Android Poll.

Should the Pandora switch to Android?

• Yes

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 220 90.9%

• Total voters

VRAndy said:
Oh, I almost forgot to mention how much I hate forum polls.

They're a ridiculous, wildly inaccurate, nuisance, and the results show more selection bias than they do data.

There. I'm good until the next poll.

That would be a great poll option!

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
VRAndy said:
Do any Android car-puters exist yet? I haven't been able to find any.
Not outside the modder communities... yet. If ford can think MS can provide good content for it's cars, I'm sure many other will find android as a compeling plateform. And if that don't happen, then google will work on it anyway (see google TV...)

Hmm.... Too bad. My current (new) car has no radio ... but that's OK because I don't really listen to the radio very often. But some sort of unified GPS/MP3 platform that fit into the slots where a radio would go .... now that would be nifty. Haven't really looked into it though.

SomeGuy99 said:
I think it would be quite reasonable for OpenPandora to sell Android loaded machines alongside what we currently have. The people buying those would be people who want Android, so it wouldn't split the community. Those customers would not be interested in the Angstrom variant, as they have chosen to purchase an Android machine. It is unreasonable to force customers who would prefer Android to use Angstrom.

An Android variant would bring in different customers that wouldn't otherwise exist. Not much point right now, as supply cannot meet demand... and the current demand is for Linux, presumably, as people have been happy to pay for that.

Ed, Notaz, DaveC, Skeezix and other devs have stated they are commited to the existing firmware. Craig will need to find other developers if he wishes to pursue an Android port. If Craig wishes to spend his money on this, then it isn't our place to judge him for this. All of us in the first batch got our machines for less than the unit price (including development costs). We should respect any efforts made to claw back the investment the team have put into this project, so long as it doesn't remove features first batchers have paid for. Selling Android units alongside Angstrom ones would not take away from what we already have.

Except that would require them to either put extra work into maintaining a second OS, which they don't have. Therefore, they would have to split the work between the two OSes, therefore making the quantity and quality of updates degrade for both platforms.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Except that would require them to either put extra work into maintaining a second OS, which they don't have. Therefore, they would have to split the work between the two OSes, therefore making the quantity and quality of updates degrade for both platforms.

-God Ginrai

The existing devs say they are committed to the current firmware. An Android port will need a new team, and probably cost money. That doesn't pull any resources away from the setup we already have.

You could argue that Craig should spend his money on developers for the existing firmware, but that would cause contention anyway. I seem to recall that people were unhappy about this (in the bounties thread), because it would be disrespectful to the volunteer firmware devs.

jb0yx said:
well I bought the pandora because it plays emulators and jump on the web and crap, I personally don't care about how open/closed it is.
there isn't any competition out there in a reasonable price range... that's the only reason I bought into it. I guess I'm a niche of the niche then? o_O
I was meaning that the true value of the pandora is its community. And wanting a pandora without at least having an overview of was going on is just a non-sense and will drive to unhappy customers (as most thing happen here anyway)

jb0yx said:
The point I'm trying to make is that it is just little stuff like that enhances the user friendliness of it.
Sure there many rough edge. but this will smoothen a lot.

jb0yx said:
why is there so much hate toward android?
please read me.
That's my humble opinion.
And we do not hate it : I still plan on having an android phone next time. but this is not the point of the pandora.

I seen a video of someone running a n64 rom, they went into like 4 different menus and some other crap, to play a snes rom i literally tap my screen 3 times, unlock screen + open program + run rom... it doesn't get much less complicated than that.
You must have been looking at some early beta, or a setup that hadn't been configured properly.

I just ran an N64 rom with two double-clicks. First I double-clicked on the muppen64 icon on my desktop, then I double-clicked on "Mario Kart 64(U)".

Easy.

What really matters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWrV8LuX04&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5fKrScVtP8&feature=related

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj5sKT_2-Dg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1yymGWDnA&feature=related

SomeGuy99 said:
You could argue that Craig should spend his money on developers for the existing firmware, but that would cause contention anyway. I seem to recall that people were unhappy about this (in the bounties thread), because it would be disrespectful to the volunteer firmware devs.

And you don't think that those same volunteer firmware devs would feel burned by Craig paying people to develop Android for the Pandora?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:

And you don't think that those same volunteer firmware devs would feel burned by Craig paying people to develop Android for the Pandora?

-God Ginrai

You should ask them I guess.

The way I see it, those devs were interested in developing the Linux firmware. They can carry on developing that, presumably because that's what they enjoy the most.

It depends on the motivation really.

If loading Android on some of the Pandora units keeps the company alive in healthy profit, we all benefit. It might even fund a successor the the Pandora... assuming we can load Linux onto that one too, we will reap the rewards.

Very hypothetical though. It depends on meeting demand, should it exist.

I say go for it... Windows Mobile and Symbian too. Why the hell not? A Pandora for every taste.

Was looking today, I didn't expect Android apps to look this good...or to find one that'd be perfect for Pandora. http://meandmydroid.blogspot.com/2010/06/heavy-gunner-3d.html - You control two guns, usually with on screen dual joysticks in a rather good looking arcade-style shooter. Android working on the Pandora (or at least the JVM and plenty of hacks) is the only way we are getting any real quantity of commercially developed titles.

Just thought I'd chime in after reading the thread so far to say that I very much agree with Eniko on all accounts here. Also I didn't catch Dflem's joke, which caused me to facepalm after I did.

Like I said in the other topic, switching is a definite no, but having it as an alternate OS (especially for people who aren't so technologically advanced) would be great.

Since I am not an OS expert...

Since the Android OS also based on Linux and open source what would the sacrifices be if the Pandora did move to an Android OS?

^ Check the other thread that blew up yesterday ;)
Since I've seen the Quake 3 performance on ODROID I lost the microscopic amount of interest I had in it. The browser is not bad though I have to admit.

Natro said:
Since I am not an OS expert...

Since the Android OS also based on Linux and open source what would the sacrifices be if the Pandora did move to an Android OS?

Quote from Wikipedia

Linux compatibility

* Android's kernel was derived from Linux but has been tweaked by Google outside the main Linux kernel tree.[117] Android does not have a native X Window System nor does it support the full set of standard GNU libraries and this makes it difficult to port existing GNU/Linux applications or libraries to Android.[118]
* Google no longer maintains the code they previously contributed to the Linux kernel as part of their Android effort, effectively branching kernel code in their own tree, separating their code from Linux.[119][120][121] The code which is no longer maintained was deleted in January 2010 from the Linux codebase.[122] However, Google announced in April 2010 that they will employ staff to work with the Linux kernel community.[123]

TrashyMG said:
Android does not have a native X Window System nor does it support the full set of standard GNU libraries and this makes it difficult to port existing GNU/Linux applications or libraries to Android.

Correction: this CAN make it difficult. It shouldn't be assumed that it'll always be. Being based off the same kernel still gives you a lot that another OS wouldn't.

TrashyMG said:
Linux compatibility

* Android's kernel was derived from Linux but has been tweaked by Google outside the main Linux kernel tree.[117] Android does not have a native X Window System nor does it support the full set of standard GNU libraries and this makes it difficult to port existing GNU/Linux applications or libraries to Android.[118]
* Google no longer maintains the code they previously contributed to the Linux kernel as part of their Android effort, effectively branching kernel code in their own tree, separating their code from Linux.[119][120][121] The code which is no longer maintained was deleted in January 2010 from the Linux codebase.[122] However, Google announced in April 2010 that they will employ staff to work with the Linux kernel community.[123]

It seems pretty clear to me then... The underlying premise and selling point of the Pandora project is to provide a fully customizable device. If having the Android OS would put the Pandora at the mercy of Google's support it would seem contrary to the mission statement of the Pandora project. That same freedom of customization, however, should not omit the Android OS but it becoming the default OS does not seem like the right thing to do.

ok well I'm getting tired of reading about this, the general consensus is that android isn't welcome by the diehard, it's cool we get it.

I have a question though, when I get my pandora in the next month or less (hopefully), is there a flashable port of android I can use?

I seen that video from over a year ago, and I've pm'ed the guy that ported it capju or whatever his name is, but regardless I got no response from him and nobody ever said where that project resided.

I personally want to use android, I don't care if it's the main os or not, but for my own personal use, I would like to use it. Can anyone point in the correct direction? thanks

Back