Android gingerbread in a pnd?

hrmmm maybe it had something to do with the fact that I had the SD containing the pnd itself in the right socket when I launched it then...

- Neelix

Just wanted to say thanks for this Notaz. Great work as always. I'm already finding that I'm using Android for quite a few games and even some internet video due to full screen goodness.

Cut the rope plays great, slightly slow but perfectly playable. Angry birds runs about 80% of full speed speed compared to my tablet, again perfectly playable. Random Mahjong runs great if a tad slow on the tile animations, once more perfectly playable. One of my favourite Tower Defense games Lair Defense runs a tad slow but again perfectly playable. All in all a great experience for a beta release. I can feel a donation coming on soon to compliment the three I sent you for PCSXrearmed.

BTW I'd like to recommend 1mobile as a great alternative to the android market while we wait. IMHO it's better than Slide me. You can download all the apks to your android SD card download directory via your PC then stick the card back in the Pandora, boot android and install them from the file manager within android. Much quicker for me than my pandora connection.

One of the first apps I got from 1mobile was Trustgo Antivirus. It comes with some great system tools including a system manager that has a little brush icon that when clicked clears down running apps giving you lots of memory back for playing games.

As for browsers I can't recommend Dolphin HD enough. It's by far and away the best android browser I've used and runns pretty well on the Pandora.

ToaD

Anyone tested out any music streaming software on here like Spotify? It was something many people were keen to have a solution for previously but QT spotify was a little buggy. Also any alternatives, obviously!

^

256MB or 512MB of RAM in your Pandora?

Thanks for the info you posted as well.

My Pandora's a plain 256MB version. Android could certainly use more than I have available but the system manager bit of TrustGo makes a heck of a difference usually giving me several tens of MB back when clicked.

Those 512MB Pandoras are looking more tempting now ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^

256MB or 512MB of RAM in your Pandora?

Thanks for the info you posted as well.

My Pandora's a plain 256MB version. Android could certainly use more than I have available but the system manager bit of TrustGo makes a heck of a difference usually giving me several tens of MB back when clicked.

Those 512MB Pandoras are looking more tempting now ;)
could you not use swap file sdram i have 750mb and surfing and other processes run smoothly

Not yet, unfortunately.

But while reading some websites, there is a hint, that came up often that the value for screen resolution let the market descides if an app is flagged as incompatible.

To change/ set in the value in build.prop insn't enough. It only changes the screen resolution.

The build.prop isn't the only config, the market looking for.

There are some xml under /data/data/android.vending.com.

Even things like possible graphic options of the devices graphic unit are values the market looking for.

That's maybe the reason, why some of the older programms, we can see are downloadable and newer one not.

This compatibility check came up only in later market versions.

There are some projekts like Cyanogenmod and the N900 port NitDroid, the market problem was solved..

Since the N900, semms to match the hardware of the Pandora, maybe a look in the NitDroid forum brings a solution. But had not time to read.

I've finally tracked down 3d issue, as expected it was SGX drivers not setting a flag Android wants, and it ended up doing some operations in software mode (which wasn't obvious as soft rasterizers use self-modifying code, I though that was recompiled java instead; and SGX still did some of the work, so looked like working..).

I've found out Cyanogenmod already has a workaround for this (disabled by default though) so I switched relevant components to it. That didn't go well, it wasn't even compiling anymore, so I ended up migrating to Cyanogenmod almost completely. Then it was building again, but no longer booting, after spending some hours messing around it I've got it to boot, but now it doesn't accept any input, maybe it thinks the screen is off, who knows?

So it's kind of a 1 step forward, but 2 steps back, real messy. Ohwell, at least we've got Cyanogenmod now, maybe...

If you have cyanogen mod now, I'd say stay with it, as it is the most maintained custom android I know.

could you not use swap file sdram i have 750mb and surfing and other processes run smoothly

I've not tried swap on Android. Is it easy to set up?
This is for angstrom m8 not android although it may work someone will need to confirm its a total doddle m8 just download from the repo start up goto create swapfile then choose where to create it itll take 2-5 mins depending how big then itll say swapfile created successfully then goto activeate swap file and if all goes well itll say swapfile activated successfully and thats it to test if it is working download mame 106 and try starting dragon blaze or strikers 1945 3 if these two games start your using sdram as they require over 300mb to start.
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=swaptools-0.1-slaeshjag

Ah, I've already got swap on Angstrom. I haven't enabled it before starting Android. I don't see how that'll make a difference to Android or will it? Maybe I'll just try it LOL

Ah, I've already got swap on Angstrom. I haven't enabled it before starting Android. I don't see how that'll make a difference to Android or will it? Maybe I'll just try it LOL
That would be an idea lol :) :p :D

Back