hosant said:
psp-mockupengadget.jpg

1Ghz SnapDragon.
Android 3.0
D-pad & multy-touch pad
PSX to PSP graphics (??).
Special Android Market Place.
This October.

Never coming. Doesn't exist. Sony would never put their money into such a vulnerable platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it does exist I'm not surprised. It was only a matter of time before one of the big boys make an Android gaming device. Probably didn't expect Sony to lead the way though if it's true.

I can't see why Sony wouldn't use their own PSP operating system, modified to make calls and such. Android is so easy to crack, it only makes sense for open source.

That "mockup" looks like it took 10 seconds to make. I'd be surprised if there's any truth to this, but I'd buy a PSP-Android phone in a heartbeat.

Sony and Sony Ericsson is not exactly the same is it? This phone probably won't be backed by big name games like the next PSP will. After all, it's just a cellphone with gaming controls. Anyway, i want it even though its probably going to cost >600€

It doesn't really make sense for Sony Computer Entertainment to allow this, as it would dilute their market.

I don't think it is a hoax, the render is just an example how it could look like. It would provide a huge boost for gaming on the Android platform. Only the rumors and the latest actions from Google will motivate game developers to develop for Android.

Sony already made something like this, though its for IM

200px-Mylo_com-1.jpg

Dont forget the N-Gage

300px-Nokia_N-Gage.png

These didn't really catch on, did they? I've only ever seen an n-gage once, and it was used for a phone mostly. They aren't really practical. I shouldn't be to judging, though. the game gear didnt really catch on as well as the gameboy, and I have one lol.

(yes i know the ngage was made by nokia.

Well, the um... "fake" sony thing might be popular if it has a low price. I don't think it could compete with the ipod touch or anything.

b_o_b said:
I don't think it is a hoax, the render is just an example how it could look like. It would provide a huge boost for gaming on the Android platform. Only the rumors and the latest actions from Google will motivate game developers to develop for Android.
Sony backing a solution that isn't its ?
remember memorystick ? UMD ?
Sony have never embrassed openess (and don't make me laugh even more stating the otherOS option...)

Is Sony working on a new gaming handheld ? Sure. With the 3DS coming and the psp-go debacle, they need to and will.
Using Android plateform, only in engaget wet-dream. (wasn't them apple minded these days ?)

sebt3 said:
Sony backing a solution that isn't its ?

On the engadget site:
" Right now we're working on getting even more detail about the phone and partnership, but we can tell you now that this is not a random rumor -- we have reason to believe that what we've heard and seen is real and coming to market. It makes perfect sense in a way"

Looks like a pretty serious statement. We don't know everything about the device and Sony can pretty much hide Android as much as they like. And don't forget Sony is already producing Android phones with Ericsson.
I also don't believe they just create a phone with android on it + gaming controls though, that is something a Chinese company would do. It might have some additional PSP 1 features or even capable of a new proprietary format.

Anybody see the Rage iPhone tech demo? Shit is intense. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/carmack-blows-minds-with-id-softwares-rage-running-on-iphone-a/

Google definitely needs to do something, this phone would be a big step in that plan. Android is way too fragmented to make years of engine development like id did feasible, the platform may compete with iOS for sales but phones with the same hardware doesn't come close.

Dont forget the N-Gage

300px-Nokia_N-Gage.png

These didn't really catch on, did they? I've only ever seen an n-gage once, and it was used for a phone mostly. They aren't really practical. I shouldn't be to judging, though. the game gear didnt really catch on as well as the gameboy, and I have one lol.

(yes i know the ngage was made by nokia.

Well, the um... "fake" sony thing might be popular if it has a low price. I don't think it could compete with the ipod touch or anything.[/quote]

First of all, look at the picture of the N-Gage. No mystery why that didn't catch on. Second, the Android marketplace has no problem with emulators. If Sony makes this, lots of people will buy it for that and why would they care? They make their money off the subsidy on the phone like any other. The reason they try to lock down the PSP is because they sell it for a loss (well, they did a looong time ago) and make their money on the games. They don't have to do that here. They make the phone, put it out there and may never touch it again.

I don't know if this thing is real or not but the arguments that I've heard against it being real aren't holding water.

fischju2000 said:
Android is way too fragmented to make years of engine development like id did feasible

No. Android is no less fragmented than the PC market. This is a problem, certainly, and would mean that any sort of broad AAA Android game market would be more complex to develop, setup, and use, but it's certainly not infeasible by any stretch.

I loved my old Ngage QD. But my old house mate stole it. :(

Nova said:
I loved my old Ngage QD. But my old house mate stole it. :(

A few years ago my Gamestation were selling off old stock, boxed QD's (including limited editions) for £10. I bought quite a few.

The problem is that CEX were buying them for £35 cash. Too tempting.

Back