Android Poll.

Should the Pandora switch to Android?

• Yes

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 220 90.9%

• Total voters

bloody hell I cant reply to the discussion thread! ill just have to reply here, why he thought it was a joke I do not know.

Eniko said:
I like how a lot of people are being like "OMG Y U DONT LIEK ANDROID!?", like that's even the point. Like the point isn't that it'd be stupid as shit to switch to a primary supported OS for which the hardware doesn't have the features to get the most out of it, and which will severely limit the options for non-Android software and developers, and which will likely split a niche community thus causing even further harm.

The Pandora is an open source device, a lot of people wanted it because it had so many options and possibilities and so much software that was just a port to ARM away to use. You take out Python, Mono, lots of libraries and software that'll require significant rewrites just to get them to function on Android and you've just taken away all the freaking potential of the device.

And for what? Marketability? The OS isn't gonna sell Pandoras. The device does that. Besides, how do any of you know the device needs more marketability? The first batch isn't even done, technically right now the Pandora is so freaking marketable that demand far exceeds supply. Getting a bit ahead of things there, aren't you?

Or for getting the commercial devs on board? Because the Pandora running Android means anything for Android will obviously run properly on the Pandora right, despite those missing hardware features! Of course! And I'm sure the Android has tons of high profile AAA rated games, and the devs for those games are going to give half a shit about making sure their games are going to be compatible with our super niche device, right? RIGHT?

And all that is totally worth shitting on preorderers who didn't sign up for any of that, pissing off this niche community's devs, and splitting the community, RIGHT?

Seriously. With so many arguments against this, I wonder if the people here pushing for Android (and being contemptuous towards those who want the device they bought to stay as advertised, no less) aren't just trolling. It boggles the mind.

EDIT: That's the last I have to say about this. If this happens I'm gonna switch back to C# and XNA and focus on the 360 community games instead.

Lol you reading too much into this.

Firstly as you probably know its not too hard to adjust programming to another language as a lot of the syntax is the same anyway.
Secondly you would prob get some nice APIs that will make your software easier to write? more powerfull?
thirdly its highly probable to keep compatibility with the pnd format in android anyway.
finally probably the most important point - it doesn't have to replace the current OS it could be an alternative option for those that like things a bit simpler.

Just because someone wants the Pandora doesn't mean they are Linux experts I'm not an expert the only reason I installed Ubuntu on my PC was so I could learn a little bit about Linux before I got my Pandora and if im being honest its quite a solid os... anyway I digress what im saying is a more user friendly "option" wouldn't be a bad idea, it wouldn't mean pissing on anyone like your saying, it wouldn't alienate any pre-order folk because its just an option

I have the opinion alot of people would probably use android as their main OS on the pandora if it were an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eniko said:
milkshake said:
Firstly as you probably know its not too hard to adjust programming to another language as a lot of the syntax is the same anyway.
what is this i dont even

+1.

Milkshake, Port Firefox to Brainfuck for me, and then revisit that statement.

-God Ginrai

milkshake said:
Eniko said:
what is this i dont even

you don't even ?

You need to learn more about the internet: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/what-is-this-i-dont-even

Just for the record, you might want to learn about programming languages a little before commenting about them.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
+1.

Milkshake, Port Firefox to Brainfuck for me, and then revisit that statement.

I didn't mention porting, crawling through someone else's code isn't easy as everyone has there own programming styles and if the source isn't commented it would be even harder.
what I meant in my original statement was if you or another programmer was going to start writing some new software for another platform using another language it wouldn't be too hard to adjust.
also for those authors that wrote some original software for one platform it would be easier for them to port their own code to another platform/language because they would already know their code inside and out.

God Ginrai said:
You need to learn more about the internet: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/what-is-this-i-dont-even

Just for the record, you might want to learn about programming languages a little before commenting about them.

-God Ginrai

I never even heard of that phrase and I've been using the internet and talking in forums since I was about 13, and to put that into perspective I'm now 26 years old so funny how I never heard that saying before isn't it?

also you don't know what I know about programming languages so why would you make an assumption like that?
What I have said is true, it might be harder to adjust to some languages as opposed to some others but its still possible to adjust to the variances in syntax.

Forget Android, next we should have a lively debate about switching to Sugar.

milkshake said:
also you don't know what I know about programming languages so why would you make an assumption like that?
What I have said is true, it might be harder to adjust to some languages as opposed to some others but its still possible to adjust to the variances in syntax.

I make an assumption like I did because you don't realize that there are more differences in programming languages than just variances in syntax. And even the assumption that there are just "variances" in syntaxes is completely off the mark.

This:
Code:
+++++ +++++
[                    
    > +++++ ++
    > +++++ +++++ 
    > +++            
    > +            
    <<<< -             
]                   
> ++ .               
> + .                 
+++++ ++ .             
+++ .                  
> ++ .                 
<< +++++ +++++ +++++ . 
> .                    
+++ .                  
> + .                 
> .

and this:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
 int main() 
 {
        printf("Hello World!\n");
        return 0;
 }

are very different syntaxes. Oh, and just so you know, they both print "Hello World!" with a newline at the end.

-God Ginrai

milkshake said:
I never even heard of that phrase and I've been using the internet and talking in forums since I was about 13, and to put that into perspective I'm now 26 years old so funny how I never heard that saying before isn't it?

Don't take it personally, some people have a kind of narrow view of "the internet" and coverage of their silly, silly (sometimes fun) catch phrases.

God Ginrai said:
Code:
+++++ +++++
[                    
    > +++++ ++
    > +++++ +++++ 
    > +++            
    > +            
    <<<< -             
]                   
> ++ .               
> + .                 
+++++ ++ .             
+++ .                  
> ++ .                 
<< +++++ +++++ +++++ . 
> .                    
+++ .                  
> + .                 
> .
What language is this? Binary? Machine Code? or is it come type of compiled code?

milkshake said:
God Ginrai said:
Code:
+++++ +++++
[                    
    > +++++ ++
    > +++++ +++++ 
    > +++            
    > +            
    <<<< -             
]                   
> ++ .               
> + .                 
+++++ ++ .             
+++ .                  
> ++ .                 
<< +++++ +++++ +++++ . 
> .                    
+++ .                  
> + .                 
> .
What language is this? Binary? Machine Code? or is it come type of compiled code?

Brainfuck.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
milkshake said:
God Ginrai said:
Code:
+++++ +++++
[                    
    > +++++ ++
    > +++++ +++++ 
    > +++            
    > +            
    <<<< -             
]                   
> ++ .               
> + .                 
+++++ ++ .             
+++ .                  
> ++ .                 
<< +++++ +++++ +++++ . 
> .                    
+++ .                  
> + .                 
> .

Brainfuck.

-God Ginrai

lol that really is a brain fuck but I would imagine that its not suitable for practical use.
wiki says "It is a Turing tarpit, designed to challenge and amuse programmers"

Don't ever seriously try to program something in Brainfuck that isn't a hello world, the one thing it's "good" at. I'm not messing around, it will scar you for life :(

milkshake said:
God Ginrai said:
milkshake said:
God Ginrai said:
Code:
+++++ +++++
[                    
    > +++++ ++
    > +++++ +++++ 
    > +++            
    > +            
    <<<< -             
]                   
> ++ .               
> + .                 
+++++ ++ .             
+++ .                  
> ++ .                 
<< +++++ +++++ +++++ . 
> .                    
+++ .                  
> + .                 
> .

Brainfuck.

-God Ginrai

lol that really is a brain fuck but I would imagine that its not suitable for practical use.
wiki says "It is a Turing tarpit, designed to challenge and amuse programmers"

I was giving a ridiculous case because it was the easiest way to prove your statement false.

Here are some examples for some languages that actually ARE used:

lisp:
Code:
;;; HWorld.lsp

;;; ================================================== ;;;
;;; =========== HELLO WORLD SIMULATION ============== ;;;
;;; ================================================== ;;;

;;; This function simply returns the string Hello World that is in quotes.

(DEFUN HELLO ()
  "HELLO WORLD"
)

cobol:
Code:
000100 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
000200 PROGRAM-ID.     HELLOWORLD.
000400*
000500 ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
000600 CONFIGURATION SECTION.
000700 SOURCE-COMPUTER. RM-COBOL.
000800 OBJECT-COMPUTER. RM-COBOL.
001000 DATA DIVISION.
001100 FILE SECTION.
100000 PROCEDURE DIVISION.
100200 MAIN-LOGIC SECTION.
100300 BEGIN.
100400     DISPLAY " " LINE 1 POSITION 1 ERASE EOS.
100500     DISPLAY "Hello world!" LINE 15 POSITION 10.
100600     STOP RUN.
100700 MAIN-LOGIC-EXIT.
100800     EXIT.

and smalltalk:
Code:
Transcript show: 'Hello, world!'.

@Exophase: I had to code an interpreter in LC-3 assembly for it. XD

-God Ginrai

Compile this!

_,x,y,o ,N;char b[1840] ;p(n,c)
{for(;n --;x++) c==10?y +=80,x=
o-1:x>= 0?80>x? c!='~'? b[y+x]=
c:0:0:0 ;}c(q,l ,r,o,v) char*l,
*r;{for (;q>=0; )q=("A" "YLrZ^"
"w^?EX" "novne" "bYV" "dO}LE"
"{yWlw" "Jl_Ja|[ur]zovpu" "" "i]e|y"
"ao_Be" "osmIg}r]]r]m|wkZU}{O}" "xys]]\
x|ya|y" "sm||{uel}|r{yIcsm||ya[{uE" "{qY\
w|gGor" "VrVWioriI}Qac{{BIY[sXjjsVW]aM" "T\
tXjjss" "sV_OUkRUlSiorVXp_qOM>E{BadB"[_/6 ]-
62>>_++ %6&1?r[q]:l[q])-o;return q;}E(a){for (
o= x=a,y=0,_=0;1095>_;)a= " <.,`'/)(\n-" "\\_~"[
c (12,"!%*/')#3" "" "+-6,8","\"(.$" "01245"
" &79",46)+14], p("" "#$%&'()0:439 "[ c(10
, "&(*#,./1345" ,"')" "+%-$02\"! ", 44)+12]
-34,a); }main(k){float A=0,B= 0,i,j,z[1840];
puts("" "\x1b[2J");;; for(;; ){float e=sin
(A), n= sin(B),g=cos( A),m= cos(B);for(k=
0;1840> k;k++)y=-10-k/ 80 ,o=41+(k%80-40
)* 1.3/y+n,N=A-100.0/y,b[k]=".#"[o+N&1], z[k]=0;
E( 80-(int)(9*B)%250);for(j=0;6.28>j;j +=0.07)
for (i=0;6.28>i;i+=0.02){float c=sin( i), d=
cos( j),f=sin(j),h=d+2,D=15/(c*h*e+f *g+5),l
=cos(i) ,t=c*h*g-f*e;x=40+2*D*(l*h* m-t*n
),y=12+ D *(l*h*n+t*m),o=x+80*y,N =8*((f*
e-c*d*g )*m -c*d*e-f*g-l*d*n) ;if(D>z
[o])z[o ]=D,b[ o]=" ." ".,,-+"
"+=#$@" [N>0?N: 0];;;;} printf(
"%c[H", 27);for (k=1;18 *100+41
>k;k++) putchar (k%80?b [k]:10)
;;;;A+= 0.053;; B+=0.03 ;;;;;}}
http://a1k0n.net/code/donutmk2.c.txt

God Ginrai said:
I was giving a ridiculous case because it was the easiest way to prove your statement false.

I can see that lol, what I mean was once you learn the new syntax it becomes easy because programming still works the same way so just because you might create an array using a different command/funtion doesnt mean how you will use the array will be different, if you know what i mean.

Code:
echo "hello World";

document.write("hello world");

echo hello world

print("hello world");

once you know what you use in each language to accomplish your print to screen or other action it all starts to fit into place.

Back