts along multiple fronts?

B-ZaR said:
Isn't that mainly a driver issue? They want to focus on their own platforms so sure they focus first on getting those drivers up to speed. AFAIK meego is supposed to become (at this stage it's more like two separate OSs than a single merged one) a pure open source GNU/Linux-based OS, which means there will be support for other platforms. They are intending it to be used on a large spectrum of devices, so it would not make sense to actually add artificial constraints to the HW layer.
Yes, it's a driver issue - but before that, it's a design decision to require driver features they don't have in software. It's not merely that they include only those two drivers, it doesn't even work with nvidia or ATI drivers. With any other Linux distro, you could download it, run it, and expect it to perhaps be slow, lack transparency, or run at the wrong resolution. With meego, you download it, try to start it, have it fail without explanation, go hunting for the FAQ, and find that it's not supported. No explanation of what needs work, what extension they're missing, or why they need it. I have hopes for meego, but they did choose to put me off.

atomicthumbs said:
you people are discussing in the thread that is not for discussion

Are you really so naive that you thought it WOULDN'T happen?

I WAS discussing the poll, as instructed, in this thread... ya know... clarifying to people why we don't need more options than just "yes" and "no"... making sure people are even understanding the real stakes of the argument...

I guess since my last post I can't say I'm not guilty of discussing in the thread that is not for discussion, but someone made a comment directly aimed at me... I just HAD to reply!!! *mighty mouse fist-in-the-air*

OK ya hooligans! You heard him... BACK TO THE PROPER THREAD FOR DISCUSSION!!!

yannv said:
B-ZaR said:
Yes, it's a driver issue - but before that, it's a design decision to require driver features they don't have in software. It's not merely that they include only those two drivers, it doesn't even work with nvidia or ATI drivers. With any other Linux distro, you could download it, run it, and expect it to perhaps be slow, lack transparency, or run at the wrong resolution. With meego, you download it, try to start it, have it fail without explanation, go hunting for the FAQ, and find that it's not supported. No explanation of what needs work, what extension they're missing, or why they need it. I have hopes for meego, but they did choose to put me off.

Didn't know that. Curious.

lol that video made me forget what I was going to type here. it was good though. XD

hrm... maybe just port some android games over to the pandora?

Back